New Clippers... Need opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Clippers... Need opinions?

So I am finally getting new clippers after my last two took a poop on me, and just aren't worth fixing. They are both Osters. So I am trying to steer away from that brand for a while.

At work I have been using Andi's clippers and they are so much better. They look like cheap, old models but they are so much more silent and don't get as hot as fast as my Oster ones did.

Right now I am deciding between the Andis Excell 5-Speed Clipper... It seems nice, but I read some reviews that it gets hot too fast.
    http://www.petedge.com/product/Groom.../330/55182.uts

I also looked at the "Andis AGP Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Animal Clipper" which I haven't found too many bad reviews about.
    http://www.petco.com/product/111879/...:referralID=NA

The other one I was firstly interested in was the WAHL Switchblade Clipper, the red, white and black one. Which I also read gets too hot too fast.
    http://www.petedge.com/product/Wahl-...pper/45790.uts

One thing I did wrong last time when purchasing a clipper is not look at other people's reviews.. I ended up with a horrible Oster clipper that can ONLY be fixed by Oster.

What I am looking for in a clipper is perfection all around.. You know, no noise, durability, heat reduction, etc. The price does not matter, if anyone else has some other recommendations. I really don't know too much about clippers and brands, I know there are others out there besides WAHL, Oster, and Andi's.. Are they any good?

If you search by name lots of threads will pop up on them. I have been researching various clippers myself (for grooming school, with a similar starting list) and have decided to get the excel 5 speeds. The only people that seemed to have heating up problems in the reviews on here said they used lots of coolant, everyone else seems to love em.

The Wahl Switchblade is apparently loud and there is a sticky thread in this section that worries me a bit.

I personally don't like the boxy design of the Andis AGP 2-speeds but there are those that love em. There are also the AGC 2-speeds which have a round body and the groomers in the salon I work at use those and like em a lot.

Comment

I had a Switchblade for a VERY short time. I re-sold it after two uses. Way more loud and vibration than mor Andis. I like Andis and never really had a problem with them. Still using the Andis cordless and the lighted Andis, but I have the Ivac hooked up to my Taxi Vac for the majority of my work.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

We use the Andis AGC 2 speed clippers. They work really well. I have the Blue Ultraedge which is about 3/16 larger in diameter than the maroon AGC. This could make a big difference in the size of your hand.
        We went to the Petfair in Atlanta in March and there were some clippers there called FAV. They have a 10 year warranty and u can use any blade on them. They went through a poodle that was matted to the skin and didn't even hesitate. They are expensive, but the warranty would be worth it. I am including a website www.AJSALESSERVICE.COM.

Comment

I have the 5 speed Andis and love them. They do heat up fast but you can use them on a lower speed to keep them from heating up as fast. Since I've gotten mine I've actually been grooming a lot faster. I think they stay at a constant speed even when going through thick patches. I've had several different Andis clippers but these are my favorite. I also love that I have them in pink.JMO
          ~*~Robin~*~
          "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.. I think I have it narrowed down to the FAV or the Andi's 5-Speed.

The FAV5 Clipper looks super awesome, but I think that one might be almost a little TOO expensive, but the 10-year warranty thing is really catching my eye.. I just can't seem to find any other reviews except for on their website:
            http://www.germanredclipper.com/cent...timonials.html

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
              I had a Switchblade for a VERY short time. I re-sold it after two uses. Way more loud and vibration than mor Andis. I like Andis and never really had a problem with them. Still using the Andis cordless and the lighted Andis, but I have the Ivac hooked up to my Taxi Vac for the majority of my work.
              diddo I tried the switchblade just to turn around and sell it. I also like the andis http://www.petedge.com/product/Andis...pper/44531.uts

it gets hot but not when using it with the taxivac. I love it.

Comment

Another vote to avoid the Switchblade. It is LOUD and I bought mine after they swore they fixed the cord issue, only to find out the cord issue was not fixed.

I have the Andis UltraEdge and I love it. I've had it for almost three years and it is still going strong
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
                  I have the 5 speed Andis and love them. They do heat up fast but you can use them on a lower speed to keep them from heating up as fast. Since I've gotten mine I've actually been grooming a lot faster. I think they stay at a constant speed even when going through thick patches. I've had several different Andis clippers but these are my favorite. I also love that I have them in pink.JMO
                  Are these the newest Andis?
                  Debi
                  http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                  My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

In a pinch, I bought a switch blade and HATED it! The cord has a hard rubber thing near the switch and it seemed so darn heavy in my hand, like it was pulling my hand backwards. It made my hand, arm, shoulder, and neck HURT! I took it back and got a refund, the next day.

I just ordered a Laube Litening. I'm currently using the Laube Mini Micro and I really love those clippers. I tried a Litening a while back and love the little lights, especially when doing feet and sanitaries. Never thought it would really make a difference when I saw them in a catalog, but it's amazing! The Laube's are very light and small in your hands, but super powerful (which does come with a price, blade gets hot). This is my brand of choice and my next clipper will be the IVAC.

The German Red's, I've heard, are very heavy so that cuts me out. I've got to have a light weight clipper or my hands kill me!

Comment

Originally posted by dogymom View Post
                      Are these the newest Andis?
                      Yep these are the newest ones that just came out. Fabulous clippers I tell you. All the other reviews I read here on the board of the groomers that got to try them before they went onto the market were all good so I decided while at APF to get one and it's been my favorite clipper so far.
                      ~*~Robin~*~
                      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
                        Yep these are the newest ones that just came out. Fabulous clippers I tell you. All the other reviews I read here on the board of the groomers that got to try them before they went onto the market were all good so I decided while at APF to get one and it's been my favorite clipper so far.
                        Great! I do believe I've made up my mind!
                        Debi

Comment

If I were you I would get the andis excell. One of my coworkers just bought them and has been very happy with them. The only thing I don't think I would like about them are the plug in, it is the big box style which may be an issue depending on how your outlets are set up or how much space you have. It may also be worthwhile to look into the red german clippers, I've always been interested in those but have never tried them out in person.

Comment

Oh...i forgot to add that i had emailed Jody Murphy to see if she still recommended the Power Groom. She told me to wait for the new Excel to come out.
                            Debi

Comment

I LOVE THE ANDIS EXCEL!!! I just bought one and was amazed at how light it was, but the plug has a big box that takes up space. I haven't had any problems with them getting warm, but I do run them at the lowest speed 75% of the time. They also come with ceramic blades!

Comment

Working...
                              X