Kosher brush for an English Bulldog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosher brush for an English Bulldog?

I have an Israeli family that owns an English Bulldog. Dad asked me about shedding & I advised him on shampoo & conditioner & told him to get a curry brush. After I thought about it I realized they may be made of boar bristles and, with few exceptions, the family keeps a Kosher home. Is there a curry brush I can recommend that will be effective to aid in light (for an EB) shedding?
    Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 03-15-10, 08:35 AM.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

How

about a rubber brush. They can work good and still be soft for the skin.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

You can get 'hound mitt' style in horsehair or sisal, wood-backed horse-brush styles in nylon or different plant fibers. When I say "curry" I generally mean a rubber brush similar to a Zoom Groom or a rubber mitt.

Comment

I don't want him to use a rubber curry on short hair. The dog goes to the dermatologist plenty as is.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
          I don't want him to use a rubber curry on short hair. The dog goes to the dermatologist plenty as is.

I've always used a rubber curry on that kind of coat without any issues. What is it about rubber curry brushes that aren't good for the skin?

Comment

I learned they are abrasive to the skin.

Comment

[email protected]!

wait a minute-ok Im new and still learning, you better debunk me now while i'm still green
              arent you supposed to use a rubber curry on short hair? if not what do you use it on? and how is rubber abrasive to the skin I don't understand.

Comment

I use rubber curry brushes all the time. It's only thing I use on my Coonhounds. I've never had any skin issues to arise and have always used one when I give a medicated bath. I can't imagine it hurting anything especially if you use it gently. They work so well on that type coat.
                That Tenacious Terrier!
                www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I use the Zoom Groom on short haired dogs ALL the time. In fact that is pretty much the only thing I use on them. If you put too much pressure or use it incorrectly I'm sure it can be abrassive. Most of the dogs love the Zoom Groom.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

If using a rubber curry won't work for you, they can use a latex (or other) glove!

Raising beagles, I've had tons of experience with short tight coats and at times had forgotten the curry, but I always had a latex glove in my tool kit. It works FAMOUSLY for removing shedding hair

Comment

hmm, I have used rubber currys on horses and dogs all my life. Never had a problem with irritation, I've always felt it helped stimulate the skin and hair follicles. I like to finish just by rubbing my hands together for some humidity and firmly pulling them with the grain of the hair. The grooves in your palms and a slight moistness pull out a lot of hair, put on a shine and it's a nice massage for the dog.

Comment

If they are going to be so up-tight about the issue of the bristles on their dog's brush, I'd make recommendations on the type of brush to use and let them figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                          If they are going to be so up-tight about the issue of the bristles on their dog's brush, I'd make recommendations on the type of brush to use and let them figure it out.
                          I don't consider them to be uptight, necessarily. OTOH, I am certifiably neurotic and knowing they keep a (mostly) Kosher home do not want to recommend anything with boar bristles on it...thus this conversation. If I do not ask how will I learn? I also heard just today that people who show slick haired dogs ball up a pair of wool socks and do a final brush on beagles, bull dogs, horses, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                            If I do not ask how will I learn? I also heard just today that people who show slick haired dogs ball up a pair of wool socks and do a final brush on beagles, bull dogs, horses, etc.
                            Awesome Hint! thanks SNP!

Comment

Are they going to eat the brush?

I think using the brush on the dog wouldn't be an issue unless they are going to eat the brush afterward. Do they wear commercially produced leather shoes? That leather is made from cows that were not slaughtered under the supervision of a Rabbi, so following that reasoning the brush should be fine as well.
                              Kudos to you for being so respectful!

Comment

Working...
                              X