Lefty Scissors anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty Scissors anyone?

I am surprised at how difficult it is to find good shears for a lefty. And the ones there are are 7 or 8". Does anyone have a suggestion as to what you like or has worked well for you?

Lisa Leady is a lefty. I know she is a distributor for Kenchii shears and am about 99% positive that they sell lefty. Great shear. 44/20 also makes lefties as does Geib and Sharkfin that I know off the top of my head. Oh, and Chris Christensen. Dirtyhairy here in the board is also a lefty and I only know this much about lefty shears because I've watched her buy and/or look at them at shows. I know she also had trouble finding a nice selection of left handed shears.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I have the same problem

I'm left handed as well. The looks I get sometimes when people see me using my 8" shears on a tiny yorkie!!! I learned how to scissor with them so it's not really a big thing for me, but I need a back up pair. and really wouldn't mind a shorter set. Let me know what you find.

Comment

Check out "flipper" style shears. I am a "righty" but know "lefties" who prefer flippers over true lefty shears.

Comment

i have a pair of 6 1/2 curved comfort sharps that are not half bad, i bought them out of ryans on a whim. They were around 70 bucks and have worked pretty good for me so far as a back up.

Comment

lefty shears

I bought a set of Oster's in Pasadena, and I really like them. Good all purpose shears, but they only come in one size (8 or 8 1/2", can't remember which.) For finer work I like my Chris Christensen's (also one-size only, 8" I believe.). I LOVE my Kenchi t-series 44 tooth thinners, though that hasn't stopped me from trying new models whenever I find them!
            I understand the problem with the sizes, usually you have one or two choices. I have 7" Kenchi 5-Stars and one 10" Infinity (straight). I think my Infinity is my nicest shear, worth the extra $$. I also have one pair of 5" straights I bought from my sharpener, but I don''t know what kind they are. I think they are hair stylist shears. my 7" Kenchiis do the trick for the small dogs pretty well.
            Geib also makes leftys, but they have not held up and the company has been less than customer friendly, so I will not be patronizing them again.

One word about "flipper" shears - if you are a true lefty (that is you scissor left handed and use lefty scissors), right handed shears will not work for you no matter where the finger/ holes are. It has to do with how you hold your and where you put pressure. Using righty shears can actually do damage to your joint if you are not used to it.

Comment

kenchii carries a full line of left handed shears these are not the cheapest scissors but they are reasonably priced
              kenchii.com/onlinestore/grooming/lhandCurved.html

Comment

Originally posted by dirty hairy View Post

One word about "flipper" shears - if you are a true lefty (that is you scissor left handed and use lefty scissors), right handed shears will not work for you no matter where the finger/ holes are. It has to do with how you hold your and where you put pressure. Using righty shears can actually do damage to your joint if you are not used to it.

Exactly, right handed people just don't understand that until you hand them a pair of true lefties and ask them to try and scissor a dog. I refuse to get carpal tunnel and other joint issues just because I am a little different. If a company doesn't make an effort to provide me w/ the correct tools, I don't buy from them. I was checking out shears @ a booth once and after finding that the company didn't make lefties, I started to walk away. He started ragging on a company one booth over and kept trying to sell me a righty shear, because their metal was better. Funny, other than at that booth, I have never heard their name before that or since. I have however heard great things about the booth that offered lefty shears. Makes me wonder how many people bought that guys sour grape bull hockey. Anyway, most companies do offer some lefties, but they are usually more expensive and you don't have as many style options. I haven't invested in any really pricey shears as the salon I work in is impossible and they would just get dropped anyway. I usually pay between $90-$125 for a decent lefty shear. I really do like Heritage Stillettos. The company will sharpen them for free for the life of the shear, you only pay shipping. And boy can I tell you, nobody has sharpened those shears better, I have even sent them a pair of shears from another brand and they fixed them for me.
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                X