Andis Excel Five-Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andis Excel Five-Speed

I am looking for a reliable durable clipper that is very powerful and fast to get through dirty and unkept coats easily. I am looking at the new Andis Excel Five-speed clipper and they sound awesome. Has anyone used them, and if so how do you feel about them? Also, any better suggestions? Thanks.

German Red Clipper?

They now have a model that takes the regular blades that we are used to in North America, and it is supposed to have a 1.6 HP motor. Comments on it say that it can motor through some pretty ****** coats. I don't know - it's on my wish list for the future at this point.

Comment

I Have theese clippers and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!
      Very lightweight but powerfull!

Comment

I would love to have a pair of those.

Comment

how big around are they? I have the osters i use alot but theyve been making my hand numb It would be nice if something didnt make my hand numb

Comment

Andis 5 speed

I have had mine for 1 week......LOVE them...lightweight, easy to use; small enough to get under those low-slung, doxie shaped "poodles" and besides, they're PINK!!!

Comment

they are actually pretty light and small. They are the exact same size as the old boxy andis. Basically, if you took every thing out of an old andis, that is their weight. They are literally lighter than an arco

Comment

Excel 5 spd

These clippers are great but for a few flaws both in the clipper and with andis.
                The clippers:
                They will run hotter faster than your AGC's simply because the motor is working faster on the high speed if you keep it on that speed most often.
                There is a flaw (according to andis reps that brought them to my workplace) in the box on the cord. And it is the reason they are currently not marketed for the horse industry.
                If you are plugging them into the wall and leaving them then you are fine. However if you are pumping into the end or moving it around on an extension cord than wait to get a paid of these. They are soon to be replacing this end piece.
                Lastly, Andis isn't allowing anyone to repair these yet. They want to know of any problems that crop up and are telling repair people to send them back to andis. On the up side if their is a problem you get a new clipper but it might take a little while to get it.

Comment

I seen these at APF, and they felt great in my hand. I thought I'd wait to get a pair until I heard more about them. I'm glad a came across this.
                  "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

Andis gave me a pair of these since Im a distributor to check out back in September of 09. They know Im a groomer and will use it extensively in the shop and actually try to destroy it just to find any weak links in its design. The only way to really know a clipper is to use one in the shop, you cant really use speculation and hearsay.

Well, I havent seen any of the flaws that another has experienced at all. The clipper has never gotten hot on me but remember, I clean and oil blades and NEVER use coolant as blade care. Coolant will cause buildup on the blades from dander melting on it from the heat and this build up slows the cutter action down. When the clipper has to work harder to move the cutter back and forth, any clipper will get hot quickly.

There isnt any flaws in the cord that Ive seen as yet and Ive twisted it in many directions and dropped the clipper many times. The clipper has a low volt DC motor rather than the high volt motor. This allows the clipper to maintain cutting speed at low RPMS. The 5 speed has speeds ranging from the highest speed of your AGC 2 speed, to a couple speeds lower than the first speed of your 2 speed AGC. This clipper was designed to make the maximum cutting power of a rotory motor at a lower speed to keep heat down and prevent premature blade wear.

As a service center I will be getting parts for this clipper as soon as the initial production of this clipper slows down. Besides the blade drive of this clipper, the switch looks like it COULD be a weak part of this clipper, but it hasnt faulted out at all in the last 6 months. Its not a slide switch but rather a "touch pad" switch. From the inside it looks very heavy duty but as always, time will tell on any new products.

Most of you know that Im not a fan of Andis clippers because for my grooming style, they just dont seem powerful enough. I use Wahls and Laubes in the shop because I work on so many nasty matted dogs. However, this Andis 5 speed I fell in love with because it IS doing what I need it to do. Its very light......doesnt seem like there is a motor in it at all. And, its very slender (compares to a Laube Lightning), this lessens the force of your grip to hold it. So if you have any hand or wrist problems this is a good clipper to look at. The price is about $200, but if it keeps your hands and wrists from getting inflammed by lunch time its well worth the price. Try it and if you dont like it send it back within 30 days and get a different clipper. They have come out with a silver sparkle color, now so pink isnt going to be alone anymore.

