Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Clipper thread recommendation thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Clipper thread recommendation thread!

I am a Rank Amateur Groomer, I just do m y English Cocker!

My Oster A5 died a grissly death after it's last drop onto tile floor.

I didn't weep though...

It's 35 years old.

I'll just call it "TOO"

It's TOO Heavy

It's TOO Hot

It's TOO Noisy

It's TOO Slow

So I'm looking at new clippers and would like some recommendations of these few

Andis Excel 5 Speed or 2 Speed
    Andis AGC2 2 Speed
    Furzone 610, which I just found out about

Worried about the Andis cord issues, even though I can replace a cord. May not be an issue for me since I am only using it once a month or so.

I am able to do all my own maintenance and repair. I am not going to re-house the Oster because it's just TOO, if you know what I mean...

LOVE my Andis Excel 5-speed. I had it for almost three years now, have not had any problems with cord, or anything else for that matter. My table sits against a wall, so I don't walk around the table, maybe this results in less cord twisting? Anyway, this clipper is very light, it will work good on your cocker coat (but you will have to watch the blade temperature if you are using it on high speed).

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
      LOVE my Andis Excel 5-speed. I had it for almost three years now, have not had any problems with cord, or anything else for that matter. My table sits against a wall, so I don't walk around the table, maybe this results in less cord twisting? Anyway, this clipper is very light, it will work good on your cocker coat (but you will have to watch the blade temperature if you are using it on high speed).
      My Clipper needs are pretty light, I just need a good one though.

I do his throat, Face, Top 1/3 of his ears, Private parts and under tail.

Just need a good clipper that cuts well. It is amazing how thick those areas can get even though I do them monthly.

I think the Excel 2 speed looks pretty interesting

Was wondering what the real difference is between an Excel and an AGC?

Also wondering about the Furzone.

Comment

I would actually recommend the Oster Lithium Pro. A little pricier maybe, but light, quiet, long lasting enough battery power for you to do what you describe. No cord issues. Stays cooler.

Comment

The Excel 5 speed is my regular clipper, Excel 2 speed hasn't been out long and is same price as the 5 speed. The Furzone 610 is my back up clipper and I really like it. IDK, why I call it my back up clipper as I use it everyday....just not as much as my Excels. I think the Furzone 610 would make an excellent clipper for an owner that does their own dog.......it is light, fits the hand well, is quiet, has a lighter cord, and clips very well, has a good price on it.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I think I am going to get the Excel 5 speed.

Comment

If you're just doing ears face sanitary and tail I'd get a Bravura.

You will be surprised at how hot the blades on the Andis get compared to your old Oster. Unless you are really fast it will be hot. It's not much of an issue for groomers that are quick and have multiple blades, but I find my friends that groom their own dogs complain. The Bravura won't have that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                If you're just doing ears face sanitary and tail I'd get a Bravura.

You will be surprised at how hot the blades on the Andis get compared to your old Oster. Unless you are really fast it will be hot. It's not much of an issue for groomers that are quick and have multiple blades, but I find my friends that groom their own dogs complain. The Bravura won't have that issue.
                I'm trying to avoid cordless, but I'll add that one to my thinking. I usually do his face and ears at one time and the rest on another weekend. I do have multiple blades in each size and swap them usually halfway through.

The Bravura looks like it clips pretty close. I had to go to a 7 for my Doggies throat because he always ended up with clipper burn from the 10.

Comment

Originally posted by les_garten View Post
                  I'm trying to avoid cordless, but I'll add that one to my thinking. I usually do his face and ears at one time and the rest on another weekend. I do have multiple blades in each size and swap them usually halfway through.

The Bravura looks like it clips pretty close. I had to go to a 7 for my Doggies throat because he always ended up with clipper burn from the 10.
                  You may want to bathe your dog before clipping. I had a dog who always got hot spots after grooming, but when I started bathing first, she hasn't had a single one. Yes, the Bravura clips anywhere from a 40 to a 9 length. The Bravura can also be run plugged in. I have American cockers and you wouldn't be disappointed with the smoothness of the clip.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                    You may want to bathe your dog before clipping. I had a dog who always got hot spots after grooming, but when I started bathing first, she hasn't had a single one. Yes, the Bravura clips anywhere from a 40 to a 9 length. The Bravura can also be run plugged in. I have American cockers and you wouldn't be disappointed with the smoothness of the clip.
                    Hmmm, that's interesting. He never gets very dirty or very long haired. He's my bed dog so he gets a bath every weekend. Not sure I'd ever call him dirty! He was getting the burn everytime when I used the 10 on his throat. I went to a 7 for everything and have to clip him a little more often but to be honest, I like the way his face and ears looks with a 7 anyhow. So there really wasn't anything I was giving up.

Comment

Must agree the Brav is my suggestion too. I had a poo mix that could take a 10. Always had a bit of skin allergy, nothing bad, but enough to react to clipping 10 or higher.

Comment

I love my Oster A6

Comment

I received my Excel 5 speed in Silver yesterday. Seems pretty nice with a well known track record.

If you folks were to recommend a Cordless that will take A-5 blades what would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by les_garten View Post
                            Hmmm, that's interesting. He never gets very dirty or very long haired. He's my bed dog so he gets a bath every weekend. Not sure I'd ever call him dirty! He was getting the burn everytime when I used the 10 on his throat. I went to a 7 for everything and have to clip him a little more often but to be honest, I like the way his face and ears looks with a 7 anyhow. So there really wasn't anything I was giving up.
                            This is the girl who used to get them. Definitely done every single week. No way to keep up this hair otherwise. She wouldn't be 'dirty either' Though she wasn't necessarily getting clipped every week, unless bathe first when she did get clipped she would inevitably get a hot spot. Just food for thought.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Les, be sure to go to Northern Tails site to see how to tie wrap the cord on the top of Excels......it is a bit "top" heavy on the cord and this method will keep it from shorting out for many yrs.
                              For a cordless,.I would go with the Wahl Lithium Bravaura....you can use the plastic combs that come with it or order a set of SS combs. Do some looking as I have noticed some companies have a good price, free diamond 5 in 1 blade and free shipping for around 156.......some other companies want around 300 with regular 5 in 1 blade plus shipping.
                              I just ordered a new one myself, as I was down to one Bravara (I shudder at the thought of grooming without a Bravara. ...so handy for sooooo many things)
                              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X