Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper advice

Long time no post!

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a new clipper. Does anyone have any experience with the oster power pro ultra? I like the fact that it's cordless, I don't know anything about them though.

I have clipper issues. In the 5 years I've been grooming I have used and disliked so many clippers...Andis progroom-hated them, laube litenings-really hated them, km2's-loved them but they were too loud, and yes I squeezed my blades ears until I was blue in the face! I had andis I forget the name, the blue round ones, they were OK but I just didn't care for them. Switchblades are awesome but again, way too loud, and now they are crapping out on me again.

While I have your guys' attention-How do you clean blades without them getting greasy and disgusting? I clean them in blade wash and then wipe them, then HV them dry and they are still greasy before I even get them oiled...Then I have to take my nice clean blades and run them over a dirty dog to get the grease off of them without ruining a nice clean coat! I hate it so I usually just oil my blades and avoid cleaning them until they're really gross,

Thanks for paying attention to my ranting, and thanks in advance for any advice.

I just got a pair of Micro Mini Laubes and shaved a Great Pyreness and one Standard Poodle and they died, I really like them b/c they are light, the co was good to me but I sure hope they don't blow up again, b/c turn around was almost two weeks, what problems did you have with the Laubes?

Comment

They were loud to start with and if I recall the blades got hot all the time, but shortly after getting them something broke or something and they were unbearably loud and vibrating. I guess I should've gotten them fixed and tried them again but I don't see the point in getting something fixed if it will break again in a month or two.

Comment

loud and hot!!!

i tried someones and it was very very loud after fully charged and then they got really really hot!!! The vibrating hurt my wrist also...

Comment

boscoandkoda, are you talking about the osters? That's a bummer, I don't know what clippers to get. The andis seem cheaply made to me, wahls are always noisy for some reason, and laubes, well I will never fork over so much money to them again.

Comment

I have the wahl switchblade and Im loving them now. Its hard to get used to new clippers but I did and now I love them

Comment

Everyone I know who has purchased the new Oster clipper has been unhappy with it.

Comment

Great Clipper

Try the Wahl Bravura. It is a 5-in-1 blade...sizes of 9,10,15,30 & 40. Many, many great things about this clipper. First of all...its "silent". Yes...really silent and yet has a self-adjusting torque to your needs. The blade types are fine and coarse. This is a cord/cordless clipper that can do it all. I shaved down a 140lb Newfy from its winter coat and it never died nor did it get hot. If you buy the Professional Blade..its black coated...then you will find a huge difference. These are German made blades...aerodynamic in style and literally stay cool. The professional blades are also self-lubricating. You can get one for $150.00 on most sites...PetEdge for one. The professional blades run about $35.00 but again...you are getting 5-n-1. The "norm" blades (fine or coarse) are about $22.00 each. But they don't stay quite as cool. They have slip on combs and are just awesome...try using a #1 or #2 comb (reverse) on a belly and it looks awesome! I also own 2-Laube Mico-mini clippers...love them but are noisy. And of course the "blue" Andis...which I use with my clipper vac. Try a Bravura...you'll LOVE IT!

Poochlady

Comment

I guess it's a good thing I didn't take a chance on the osters.

Poochlady, I recently got an arco, which I wouldn't have done if I knew my regular clipper was going to start going down the tubes. But I need an a-5 clipper to do the whole dog with.

Comment

The Vibration, Loudness, and blade heatup on the Laubes or Wahls is not the clipper.........its the blade.

This happends to everyone that buys a new Laube or a Wahl clipper that are current Andis users. The Andis hinge is not the same as these other hinges, it isnt champered, its squared off. You can see if you look at both the hinge on the Andis and the hinge on the LAube/Wahl. The Andis hinge is square where the socket ears fit and the LAube/Wahl is kinda angled on the sides in the same place. This champering prevents the socket ears of the blade to be aggressively spread apart like it could be on the Andis clipper. So, when you put a blade (or have been using blades) on an Andis clipper, then go to one of the other clippers, the blade will vibrate, be super loud, and it will heat up dramatically. Spraying coolant on the blade will not help the problem, it will intesify it, so dont do that. Using blade oil will help alot more. I will also mention that the blade could rattle from a old socket where the ears are weak and bend real easy. These blades may just need a new socket.

Old school groomers will grab the blade and see if its moving at all on the hinge of the Laube/Wahl and fix it. I work every Saturday in a grooming shop here in Mobile. I use a Wahl KM-2 and everyone else uses an Andis. I adjust the sockets of my blades to fit my Wahl, if anyone else uses my blades they will rattle on my Wahl until I take pliers and squeeze the socket ears back a little, it takes 5 seconds and its not too much work for me to do that. Its just the way it is, so I dont let anyone use my blades. Im not going to give up the power of my Wahl or Laube clippers because the blades may rattle on them, I've learned to fix that problem and keep separate blades. You can learn how to fix the problem as well, its very simple and you have the resources to do it.

