Trouble with SS combs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with SS combs

Now I've loved my SS combs from Wahl, but I keep having problems with the clips getting loose over a period of time. When this happens it makes the combs rattle and create a racket. I know Wahl will let you send them back in but it still stinks to have to mail them and be without combs. So I've tried Osters and I hate their numbering system and Andis pops off as does the Oster combs as well. I had an old purple set of Laube ones that they allowed me to send in and exchange for their new style. So far they've been a vast improvement from the orignal models. They added more clips so they won't pop off and I enjoy the variety of sizes. Yes, Wahl makes the most popular sizes but I like having more options, especially with picky clients. So we'll cross our fingers that they won't losen over time like I keep dealing with the SS.

I love the Wahl SS but, wish there were more sizes.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

The Wahls are so inexpensive, why not just toss it and buy a new one?

I have 3 with the green top. I use them daily and switch on and off between bathing, trimming, and touch up sticky outies. Naturally, the clips get a lot of use. Unfortunately, I mixed up new from old and now I don't know which is the new Green one I got a week ago. Guess if it pops off it is an old one. LOL

Comment

I keep new ones on hand to replace them if they wear out, etc. They save me so much time and money in blade sharpening that they more than pay for themselves!

Comment

Hmmm..dont know...I've never had this problem with any of mine. I must be gentle hehehe. I did have a friend come over and break one of my dark blue ones, luckily I have 2 sets and blue isnt my most used. Even if mine were doing this and they were expensive to replace I wouldnt even consider gong back to the plastic combs.

Comment

If it's the wahl

I'm assuming you've tried bending the "hooks" in the back. Mine have become straighter as time goes by. Otherwise I've had no problem at all with mine, no rattling or such.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

It may be due to using a higher powered clipper ( use a lightening). I use a vac system as well, so I don't know if that would matter.

Comment

OK, it must be you, or something you are doing, because I have the first set I ever bought (minus one comb) at the first show they were ever offered at. I use them every day. NEVER had a problem. I use them on a ten blade usually.

I use a Lightening or an IVAC and yet I dont see that making a difference in a comb cause they are an ADD ON to the blade. Should make no difference at all which clipper you use them on. Blades, YES, clipper NO.

It sounds to me like you are stretching the SS comb springs out placing them on blades. That would not be the company's fault nor a sign of a defective product.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I also use mine over a ten blade and I use Laube clippers and with and without the clipper vac so it cant be the high speed clippers or the vac. I do only take them on and off with the blade on the clipper, not switched on of course. The few times I have taken the blade off with the comb still on it I have found it hard to take the comb off and have always put the blade back on the clipper to remove the comb. I also dont have one blade dedicated to each comb, I use the same blade and just switch them on and off as I do the groom.

Comment

Me too!

I've had the same problem with mine. I didn't know they let you send them in though...I need to get new ones anyways, another groomer where I was working 'borrowed' a few of them while I was on vacation and used them over a #40, which caused the plastic on the sides to break off, which, since that's what keeps them centered over the blade, is sort of a problem. but I did notice the springs wearing out over time. I've been using mine over a #15 though, until recently, my #15's in for sharpening so I've been using a #30 with them. The whole set's like $40, so yeah they're pretty cheap. I like them beeter than the plastic ones because the comb's are so much thinner that they leave you with very little scissoring to do afterwards.

Comment

Using a 40 under the SS combs does not usually harm the combs. It breaks the BLADE. IF the "ears" are gone on the combs, its usually becuase they got dropped causing them to break.
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Slightly OT

Parti (or others), what would you say the advantage to using a 10 under the combs is? I've always used a 30 because for some $%#@ reason..my 10's never seem to hold an edge as long as my other blades (and 10's are my least used...go figure?)
                        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

The 10's just 'feel' the best to me. I rarely use 30's on dogs unless all my 10's are blunt, I do like them on cats though. I have a couple of 15's floating around in a drawer somewhere but I never use them. I dont own any 9's.

Comment

Working...
                          X