Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the diffrence between convex and beveled edge shears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the diffrence between convex and beveled edge shears?

whats the diffrence? and what exatually is a finishing shear?
    Hound

Finishing shear

A finishing shear is a shear that cuts well and is balanced, leaving a smooth, "finished" look. It is also one that never touches an unwashed dog, in general. (That work is for a "roughing" shear.)

As for the convex, etc. - I do not know as I don't own one and haven't looked into them. But that's because I love the scissors I already have.

Comment

I don't know the difference really, except that my convexes cost more to sharpen and they seem to stay a lot sharper a LOT longer than any of my bevels.
      Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

I believe convex is curved and beveled is angled, I could be wrong but I'm thinking that is what it is.

Comment

is one type better than the other type????
          Hound

Comment

Ok, lets see..
            bevel edge (razor edge) = German edge, cut crisp, and good for newer groomers still developing in scissoring as they hold coat well for firm scissoring.
            convex edge (hollow ground)- "buttercuts"= Japanese edge. They are sharpened on both sides of the cutting edge to form a convex edge- like a clamshell. To more easily remember the difference, think of Japanese grooming and how much their work is all hand scissored--and done so beautifully; no offense meant to our American groomers who have mastered this craft!!! These shears are often finishing or lightweight shears that are designed to sculpt quickly and make for less "drag" on the coat.
            Beveled edges are often (but not always) serrated and these cut crisp, they take off more hair quickly as the edge holds the hair against the cutting edge better and they work great on coats like Maltese, Yorkies, or breeds with fineness to their coat.
            Convex shears are extremely sharp and fast actioned; best for sculpting all over for a finish like on a Bichon or Poodle, or a dog with thick coat like a Cocker. They are what I call "big girl shears" meaning you've really got to know what you are doing when using them to use them to their fullest potential.
            It is still personal preference, but if you understand the differences, you'll see you scissor differently when you use the two and actually are looking for the difference they each offer.
            I HIGHLY recommend getting BBird's book, "All About Shears"- it's fabulous, and the ONLY book of its kind in our industry (no one could do it better anyway so why try!?).
            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

shears

it is the way the edge is made so they need to be sharpen in different way, the convex is been promote as a finish shear the bevel is in between finishing and every day, buy i like my bevels better than the convex, so which is better will depend only on your preference, the finishing shear leaves a smother cut, and is meant to do that, but again it will depend on what dogs are you doing, what cuts, what clients and all that, because the diff in price is big.
              the bevel edge is really hard to sharp so many times sharpeners have hard time doing them so the live of the shear gets shorter

Comment

hey thanks windy!!!!!!!!! thats teh explenation i was looking for!!! now i can share this info with my boss and we can finally understand the diffrence between the two shears!
                Hound

Comment

Originally posted by dagroomer View Post
                  the bevel edge is really hard to sharp so many times sharpeners have hard time doing them so the live of the shear gets shorter
                  I think you mean convex. Bevel edge shears are very easy to sharpen. Just the outside of the blade is sharpened and it's sharpened at a flat angle. This angle is typically 10 to 35 degrees.
                  A convex shear needs the outer edge not only sharpened to a much sharper 45-50 degree angle but the edge needs to be properly blended into the blade and polished. When you look at the outside edge of a convex shear you should not be able to see a transition point where the scissor has had metal removed. They also need to be taken apart and sharpened on the inside of each blade. Where the inside edge gets sharpened is referred to as the ride line. or hone line. It needs to be sharpened to a mirror like finish and it needs to stay even from the pivot to the tip. Applying uneven pressure while sharpening will cause the line to be wider at some part of the shear, usually near the tip. Properly maintaining a ride line is especially difficult on a curved shear. Most sharpeners don't even try to do ride lines on curved shears but it came with one for a reason. Without it the shear will be noisy, not stay sharp as long and will nick easier.

The big advantage of a convex edge is that it's generally more precision and causes less hand fatigue (under most conditions). The advantage of a bevel edge is the ability to whack off large amounts of hair when necessary, it's cheaper to sharpen, and less likely to be permanently damaged by improper sharpening. If the wrong person tries to sharpen a convex shear it can take years out of it's life and unless you know what to look for you may not be aware that the damage is happening.

Think of a bevel edge as the four wheel drive pickup. It can drive anywhere and just about any mechanic can fix it. The convex edge is your Ferrari. It can't handle off-road driving but you can drive around the mountain instead of over it and end up in the same place. it's sleek, smooth and and precise but a good mechanic is more expensive and harder to find.

There are also semi-convex variations that fall in-between the two if your not confused enough already.

Comment

Awesome thread! Thanks for all this info!
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

This was a very clear and helpful discription of the two types of shears. Thanks a lot!

Comment

wow..

I never even thought anything about the two... I just pick up a shear I like and if it feels good in my hand, I buy it.... now I have never spent more than 150 on a pair of shears, but I remember one sharpenner telling me that they had to take apart my shear and do something fancy to it... I just figured it was the brand.

