Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting 1st pair of thinning shears...any advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 1st pair of thinning shears...any advise?

I am getting my first pair of thinning shears and would greatly appreciate any advice? I am not sure how to chose the appropriate shear...what length, tooth count, brand ect... I would like to not exceed $100, unless it is really worth it to spend a bit more. Many thank you's in advance for the help

I have the 40 tooth Geib Entree thinners, they're under $100. They were part of the kit I bought for school, I really like these.. they're easy to get the hang of and not too aggressive. Multipurpose.

Comment

Get Jodi Murphy's DVD on thinning sheers would be my advise. She covers everything you need to know about tooth count, selecting sheers, and using them.

I absolutely love my Blue Breeze thinning sheers, but I think they ran my $350. I've had a few different brands and price did seem to matter.
      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

your first pair...

should be a work horse that you train on. Millers Forge make a 46 tooth for 86-9$ I still have the first pair I got in grooming school- I also have a 400$ pair. A 250$ and several in between. I find I always go back to the MF because I am not afraid of dropping them and they hold an edge a LONG time. You can price yourself up after later if you so desire.

Comment

I still have my 44/20's. They were my first pair, about $100, and I really, really love them! They are about dead though. I'm saving up for Jodi Murphy's set.

Anywho....my 44/20s are a really good, multi-tasker, easy to use first timer shear.

http://www.petedge.com/product/4420-...quot/43985.uts

Here is the stainless steel version:

http://www.petedge.com/product/4420-...quot/47063.uts
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Well, first of all the prices are basically run according to quality and hardness of the metals the shears are made of. I bought my first set from Kenchii. Their site is very informational. I also find a lot of groomers choose Geib. The harder the metals used, the better it keeps a sharp edge. (Less sharpening) Hardness is measured with the Rockwell Hardness Scale. Kenchii has 4 levels of hardness and priced accordingly. I see their cheapest thinning shears, which are the set I have, is $89. Their hardness is Level 1. (54-55 on the Rockwell Scale) I think the level scale is just a Kenchii thing, so just a heads up. http://www.kenchii.com/onlinestore/grooming/index.html There's a link to their site. As far as kinds of thinners, the more teeth, the finer of a cut, taking less hair off. Less teeth will have a more aggressive cut, taking more hair off.

Comment

Originally posted by aubryk View Post
              As far as kinds of thinners, the more teeth, the finer of a cut, taking less hair off. Less teeth will have a more aggressive cut, taking more hair off.
              The notch in the tooth matters as well. The deeper the notch the more aggressive the stroke.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I would spend the extra cash and get a pair of Geib buttercuts (the ones in the 140-160 range). I have a pair of Alphas from Kenchii which work ok, but I am terrified of how sharp they are. Geibs (and only these geibs cheetah's I think?) allow hair to fall out in between strokes so it decreases scissor time dramatically!! I have tried the entre's and was way not impressed!!

Comment

Thanks!

Many thanks to all who responded. I would be lost without this site. It is so kind you all to offer your time and expertise to the newbes of grooming.

Comment

Working...
                  X