Snap on comb usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap on comb usage

When you are using snap on combs on legs to do a more stylized type scissor finish trim how many people go one length shorter on the back and inside of the front leg and inside of the back legs to make a column?

Do you find that works on all coat types? Like some were saying leave the backs on malteses with whispy hair but in watching Jodi Murphy DVDS seems like she always goes shorter on the back and inside of the legs of most breeds.

I normally use the same comb on the sides and back of the legs as I used on the body unless I'm looking for fuller then I go one size up then scissor the entire leg to create the column . I also never back brush for snap on comb work ,once I have finished with the snap on comb then I fluff up with my comb scissor then repeat as necessary until I have the desired look.

Comment

I RARELY, and I mean, I think I can think of one, maybe 2 dogs in the pat couple years, that I have used the same length snap on comb all over. I would say 99.9% of the time the legs are left about 2 sizes fuller doing that kind of clip (what most of my clients would call a puppy cut or teddy bear clip). I usually take the snap on I used on the body on the back of the hindquarters, but no, I don't use a shorter comb on the inside of the front legs. I will just scissor that tighter is need be. Actually, I rarely even use a comb on the legs, I just hand scissor them. But they are definitely always fuller. They just don't look balanced to me otherwise.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

depends but

if I do use the same it's the longer all over then snip snip snip
        Scissor finish anyway

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
          if I do use the same it's the longer all over then snip snip snip
          Scissor finish anyway
          Oh yeah I always scissor finish I thought I just saw that tip in a video or an article somewhere.

Comment

You bet!

I usually use several snap combs to complete the look. I guess you could say that one of my mentors, (Heather Conlon in Scottsdale) used to say "take off what ever you can and still keep the look", she does does a ton of Bichons every day! I find that this works really well, on many of the dogs I do. I usually use a blade or two shorter for the inside of the legs/groin area, and tousch. I like nice tight round tousch-ies.

I also usually do a shorter length on the tummy/lower chest area, and maybe the pitts. If I can take it off and still keep the "look" I do it. Makes for an easier groom the next time around.

Comment

I always see how it looks when I go backwards with that snap on (on the back of the back legs). If I don't get the look I want then I might go down a size or scissor it in with my blenders.
              Like most said, I rarely ever use just one size S.O. comb on one dog no matter the coat texture.
              I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Yes, I do this on just about every single pet groom I do, whether it be with a comb or a blade. I also will often do the belly from the armpits down. You cant tell its a different length once the clip is finished and it saves a lot of scissoring time plus it helps with these areas not getting so knotty as the coat grows out. I didnt know that Jodie Murphy also does it, I just noticed that I generally scissored these areas shorter when finishing so I decided to just clip them shorter to start with. I have also noticed that doing this regularly has made doing column legs very easy for me and I used to really struggle with them. It gets you used to not having the leg in the centre of the hair but having more hair in the front of the legs. I also trim the front of all feet to the edge of the nails like Windy posted about recently.

This is a schnauzer back leg that has had a 4f on the inside and entire back of the leg and then scissored.
                Attached Files

Comment

one reason you saw that she does this is that these are areas you can get away with taking shorter yet still keep a bit of style. less matting next time, and it is faster to set the length that way.

i do this fairly often, i love to leave style, but the shorter the better on most pets.

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
                    Yes, I do this on just about every single pet groom I do, whether it be with a comb or a blade. I also will often do the belly from the armpits down. ..

This is a schnauzer back leg that has had a 4f on the inside and entire back of the leg and then scissored.
                    Very nice looking leg.

I always use different snap ons on the legs than I use on the body and sometimes a different one on head and cheeks depending on coat type and the look I am going for but have still been leary about using a shorter one on the inside of legs but am going to start experimenting with different sizes especially on touches, tummies and inside of legs as I am noticing even at six weeks on some dogs these areas are matting.

Comment

Working...
                    X