Now I feel like a scissor fool hehe... I groom show poodles and compete and didn't even know the science behind my scissors.. hehe

Comment

a bevel or german edge is shaped kinda like a v, two straight edges meeting to form a sharp edge, they are durable and cheaper to sharpen, typically these are the "workhorse shears." Convex shears have a curved inner edge, this means that the shears can be dinged more easily but create a finer finish, they cost more to sharpen, and are typically used just for finish work. If you look at the edges of a bevel shear next to those of a convex it makes more sense and is pretty obvious (to me at least) which is which. The uses for them varies from shear to shear and person to person. So not all bevels are workhorses and not all convex shears are for finishing. That is about clear as mud, someone else should explain it better than me.

Comment

Very informative

Windy, as always, has THE answer. Also, thanks for recommending BBird's book. Shall buy!

Comment

I have a very good explanation of the convex shears and bevelled shears on my website that includes pictures and how they are sharpened. Its on the mail-in service page because many groomers really dont know the difference when they mail to me. Like one said, they pick it up and if it feels good they buy it and thats OK.

One note though..... MAny inexpensive shears are coming out with convex edges that are not made with good enough metal to support such an edge. Ill explain...

The convex edge looks essentially like a razor. When you use a shear with this type of edge you should see the hair getting cut but not feel it cutting, they are that sharp!!! Hope I made sense there. A shear with this edge has to be made of good stuff to keep that edge at its sharpness, if not the edge will round out in a few weeks (or a few dogs) and it will push the hair or start to fold. Cheap $60 dollar shears fall into this category. One shear that comes to mind is the Paw Brother 5200 & 5900 series shears that used to come in the Petsomething kits. Depending what you do with these shears you can round (dull) the edge out in a few weeks and they push hair. They used these shears to rough in, cut mats out, etc and they dulled in no time. I replaced the convex edge on this shear with a small bevelled edge and they lasted for months then. Not a bad shear for general grooming, but too soft of metal to support the convex edge. So be on the lookout when buying these cheaper shears with a convex edge, just convert them over if they dull out quick for you.

Ive worked beside a few great "scissor's" in my time and learned alot of technique, plus good shears and how to use them. A good pair of cheaper convex shears start around $150 and go up from there. A few brands are Kenchii, Chris Christianson, high dollar Geibs, and several more you may find at shows. When you put one of these shears in your hand you know right off its a good shear. They are best used on clean, blowed out, and combed out dogs, you would never rough in with these shears. People do and are happy. In my opinion, a thinning shear with a convex edge is probably the best thinner you could ever get. It will blend shallow and do a good job where others need more hair to actually cut any hair at all. Ive seen a groomer blend hair by skimming the coat to perfection and I barley seen any hair fly off. Convex thinners are the way to go.

Convex shears have to be sharpened a different way than normal grooming shears with a bevelled edge, convex shears are "honed", and I explain this procedure on my website. Not all sharpeners hone shears because they don't know what they have in their hands sometimes. They dont realize not all shears get a bevelled edge. If you put a bevelled edge on a high dollar convex shear, you've just made that $200 shear cut like a $20 shear, and you know it, you feel it.
                              Example: I was sharpening at the Biloxi MS show last week and most of the entries that attended were at the Houston show the week before. A woman came up to my trailer with 11 pair of Chris Christianson shears and asked me to look at them and tell her what was wrong. The first one I opened and closed went "crunch, crunch, crunch", I looked at her and she said "see what I mean"? The sharpener in Houston put a bevelled edge on these very high dollar convex shears and never cleaned the burr off of them. She was in tears, she had over $2000 worth of shears in a very bad way, and feared unsavable. She said everyone there told her I was the best and if anyone could fix them I could, so I told her to pick out one pair and Ill see what I can do. The Houston sharpener didnt screw me that bad on these shears because he put just a tiny bevelled edge on them, just enough to take the convex away, but left enough metal that I could fix it to its original edge. When I was finished they cut my test hair like it wasnt there ( yes I test all shears on hair not toilet paper, Ive never groomed a roll of toilet paper, and I cant tell if hair will slide using paper). Anyway I was really nervous when I walked up to her table and seen that schnouzer on there, it was a great dog to test this edge out on. She took the shears and took a deep breath as well, you could tell she was nervous as she went to trim some off the belly. ""Oh MY GOD!!! My scissors are back". She was crying again, this time it was a good cry. I fixed the other 10 pair over the next two days. The vendor chair from the Houston show also approached me, seems they don't want to use the local sharpener again.

Kind of a long post but I just wanted to give my thoughts on convex shears, some differences and they all are not the same (get what you pay for), and how the metal they are made with affect how long the edge lasts. And finally, how they are different to maintain and to make sure you give them to someone that knows what they are doing, and they know what they have in their hand.

-------------------------------------------
                              Jeff Andrews
                              Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
                              Mobile, Alabama &
                              New Orleans, Louisiana
                              251-232-5353
                              251-661-7808 fax
                              www.northerntails.com
                              [email protected]
                              "You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or “Northern Tails Sharpening” on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X