The best rake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best rake?

Can someone recommend a really good rake? I know we talk about shears, blades, combs, brushes, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention rakes. I'd like a really nice one. The one I have now is a cheapy and really needs replacing. Thanks!
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

There are two kinds of rakes

one has blades to cut through mats. They still sort of scare me. Then there is the rake that rakes out undercoat. I have a double rake from Ryans, paw brothers, and it works wonderfully. I can take a thoroughly groomed completed Bearded Collie and run this rake over and get a whole lot of undercoat out that would have been left to tangle up. Actually the owner taught me about that, I wouldn't have known how valuable the rake is otherwise.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I started using the Mars Coat King and it works WONDERFULLY!! I was using the Oster rakes and they do not compare to the Mars brand. Plus the Mars brand sells the replacement heads and they have a rosewood handle that is so comfortable. Mars is expensive but they are well worth the money. I am going to buy several different sizes for my van.

Marilyn

Comment

This is a great thread Mylady, as I have wondered why the undercoat rakes are so ******,it will be interesting to see if there is a good one out there. The only ones I have had have short pins,and are not nicely made,so I just end up using my good long pin combs like the Resco with long non scratchy pins widely spaced. Something like that with a comfy handle would be nice! A top judge and Sammy breeder told me she just uses the good quality long pin combs,and never a rake.
        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
        Quote:Cath

Comment

I'm referring to an undercoat rake. I have always called the other kind "strippers" so never thought of the fact it might be a confusing question. I have both the Mars and the Oster coat kings (as I call them) and like both equally as much. But I need a really good undercoat rake. Thanks!
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I'm assuming you mean the one without the sharp blades. I've only used two ever, JW Grip Soft & Comfy Care. The comfy care one is better by far.. the JW pins aren't as rounded and finished, seems like it would be hard on the skin.

Comment

Aaronco

I like the Aaronco rake with the teeth in a V shape. It's like the Twinco rake that is no longer made that was so wonderful.

Comment

I love the Millers Forge undercoat rake. Really does get out that dead hair. Try it-you'll like it.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

The best thing I've ever used for undercoat is a spiral shedding blade from PetEdge. That thing gets more hair out than anything else I've ever used. I've never had much luck with undercoat rakes. I don't' know what it is about them, but they just don't seem to really get much undercoat.
                  This shedding blade I can use on slick coats like labs, and they also are wonderful on double coated dogs like huskies and malamutes, and they work wonders on corgies.

I just looked at their website and it's not on there, I guess they stopped making it. That really sucks, I hope I never lose mine!

Here is a link for a similar one to mine...they are the BEST!

statelinetack.com/item/metal-curry-comb/SLT050688/#Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
                    I just looked at their website and it's not on there, I guess they stopped making it. That really sucks, I hope I never lose mine!

Here is a link for a similar one to mine...they are the BEST!

statelinetack.com/item/metal-curry-comb/SLT050688/#Reviews

I have these in stock in my equine section! People love them for their horses but I never thought of trying one on a heavy shedder. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Double-sided rake

I ordered a large and medium double sided rake from Laube. As most of you; I have tried many but I thought a true test would be on and American Eskimo that I had scheduled in. WOW...I was blown away. It took 1/2 the time and less arm power. Really; I was shocked.

Poochlady

Comment

I stopped using a rake several years ago, I found the course comb (poodle comb) to be more effective and less painful for the dogs. They truly are more tolerant of it than they are the rake ,I have 2 types, the wooden handle version and the Rosco course coat comb.

Comment

mars rake

Originally posted by purplememere View Post
                          I started using the Mars Coat King and it works WONDERFULLY!! I was using the Oster rakes and they do not compare to the Mars brand. Plus the Mars brand sells the replacement heads and they have a rosewood handle that is so comfortable. Mars is expensive but they are well worth the money. I am going to buy several different sizes for my van.

Marilyn
                          i have tried like every rake and brand by pet edge, groomers choice, pet agree and others.... You get what you pay for and the brands also mean quality...

Comment

I have a rake made by Safari with a wooden handle and surprisingly it's lasted me forever! I got it for myself after I left Petco and the only one that's ever broken there was the one I was using on a Newfy that was matted, never brushed, damp and the last dog of the day I had no help with. So yeah.

Comment

Working...
                            X