shear advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shear advice

Hello all. Since I am going to Intergroom I was thinking of picking up some shears for my employee. I know she could really use some better ones. I know shears are a personal thing, but I know she really needs them and I know she won't buy them for herself right now. And I figure, getting her some nice shears will help her give a better finish, which will only help my business and can also help save her some time. I don't want to spend a ton, so was looking for suggestions. I was thinking Heritage or maybe some kenchiis. I know she's not a fan of the Aussie dogs, at least I don't believe she is. I've been trying to find out without letting on why, what type os shears she may know she likes. I guess I'm not great at that cuz I haven't really figured anything out yet LOL. The shears she currently has I believe are precision sharp and are pretty light weight.
    and Pinkgroomer, if you happen to know anything about her preferences, please let me know!
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I always thought Geib had some pretty nice, reasonably priced shears.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I'm a Geib girl myself and always advise my apprentices to get the gator or entree shears, the prices aren't bad. Have to agree with her on the Aussie shears, but I have a pair as a back up. Heritage is also good and I have several pairs that I have had for years. Maybe I'll run into you at Intergroom!

Comment

I love love love Kenchii shears, I have 6 pairs so far and may be picking up a few more pairs at Intergroom. Kenchii has 2 sets as well, their Scorpions for $240, and Five Stars for $370 (each comes with straights, curves and thinning shears). I LOVE my Five Stars, the Scorpions are good but I only use them for taking off bulk not finishing. When I was at APF last year Kenchii had an awesome show deal on buying multiple pairs, hopefully they'll have a similar deal at Intergroom!

I've heard good things about Geib shears as well, and they usually have great sets and deals at shows.

Last year I bought two pairs of Chris Christiensen shears and I am very impressed with them. They were a bit more than I had been spending on shears but they were definitely worth it. I LOVE the 7" Texturizer shears as an aggressive thinning shear. I also have the Saturn Light Weight shears, but the heavy handle throws the balance off for me a bit. I'd love to splurge on the Razor shears at some point.

Comment

Hahaah i was about to repply even before I saw the end. She has heritage shears and she loves them, so I would go with heritage or something similar, she used my entrees once while hers were being sharpened and I think I remember she liked them. She is a doll isn't she?

Comment

Geib or Kenchii 5 stars would be my choice to buy for someone else. Both are nice shears at a reasonable price. What a great boss you are!
            Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I honestly really like the Paw Brother shears. They make a pretty good shear for the money. They are very durable and they hold their edge pretty well. I use their base shear as my everyday pet shears. They get dropped, kicked, knocked around and still go strong and they put a pretty decent finish on a dog. They also make a shear called comfort sharp that are pretty nice too. I think Windyway Cavaliers uses them and likes them. I've always been pretty impressed with Ryan's Pawbrothers brand stuff.

Comment

If she has a smaller hand the Entree's by Geib are really nice. If you want Kenchii, try thr 5 Star. I've used both and liked them!

Aren't you just a sweetie to think of this! she is a lucky girl!!

sittingpretty

Comment

Geib, geib, and geib...did I mention geib..LOL!! gators, super gators, gator convex are all reasonable priced..

Comment

Is she using them as a finishing shear or a "rough in" type?

I use my one pair of geib entrees for feet and dirty hair. I get 'em sharpened about 4x a year, not bad.

If you are looking for a more of a finishing type edge, go with the 5 stars! I can't get enough of mine! For the money they are soooooo worth it. I've had mine for just over two years and I only had to sharpen them once after I panicked and dropped them.
                    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Don't forget to get shears that have the same type of shank as the ones she likes now.
                      I use short shank (offset?), and I am really liking my new Oster shears.

Comment

Working...
                      X