I hope this helps you make a decision about possibly purchasing this clipper. I only know one person who didnt like the clipper but I think it had an issue from the start.

-------------------------------------------
                    Jeff Andrews
                    Northern Tails Sharpening
                    Mobile, Alabama &
                    New Orleans, Louisiana
                    251-232-5353
                    www.northerntails.com
                    [email protected]
                    "You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or “Northern Tails Sharpening” on Facebook.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a Andis 5-speed too, the first one was Pink but I sent it back cause it seem to lose power now and then as I was using it and they sent me a gray one as the were out to pink.

I've had it a month now and I like it, it's small to fit into your hand better, blades get hot if run on high too long just like your others, I don't use it on high speed for the body anymore. Can't say how it goes through matted coat since I don't do matted dogs.
                      I'd buy another one...

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. I bought these clippers about a month ago, and they are great. The first day that I used them, I had a lab shavedown, a husky shavedown, and a cocker shavedown all scheduled. A great day to test them out! They worked wonderfully. They are the lightest clipper that I have held so far, and very powerful. I love the range of speeds that it has, and the fact that the lowest speed almost runs silent with a well kept blade. I agree about the switch looking like it could fail at some point, but so far it has worked fantastic for me. I strongly reccomend this clipper for groomers of any types of coat.

Comment

It is so awesome to have access to knowledgable and professional groomers!!! I think this just helped me make up my mind on a new pair of clippers. Thanks!

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
                          Andis gave me a pair of these since Im a distributor to check out back in September of 09. They know Im a groomer and will use it extensively in the shop and actually try to destroy it just to find any weak links in its design. The only way to really know a clipper is to use one in the shop, you cant really use speculation and hearsay.

Well, I havent seen any of the flaws that another has experienced at all. The clipper has never gotten hot on me but remember, I clean and oil blades and NEVER use coolant as blade care. Coolant will cause buildup on the blades from dander melting on it from the heat and this build up slows the cutter action down. When the clipper has to work harder to move the cutter back and forth, any clipper will get hot quickly.

There isnt any flaws in the cord that Ive seen as yet and Ive twisted it in many directions and dropped the clipper many times. The clipper has a low volt DC motor rather than the high volt motor. This allows the clipper to maintain cutting speed at low RPMS. The 5 speed has speeds ranging from the highest speed of your AGC 2 speed, to a couple speeds lower than the first speed of your 2 speed AGC. This clipper was designed to make the maximum cutting power of a rotory motor at a lower speed to keep heat down and prevent premature blade wear.

As a service center I will be getting parts for this clipper as soon as the initial production of this clipper slows down. Besides the blade drive of this clipper, the switch looks like it COULD be a weak part of this clipper, but it hasnt faulted out at all in the last 6 months. Its not a slide switch but rather a "touch pad" switch. From the inside it looks very heavy duty but as always, time will tell on any new products.

Most of you know that Im not a fan of Andis clippers because for my grooming style, they just dont seem powerful enough. I use Wahls and Laubes in the shop because I work on so many nasty matted dogs. However, this Andis 5 speed I fell in love with because it IS doing what I need it to do. Its very light......doesnt seem like there is a motor in it at all. And, its very slender (compares to a Laube Lightning), this lessens the force of your grip to hold it. So if you have any hand or wrist problems this is a good clipper to look at. The price is about $200, but if it keeps your hands and wrists from getting inflammed by lunch time its well worth the price. Try it and if you dont like it send it back within 30 days and get a different clipper. They have come out with a silver sparkle color, now so pink isnt going to be alone anymore.

I hope this helps you make a decision about possibly purchasing this clipper. I only know one person who didnt like the clipper but I think it had an issue from the start.

-------------------------------------------
                          Jeff Andrews
                          Northern Tails Sharpening
                          Mobile, Alabama &
                          New Orleans, Louisiana
                          251-232-5353
                          www.northerntails.com
                          [email protected]
                          "You Now Have A Better Choice"

Search for me or “Northern Tails Sharpening” on Facebook.
                          Debi
                          http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                          My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

Working...
                          X