Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you use to pull hair out of ears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you use to pull hair out of ears?

I usually squirt ear powder onto the ear and pull out the hair with my finger tips because sometimes I would accidently pinch the dog's ear when I used forceps.

I think that a short and fat version of forceps would be nice to have, maybe they could even be covered with a non slip grip to grip the hair with.

What is or would be your favorite hair pullers?

I only use fingers- if my fingers can't get it, it doesn't come out. I can't stand to see people putting hemo's in the ear, grabbing hair and twisting then yanking.

Comment

I use my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
        I only use fingers- if my fingers can't get it, it doesn't come out. I can't stand to see people putting hemo's in the ear, grabbing hair and twisting then yanking.
        Ditto

Comment

I don't pull hjair out of ears

I check ears and many have clean ears anyway. I saw two commercials lately, one of home shopping $19.95 ans another independant commercial for Human depilatory sprays. I might try that in a dogs ear area.....not deep but surface hair. Yup, I have used Nair. Shocked? I get permission first and never once had a problem with clients or my own dogs. It doesn't even work all that well. The facial one does not work at all and the dollar store one not at all. So how strong can they be? I think I am not the only one here who has used Nair. I don't use it often but have used it.

Comment

Fingers, the only time i use anything else is when the dog has icky ears and there is alot of gross hair in there.

Comment

I use a vet most of the time, because I refuse to do it unless it comes out super easy with my fingers or is matted so far down into the ear I cannot trim it out. I trim it and that is it. I DO have a few clients that I use Nair on. Check it out on my blog if you want more info. It DOES work, but you have to use it correctly. On DRY HAIR, appled thickly and allowed to sit long enough. There are a few clients I do this on, and never had an issue.

HOWEVER, my theory is a clean, healthy ear needs no intervention. I trim down into the canal if needed with small blunt tipped shears, or a clipper on a 40 setting.

Saturday a client called me with a yorkiepoo who was shaking his head and I told her to go to the vet. She did. Vet found NO INFECTION or mites, but pulled hair...because you know the ear hair that had been there the dogs entire life was bothering him. Well when she got to me the ears were VERY red and hot to the touch. The vet had caused it by plucking. Of course they were closed by now as it was Saturday so she had to call them in for an emergency visit.

THAT is why I do not pluck ears. The vet DID NOT CHARGE HER which blew my mind. He got a steroid shot and cream for his ears. Turns out he DOES have an infection as well, just a deep down in one. The vet that saw her the first time was a new vet, right out of school who said that they weren't red or smelly so they couldnt be infected. The older vet that saw her after hours was not happy....
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Ick...I have several vets around who say that if it isn't smelly or red it can't be an infection. I hate that. Sigh.

To keep this on topic, I put powder on my fingertips and only remove what comes willingly and what I can see. I DO NOT go into the ear canal. I have seen how overplucking can cause infections, but on the other hand I've seen firsthand how removal of some hair can improve the condition of the ear, so I don't have a set P&P that I do on every dog. Depends on the individual and what works best for who.

P.S. Parti, thank you for writing that blog on hematomas. It saved my butt when a client came in a MONTH later saying I cut her dog's matted ears and it wouldn't heal. The dog hadn't been groomed in 4 months and had a raging infection when it came in. I printed it out, complete with pictures, and she didn't have a leg to stand on. Kisses!
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

you are most welcome! The first time tha thappened to me I had no idea what was going on. It helps to have information, even if you never need it.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

first I shave that little flap in front of the ear opening ( flop eared dogs) add powder grasp a small piece with hemos and twist . I do remove the hair from the canal then use my fingers to get the hair around the outside. if the dogs seams overly sensitive I get what I can out .But it is still a matter of personal opinion of which vet you talk to whether to pluck or not.

Comment

Ear powder and fingers.. that way I can hold onto the hair with fingertips.

Comment

ear hair

powder, and fingers

Comment

Well, I guess I'm the exception, because I use tweezers. My s don't work well enough to grab any hair, and with the tweezers I can get just tiny bits of hair at a time.

Comment

Thanks, this is what I was looking for

Originally posted by flyingfur View Post
                            Well, I guess I'm the exception, because I use tweezers. My s don't work well enough to grab any hair, and with the tweezers I can get just tiny bits of hair at a time.
                            Innovation!! I will try the tweezers. I'm sick of using my fingers, that stuff in there is nasty sometimes.

thanks

Comment

Hemostats or fingers depending on how much hair needs plucked. I only use ear powder if the hair being plucked in greasy or slick with gunk. I don't find that I need to twist or YANK the hair out. I grabbed it and slowly, but steadily pull it out.
                              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Working...
                              X