New Andis Hinge on the 5 Speed Clipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Andis Hinge on the 5 Speed Clipper

I've got many emails and Facebook posts about why blades arent going on the new Andis clippers, this includes the new Ultra Edge, Power Groom, and the 5 Speed to name a few.

To answer this we have to go back 6 months to a year. Andis and Oster both had an automatic hinge, to describe this hinge you have to know what it did. When you opened the hinge tongue to slide a blade on, the latch automatically raised, so when you turned on the clipper and slapped the blade against the clipper the latch would automatically lock on the front of the blade socket. Wahl and LAube users never had this option. When they opened the hinge to slide on a blade the latch was down and not raised. Before they slapped the blade against the clipper they first had to raise the latch THEN push the blade against the clipper. Once the blade was tight against the clipper they released the latch so it would lock on the socket. Every time they put a blade on or took it off a Wahl or Laube they had to press the latch button first.

Now Andis users will have to do the same thing. The automatic hinge is gone forever and now you will have to make a lifestyle change and put your blades on and off your Andis clippers like the Wahl and Laube users. If you dont press the latch up before you slam the blade against the clipper you will break the little hook off the latch and blades wont lock on. When you hit tough coat the blade will come away from the clipper and stop working. How come some blades go on good and others dont???? Two reasons: First, you may still have the old hinge. Secondly, its because of the different wear patterns of the socket where the latch hooks on to. If its worn a little the blade will go on without pressing the latch first. If not, it will hit on the socket and you'll bend that socket to where that blade wont fit any clipper.

There is help if you want to go get it....

On my website I have several video's that will help you get the blade on the Andis clipper using a 4 part movement. Its not a bunch of work to do this, Im a Laube user and I do it so fast I dont think about it at all. You will be able to do that as well after you watch the video and follow along. There are two videos for different clippers but the technique is the same. Here they are:

1. "How to put a blade on a Wahl KM-2 Clipper".

2. "How to put a blade on a LAube clipper".

Both are fantastic videos and show you how easy it is to get the blade on the clipper using the 4 part locking movement you need to know now. I show you how to hold the blade so even a smal hand can get a large blade locked on without any problems. If you continue to slap the blade on without pushing up on the latch first you will damage the clipper or blade in time. When the latch hook is broken off and the blade isnt locked on it will begin to rattle on the clipper. When this starts you will need to watch another video on my website to fix these blades. Here it is:

3. "How to fix blades that rattle on the clipper"

Again, there is nothing wrong with the new Andis 5 Speed clippers or getting the blades to go on, your going to have to learn a new way of getting blades to go on these clippers. I wrote an article over a year ago about this new hinge when it first came out. Slowly over the last year this new hinge has been getting into the system from replacing hinges and buying new clippers that have the hinge. Older Andis clippers have the automatic hinge still on them, but if that hinge gets replaced you will get the new hinge in its place.

The article I wrote is attached to this post. Its goes into detail about the hinge and shows you why it doesnt latch on the blade using your old way of putting the blade on. It will also give you the new 4 part movement that gets the blade on and locked for you. Of course, the video's will show you how to do this movement. This isn't going to go away, most new clippers sold will have this new type of hinge on it no matter what brand you buy. So dont send the clippers back there is nothing wrong with the hinge, learn how to put the blade on instead.

I want to repeat this again: If your blades are going on your Andis clipper just by putting them on the hinge, starting the clipper, and slamming the blade against the clipper, you have the old hinge yet on your clipper. If you've bought your clipper in the last 6 months or sooner and are having trouble getting blades to lock on, then you may have the new hinge. My article below shows you how to tell the difference so you can look at yours and see what you have.

I hope this clears things up and gives you the help you need to be happy with your new 5 speed. Im happy with mine.

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Andrews
    Northern Tails Sharpening
    Mobile, Alabama &
    New Orleans, LA
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    [email protected]

"You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or "Northern Tails Sharpening" on Facebook
    Attached Files

Well, I'll definitely be giving that a try then since I'm one of those whose 5 speeds don't work with all blades and I use one certain 10 with attachments.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Jeff, Helpful as always. Thanks for the info! Why couldn't Andis put this kind of info on their website? (or at least reply to an email LOL)

Comment

I hve a new video on this new Andis hinge. I show the differences in the hinges and how to get them on your Andis clipper. You dont have to go watch the video's on how to get a blade on the Wahl or Laube.

Ive also put this video on my "eGroomer.com" page so you can go there and watch it while your still on Petgroomer.com, the address is below just click on it. While your there lets become friends.

http://affiliate.kickapps.com/133537...ailssharpening

-------------------------------------------
        Jeff Andrews
        Northern Tails Sharpening
        Mobile, Alabama &
        New Orleans, LA
        251-232-5353
        www.northerntails.com
        [email protected]

"You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or "Northern Tails Sharpening" on Facebook

Comment