Human hair dryers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human hair dryers

After getting the idea from a Jodi Murphy DVD, I started using a human hair dryer to do finishing touch-ups and to "set" fluffed coats. I like the ease of brushing and drying with a handheld versus a stand dryer (can't get the hang of them) I use a garden-variety drugstore dryer for the job, no more than $15-$20. I know this is a weird question, but would it be worth the investment to buy a salon-quality human dryer? I'm wondering if a nicer dryer would be less intense on the dog's skin/coat, more efficient, etc. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

I'm in a mobile and do not have a stand dryer but I do use my human blow dryer on many a Bichon. Really though I use it for at least a few minutes on nearly everydog. I like to finish around the ears and face with it. I always have my hand where I can feel how warm it is. I keep it on my third arm right on my table and have been using it for about 3 years. It's a great tool.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogmom View Post
      After getting the idea from a Jodi Murphy DVD,
      What one?

I would buy a higher quality one but that's me....I want to make sure that it can handle the stress of being used time and time again most every day
      ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
      Apparently common sense isn't all that common
      *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I wanted to ask which Jodi Murphy DVD she uses that technique? Now I'm curious and would love to see it in action!

Comment

I have a hand held "human dryer" that has 2 power settings & 3 heat settings. I love it. I also use it at the end of the groom to fluff, just to see if every thing is even and find any stickie outies I might have missed. When I,m doing house call, I turn it on low power, med heat and lay it on the table pointed in the direction of the wet dog & let it run while I'm trimming nails, combing out, cleaning ears,, etc,, cuts drying time in 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by lyttleravyn View Post
            Sorry I can't answer your question, but I wanted to ask which Jodi Murphy DVD she uses that technique? Now I'm curious and would love to see it in action!
            It was one of the free ones. If I remember correctly, she was using it to fluff a cocker and she had it hanging around her neck from this cool contraption she designed.
            Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

I do the same thing. We used them at the salon and now I have two in the mobile. The first one I had was just a tiny travel one for little scared-ey dogs since it fit in the palm of my hand, then the other is really for fluffing and setting coat.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

The DVD that shows the human hair dryer is :
                Jodi Murphy's Tips, Techniques and Finishing Touches

Comment

Salon hair dryers

The thing I have noticed about professional quality people hair dryers is that they are hotter and blow harder, two things you don't usually need at the same time for most dogs for the finishing work you describe.

However, I have used the home hair dryer type that has 3 heat settings and 2 power settings (i.e., blow soft and blow hard), and it works OK. And you can get some good quality blow dryers at TJ MAXX, I believe.

However, I love a good stand dryer - look, Ma, no hands!! I have a Speedy Rocket dryer, which used to be Bonat Rocket dryers. These are NOT high-velocity, loud, wild-n-crazy blowing dryers. They have heat, are low noise, but very wonderful for the finishing that you describe. However, they are about $500, so you may want to save up your pennies, lol.

Comment

I have used a Chi to finish a Schnauzer and you would not believe how fast it dries! I would not buy one, however, because there was no cool shot button.
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I was led to believe

that the human hair dryer is hotter than the doggie ones, but I don't know. Of course there is the liability issues of human versus dog products but sometimes you just do what you think is right. I use the Andis little dryer for all heads and a bit of fluffing for curly coated dogs. I also use it all the time for dryer frightened dogs and often on little dogs as it is just as easy. The one dryer I have has lights that shine on the drying part so I can see well, including skin.
                      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I love using my conair human blow dryer! I use my groomers third arm on my table so no worries on using the stand up dryers.

It works perfectly for faces and fluff drying smaller dogs. Make sure to get the ionic style of dryer.

Comment

OMG I thought we were the only ones who did this-I like this one the best with the third arm.

http://ww1.glimpse.com/buy-1EPPHiEkr...lon+appliances

Comment

For years I have used the cheep hand held dryers from wal mart.
                            I will never go back. I just got a great dryer from Sally' Beauty supply. Wow, 1st the cord is longer!! Happy dance no more strangling my self with cords. 2nd when I went in I aske the clerk if there was a quiet running one. She handed me the Belson po 1875. All I can say is that it is more than 50% quieter than any chepo I have ever bought before. I am not going bach to the wal mart ones ever again. Even if I only get 1 year out of this dryer for my ears and for the cord I am staying with the professional ones.

Comment

We use human hair dryers all the time. They are very handy. We usually use them after we are done with the HV to give a final fluff and make sure everything is straight and dry. I use a third arm, and I also just tuck it under my arm and maneuver around the dog with it. I just make sure to get one that is the Ionizer.

Comment

Working...
                              X