Kim Laube Mammoth Combs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Laube Mammoth Combs

Anyone ever use these or have any feedback on them? They are very pricey. Do they fit on any clippers?

WOW! Those are ginormous but could save a lot of scissoring time.

Comment

I saw those on their website...I'm curious if anyone has used them. They are pricey, too pricey to buy just to experiment.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe they were meant to be used with a vacuum clipper system only. Have heard they are very rigid and break easily from the few people I know who have tried them. Have not heard anyone rave about them though.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

The biggest issue with them is that they ONLY fit the disposable blade that Luabe sells and they are not great at working without a vac system. that is what I was told by the Laube family. Personally I only need one more length, being about 3 inches...everything else is overkill and I cannot imagine using them unless you do a ton of larger dogs, which I don't. Mostly small dogs here and if I need 6 inches, I am scissoring it. The comb would be as big or bigger than many of my dogs I groom. Great idea though.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I have a set and they are hard to get onto the blade and yes they have to be used with the blade that comes with the set. I couldn't figure out how to get the comb on the dang blade without chewing up the grove the blade sits in on the comb. Once that happens the comb is usless. If I remember right the combs don't have a spring clip on them. I can't remember if you need to use with a vac system, what is left of them has been in the parts box in the garage.

Comment

Thanks guys. The reason I asked was I have a few clients who want their shih tzu's coats at around 3 inches and I have been lifting the coat with a comb and trimming the ends but I don't know if I am getting all of the hair or if there is a better way to do it. Then I wondered to myself if they made snap ons in longer lengths and I came across these. I don't know how well they would work with drop coats like that anyways but I just thought I would check.

Comment

Redesigned

According to a new catalog I just received, the Mammoth Combs have been redesigned and "can now be used with any brand clipper without a special blade".

Also the regular Laube Combs have also been redesigned adding Side Rails to help keep the combs from popping off.

Scott

Comment

Mammoth combs are unique and do take some practice. There is a special blade that comes with the combs and lasts for a long time (I have had mine 2 years) and replacement blades are about $20.

I do use the 1 1/2 inch - 3 inch the most often but they do go up to 6 inches. I haven't had any problem with mine breaking and have found them to be pretty durable.

The mammoth combs were designed to be used "barber style" meaning: 2 handed, 1 hand hold your clipper with mammoth comb attachment and in your other other hand hold a comb (greyhound style). Once you get used to it you will LOVE them- I use them all of the time on my Golden Retrievers and Spaniels with full furnishings.

I hope this helps :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                    The mammoth combs were designed to be used "barber style" meaning: 2 handed, 1 hand hold your clipper with mammoth comb attachment and in your other other hand hold a comb (greyhound style). Once you get used to it you will LOVE them- I use them all of the time on my Golden Retrievers and Spaniels with full furnishings.
                    That's interesting. I guess if you don't have a clipper vac, then this is the way to use them. I might have to give 'em a try. I already have combs up to 2in, I would like a 3in. I don't think I would need anything above that. I do a lot of big dogs, but it's faster for me to just scissor by hand if they are getting anything much longer than 3 inches. I'm a pretty fast scissorer.

thanks so much for the input Gracy.

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                      According to a new catalog I just received, the Mammoth Combs have been redesigned and "can now be used with any brand clipper without a special blade".
                      Well, that is good to hear. I want a longer comb than my 1" SS combs but I refused to go with a disposable blade.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Are there other companies who make combs longer than 1"?

Comment

I have laube combs that are 1'' 1 1/2'' and 2''. They are very nice. They aren't quite as nice as the wahl stainless steel, but they get the job done. They are great for breeches on a golden or sheltie. I also have an OES that gets the 2'' comb on the body with scissored legs...they work great for that kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
                            I have laube combs that are 1'' 1 1/2'' and 2''. They are very nice. They aren't quite as nice as the wahl stainless steel, but they get the job done. They are great for breeches on a golden or sheltie. I also have an OES that gets the 2'' comb on the body with scissored legs...they work great for that kind of stuff.
                            Can you use it on any blade or do you need special blades?
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

you can use them on any blade. I use them on a 40, 30, 15, and 10. They are just like any other snap on comb. They are plastic, not stainless.

Comment

Working...
                              X