Ive inserted an article from my website that will help you. It shows you how to fix a blade that rattles on a clipper. Knowing this information will help you give a better opinion of a great clipper when the problems your experiencing with it are caused by the blade and not the clipper itsself. I also have a video on my website that will show you how to fix blades that rattle also. Its sad that no one has ever told you about this before, but its probably because they just don't know about it. Now you know!! Ive given this information to many groomers that experienced blade rattle with new Laube/Wahl clippers and were going to send them back. They've learned to fix the rattle and have kept seperate blades, and now you couldn't get these clippers away from them. They also have prevented blade rattle by not letting other groomers in the shop use their blades.

-------------------------------------------
                    Jeff Andrews
                    Northern Tails Sharpening
                    Mobile, Alabama &
                    New Orleans, Louisiana
                    251-232-5353
                    www.northerntails.com
                    [email protected]
                    "You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or “Northern Tails Sharpening” on Facebook.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I used to have an Oster PowerPro about 4 years ago for clipping dairy cattle. The batteries didn't last very long and I thought it was a pain to run and switch batteries all the time. I'd only use them for 3 months out of the year and had to throw away the batteries every year. I'd drop them and they broke easily. They had power at first but I think something wore out internally after 2 years and then I just threw them out and settled for the $400 Andis Heavy Duty clippers! Corded of course. The PowerPro tended to get warm easily, no matter how much Kool Lube or WD-40 I used. But then again, now I know that blade coolant/lubricants wear out blades faster. And I was using them pretty much all day long. The model I had is the one that came out before the one you're asking about so they may have improved things, but this is just my experience with the ones I had.

Comment

Jeff, I'd like to know your opinion on the Geib Excello vs. Wahl Bravura. I'm an Andis user but I just bought a Geib Excello and like it BETTER than the Speed Feed I had. It's not quite as powerful but man! is it quiet!! SO great for feet face and tail, especially on the little guys. But I was wondering how it compared with the Bravura?

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
                        -------------------------------------------
                        Jeff Andrews
                        Northern Tails Sharpening
                        Mobile, Alabama &
                        New Orleans, Louisiana
                        251-232-5353
                        www.northerntails.com
                        [email protected]
                        "You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or “Northern Tails Sharpening” on Facebook.
                        A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

laube

can some one help me with this i just got the cowgirl laube clippers and 20min. useing them the handle is hot to the touch

Comment

I use

The Wahl Km2 clippers and the Arco SE, I love them. I was an Andis user before, but I had their AGR plus I think, and the blue Power groom. The black clipper seemed to not go through the heavier coated dogs well, and the Power Groom heated the blades up so much it was a PITA. Then the hinge broke on the power groom and the drives on both had to be changed so often it was a royal pain! ( i DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CLIPPERS WHEN I BOUGHT THEM, BUT THIS IS WHAT MY COURSE RECOMMENDED TO ME)
                            So I decided to try another brand.
                            I bought the Wahl professional kit, it came with the KM2 clipper , Arco Se Trimmer and a blade for it a few blades for the KM2, a few combs for the Arco SE blade Oil and the Wahl spray for cooling and cleaning blades and a really nice black Wahl bag, in case I wanted to take my stuff with me at some point, or use it for something else ( like a back rest for my motorcycle..most people have Harley bags, I have a Wahl bag lol.... When the kit arrived there were no instructions with the Arco SE and it was my first time using them, so I didn't know how long to charge the batteries before I could use it. I called the number on the package and had the information on the trimmer within 5 minutes, got to talk to a technical person who told me about the rattling blade issue making the clippers seem loud, and he told me what to do. 2 days later a full instruction package arrived int he mail with a letter saying they hoped they answered everything I need to know, and how sorry they were that the instruction were missing.
                            Very nice company to work with, and I also think if Wahl is good enough for Lisa Leady among others, then it is good enough for me
                            Besides, all their spokes people are nice, and helpful as are other users of this brand it seems.
                            I love them, can't imagine going back to another brand, and after awhile even though they are still a bit louder than the Andis, I got used to the sound of them and so did my dogs. I must say though, I sat for a few hours working on the blades, trying them, and work on them again to get it as quiet as I could, and the noise level was way down compared to what it was when I started to use them.
                            Whatever you choose, good luck and I hope they don't break down, or hurt your hand.

Comment

Hey Maggy,
                              If you have a velocity dryer in your shop I would suggest washing your blades and oiling them and then blowing all the excess wash and oil of with the dryer. It works great for me and it gets all the hair out of the nooks and crannies. I usually do that at the end of the day and by the morning they are good to go and not greasy.

Comment

Working...
                              X