Speed Feed: Trimmer or Clipper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Feed: Trimmer or Clipper?

I'm reading good things on the forum about the Speed Feed, but I see people often refer to it as a trimmer, and not a clipper.

I have a beautiful black mini poodle that I have decided to groom myself. Nothing too fancy, just the basic pet cuts. Would the Speed Feed do everything I need?

A speed feed is an awesome tool and I use mine all the time. It does blade sizes #40-#9. This is great for clean faces and feet, sanitary trims and paw pads. If you want to run a comb attachment or really do any full body clipping youll want a real clipper as well. The speed is still awesome though and super quiet (great for frightened pups).

Comment

Since I don't really see the need to get 2 devices, it sounds like the Speed Feed is out.

I recently read something positive about the Wahl Bravura, ergo, I may go with it (I'm heavily influenced by the last thing I read.)

Comment

I absolutely love my Speed Feed!!! I use it to do a full shave on up to 25 pound dogs. I'm careful to use the cleaning instructions from Jeff of http://www.northerntailssharpening.com/ to keep it in tip top shape. If you're just going to be doing 1 dog it'll last you forever!
        Debi
        http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
        My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

Originally posted by johnnykap View Post
          Since I don't really see the need to get 2 devices, it sounds like the Speed Feed is out.

I recently read something positive about the Wahl Bravura, ergo, I may go with it (I'm heavily influenced by the last thing I read.)
          It is the same thing as the speed feed though, you will still need to get a normal clipper to get a longer cut.

Comment

It is possible to clip your entire poodle with the speed feed. It comes with 4 different length attachment combs.

Comment

What do you mean, "to get a longer cut"? Doesn't the speed feed accept those plastic comb attachments?

Comment

It uses its OWN se of snapons and YES it can be used for your poodle as a main clipper if you want it short, like, no longer than about a half inch or so. I use it a lot as my primary clipper. Just always use it on a clean, dry dog and make sure the dog is thouroughly brushed out. The blades can be sharpened at many places and are available for $25-30 new. I use this as my MAIN CLIPPER On some days. I am even planning on shaving down a chow mix today and have about 7 or 8 smaller dogs that will get this clipper used with the attachments that come with it to groom them without the benefit of another clipper.

If you go to my blog you will find MANY dogs there groomed with this clipper. I do follow up with shears, but MAN I love this thing!
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I'm using a Wahl Moser at this time. Was a SF user for many years but now I've switched. Now you buy six comb attachments for the Moser. Might be sold separately. Two are in longer lengths (1" and 1 1/2" I think) I LOVE it! Since I groom mostly small dogs, its my #1 clipper when I don't use the vac. These combs might also fit the Bravura. You could ask.
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Yes, the SP comes with 4 comb attachments, the longest one leaves about an inch of hair, which I use on yorkies alot. I use my SP for everything, even my schnauzer cuts. I absolutely love love love it and glad that I chose it as my first pair of clippers.
                    Debi
                    http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                    My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

I think you could easily get by with just your speed feed and comb attachments as your only clipper. I use mine a lot for full grooms,especially on little dogs. When it is nice out I take my table to my favorite spot in my garden and groom my own dogs I just put the speed feed and attachments,and a coule of scissors in a basket. One of my dogs is an up to size mini in pet trim. and I did all the clipperwork on her with the speed feed.
                      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                      Quote:Cath

Comment

The Speed Feed it is then.

I repeat: the Speed Feed it is

Comment

The Speed Feed will do exactly what you need. My Aunt has a Poodle and couldn't find a groomer that did the job she wanted (she lives 12 hours from me and wasn't practical for me to groom...lol). I taught her how to groom Jolie and bought her a Speed Feed and she does everything with that trimmer.

What to know about a Trimmer, although they are designed to do trim work, they have a shorter life span for groomers who use these every day all day long compared to Clippers. For you, who is using it for your personal dog you will be fine- her SF is about 5 years old.

Comment

I think a speed feed would work fine for a poodle. You can do the face and feet, and use a comb attachment for the body.

I just recently bought a SF and I'm really liking it so far. Yesterday I wanted to put it to the test and I clipped the pattern on a GIANT schnauzer with it on the #9 setting...it looked GREAT. This Giant schnauzer has really thick hair, but the SF just plowed right though as if it was nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X