Shears, and clippers help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shears, and clippers help!

I have been grooming for about a year now,I graduated and and have been using the kit I got for them, I am looking to purchase new clippers and shears. I currently have the km2 and my shears are show gear, does anyone have some recommendation? I have talked to the ladies at work and they just said to buy a cheap pair, should I?help!! Also I don't want to break the bank.

If you are only grooming to kill time until 'something better comes along' or you get s husband/ spouse, or have no passion for this life / then buy chew stuff. Then in the year or so that you work you won't mind the wear and tear on your hands from using du standard equipment.
    If you do stay grooming for several years plan on replacing your cheap stuff several times.
    Buying cheap is NEVER a good idea. Do your research, ask questions and buy the best you can afford. If you can't buy it now- safe and buy it a little later.

Now, if you are still reading ---- Geib, Jeff at Northern Tails has some good inexpensive shears , Kenchii has good starter sets ( that LAST). And I'm sure there are others

Comment

No one can tell you which brand is best for you.........you need to go to a grooming expo and handle the variety of shears and clippers and see what best fits your hand. Just remember, the cheaper you buy, "the quicker it will kick you in the butt". Also, look into the shear's guarantee regarding sharpening. To keep up the warranty, you need to use their certified sharpeners........some cost $20 each (Kenchii) to sharpen, others are free with a minimum of $8.50 for shipping and insurance (Chris Christensen). My scissors have lasted over 7 yrs now and are in perfect working order with proper sharpening and care. Respect your tools and they will perform. Clippers come in all different weights, shapes and speeds, so once again, you need to figure out which one fits your hand and your needs. Some salons do a lot of heavy strip downs, .......me......... I'm mobile and all my dogs are on tight grooming schedules, so my clippers do not need to be heavy duty. Good Luck with your career.

Happy going to seminars

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Jeff's shears are awesome! They're inexpensive, but I honestly like them as much or better than any of my really pricey shears.

Honey is right though. Never skimp on equipment, you'll hurt yourself and sacrifice groom quality that way.

Comment

Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
          Jeff's shears are awesome! They're inexpensive, but I honestly like them as much or better than any of my really pricey shears.

Honey is right though. Never skimp on equipment, you'll hurt yourself and sacrifice groom quality that way.
          I agree with all of the above. I love ALL my shears, chunkers and thinners from NT. I also like my Monks.
          Clippers.....I love my Andis Excels (5 speed, but they now have a Excel 2 speed, haven't tried it). Jeff at Northern Tails sells the Furzone Sarge 610 clipper and I use it as well and really do like it. If you want cordless, Wahl Bravaras of some sort with the 5 in 1 blade and metal combs.
          Good luck and have fun.......but don't skimp on good equipment, you can always resell good equipment.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I learned to never skimp on my tools, but I do look for good buys on them.

Comment

Would you recommend the Andis excel over the KM 10? I like my KM2, like the way it feels and fits in my hand, their are not any grooming expos anywhere near me for a while, I was thinking having my shears sharpened, getting a new clipper, then save up get new shears. I love grooming, it is something i want to do, just cant swing everything at once. I have heard the Andis has had a lot of issues, wondering if those have been fixed? Also i was told Wahl is more a person hair clipper and Andis is a groomers clipper...??

Comment

Originally posted by SharonKutz View Post
                Would you recommend the Andis excel over the KM 10? I like my KM2, like the way it feels and fits in my hand, their are not any grooming expos anywhere near me for a while, I was thinking having my shears sharpened, getting a new clipper, then save up get new shears. I love grooming, it is something i want to do, just cant swing everything at once. I have heard the Andis has had a lot of issues, wondering if those have been fixed? Also i was told Wahl is more a person hair clipper and Andis is a groomers clipper...??
                Never used the KM clippers but since you like your KM2, you might like the KM10. They are Wahl so not sure where you heard Wahl was more a human clipper. Have you looked at all the clippers out there? There are many Andis, Wahl, Furzone, DoubleK, ect. Look at some grooming sites Wahl has many different DOG clippers.
                Last edited by Cyn; 09-27-15, 07:15 AM.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                X