Getting my Wahl snap ons'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my Wahl snap ons'

Alright I've tried all kinds of snap-on combs and after reading on here decide to try the Wahl metal combs. I also bought a #30 blade to go under it. Any other tips that I might need to know.
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

Just ordered mine today too! I have used them in the past and I like them but really only use a 30 under them I have seen them snap the teeth right out of your 40

Comment

so far I have only used them with a 30 blade. I love my Wahl combs!
      but word of caution. be easy with them. they seem to break and bend easy. i popped the spring out of one the first time i used it!

Comment

Been using mine for over a year no breaks no bends I LOVE THEM

Comment

You can also use a #9 under the combs, works very well! I have not had any problems with mine, they do get old after months of hard use so I have had to replace 1 or 2 of them.

When they get dirty I wash them with Dawn and an old toothbrush or a pipe cleaner works well, too. If you keep the blaeds clean they will run much smoother.

sittingpretty

Comment

How does everyone clean their Wahl combs?

Comment

My combs seem to be getting bent teeth faster than I would have thought. I have old plastic combs that are ten years old and fine but my SS are wearing out after only two years. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Oh and the #40 blade is such a no no! LOL Twice now I had a #40 on my clippers with a plastic comb and (in a hurry) grab a SS comb! The #40 blade teeth go zinging everywhere!

Comment

I lone these cobs but you do have to be careful with them- the springs will pop,and they do bend,and yeah-broke a few 40 blades before I realized 30 worked better..cleaning-soapy water and a toothbrush,just watch thoes spring- however they cut so well that even will the faults I still think they are awesome!!

Comment

Love them

I love love love them they work so well. I'm so glad i bought them thanks for the advice on their care and up keep. I got to use them on a little Maltese that came in for a dreaded puppy cut and she went home looking great.
                  "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                  and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                  www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I loooooove my SS combs! I do have to replace them more often than I would the plastic ones, but for the cut and the finish and all that I don't mind My favorite is the "C" or the dark green. I love that one. And the yellow "0".

Anyways, my last tip is depending on the plastic combs you're using, the lengths may be slightly off---I went from using the Kim Laube Big "K" snap ons, and I believe the "E" plastic leaves 2"...well the "E" SS leaves 1". So just double check the lengths, don't do what I did and assume comb lengths are the same across brands

Comment

I like what they do, but they don't stand up to my wear and tear. They bend way to easily, and the springs pop out too. I have been using them with 10 blades, but they have chipped 4 or 5 of them so far. Am I just horribly hard on them??

Comment

I adore my Wahl SS combs. They do bend a bit sometimes, but I think that's because they get pinched between my drawer and the cabinet if I'm in a hurry. I need to work on that... Anyway, I have eight #10 blades and I keep one under each blade so I can just snap them on and go. Then I don't have to worry about making sure I grab the right blade and don't get a #40 by accident. The blades don't stand in the box anymore with the #10s on them. I'm still trying to work something out for that. I think my measurements on the SS combs must be a bit different from everyone elses's. Maybe someone could help me with that?

From what I can remember off the top of my head, the dark blue one is 1/2 inch, the orange is 3/4 inch, the yellow is 1 inch, dark purple is 1/4 inch, the dark green is 1 3/4 inch. I have no clue for the red one and I can't remember the colors on the other big ones. I -think- the light purple is 1 1/2 inches. Remember I use them over a #10. Can anyone confirm some of my lengths? I got the list off of some other groomers at work.

Comment

It says the length on the comb itself, at least mine do. For mine, lt blue is 1", green 7/8", lt purple 3/4", yellow 5/8", orange 1/2", dk blue 3/8", dk purple 1/4" and red 1/8". I use a Ivac so it is even shorter, I also bend/bust mine, have replaced the larger ones couple of times in the last two years, but I use them on like 3/4 of the dogs I do and am not at all careful, so I don't mind. I also find since they stay on so well I will use them to comb out/cut packed coat or slight matting while I cut that I would never be able to do w/ the plastic ones so that adds to the wear and tear. Do indeed love my SS combs tho' wish they would come out with a 2 inch or 2.5 inch built just like the other ones tho' the monster combs are a waste of time and money, but a regular SS but longer would be awesome!

Comment

See, I have it written down that the longest SS comb leaves 2 inches. The measurements they have written on the combs just seem wrong to me. They have it measured for using a #30 under the comb, but I prefer a #10. One of my co-workers gripes that a #10 doesn't cut well under them, but I'm pretty sure her blade drive is just shot since all of my #10s work perfectly under my SS combs.

Comment

Working...
                            X