Coat Kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coat Kings

Ok, so, I'm a little confused on what this tool actually does. I was working on a American Eskimo today and I brushed him, combed him, then ferminated him. Some spots were still a little thick so I used the coat king around his rear, neck, and chest. I was getting ALOT of hair out in these areas and even in the areas where I used the ferminator.

My question is...

Does the coat king just thin out the hair or does it actual cut it also?

I believe I have the 6 or 8 blade.

They do some cutting too which is why you shouldn't use them on a dog you're trying to keep coat on. Mine is second hand and a bit dull but it doesn't take out as much it seems. I love this tool for pets though, makes coats lay flat & nice. Love using them on Goldens.

FURminate... are you turning puppies into booze? =)

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth View Post

FURminate... are you turning puppies into booze? =)

LOL! I agree, they cut hair, great for pet cuts, bad for any dog where the owner wants the actual style. I too love to use them on goldens and others, but keep in mind that because they actually cut hair the hair grows back in different and if not maintained - use it every 4,6,8 weeks on the golden tushy it can get funny thickness because of how the undercoat grows out.

Comment

I use a coat king every day on every dog that I groom. I use it on ears and tails to quickly and easily remove matts and tangles and always on longer coats before clipping them with a longer comb. My regular client dogs very rarely get knotty because of this. I also use it to remove undercoat. I dont notice it cutting the topcoat at all, but I line brush with it working from underneath. I only time I use a furminator is for very short coat dogs and cats. In my opinion the coat king cuts a lot of time and effort from a groomers day, I would never want to work without one now. I use an 18 double wide Mars brand.

Comment

Love my coat king on shelties and poms! I would not groom without it because it gets the undercoat out like no other tool!

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
            I use a coat king every day on every dog that I groom. I use it on ears and tails to quickly and easily remove matts and tangles and always on longer coats before clipping them with a longer comb. My regular client dogs very rarely get knotty because of this. I also use it to remove undercoat. I dont notice it cutting the topcoat at all, but I line brush with it working from underneath. I only time I use a furminator is for very short coat dogs and cats. In my opinion the coat king cuts a lot of time and effort from a groomers day, I would never want to work without one now. I use an 18 double wide Mars brand.
            I agree! I love my Coat King! I did let it get dull, but even when it was new, I checked for cut hair and as long as i was working with the growth of the coat and using a light touch I didn't get that much cut hair — most of what I took out had the roots attached. It is a great tool for stripping out undercoat and much less labor intensive than layer stripping, so it is something that pet groomers will do. I think a little cut hair vs. not removing any undercoat is a good trade off on most pets. But it is a tool with it's best uses and it's not for every situation.

Same for the furminator — it is not the cure-all for every dog that the manufacturers want you to believe it is. It is another tool for removing dead coat to add to our arsenal of stripping tools. Personally, I wish someone would make a "furminator" with a #10 blade and even an #8 1/2 blade or a #7f blade to use on longer coats. I don't do all my carding with a #40, and I would like my tools to reflect that —*just like you have fine, medium and coarse stripping knives, I'd like to see fine, medium and coarse rakes.

Comment

Think AIREDALE!!!

If you have an airedale that comes in 12 weeks or so...this tool will pull out more dead coat (and you can tell it's the dull, dead, icky stuff), and your dog will dry better. It will also help a little with keeping a CLIPPED airedale's coat texture good.

Gotta go.

Tammy in South Korea
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
              X