Got a Dremel for Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Dremel for Christmas!

My boyfriend bought me one. I got to pick it out, and I got the small cordless one so it fits nicely in my hand. He keeps calling it a Dremlin.

I tried it on my dog. I used the sander to grind the nail down....would I use the stone file to buff?

And....it seems like it might burn...how long can I grind each nail? How long does it take to get used to??

Never used one before.

I'm excited.

First clip the nails, then with the dog's foot coming from behind you under your left armpit; balance your right against the hand holding the foot, to steady the dremel; then gently press it toward you, toward the dog's toe; you will feel it slow down as you near the quick, then ease off and round the edges.
    Use a coarse band if you want to remove a lot of nail; a fine band to smooth the edges and buff it. a stone works pretty well, but gets hotter, I believe.

Comment

Be careful when you put on a new sanding band, it will cut thru the nail really fast and you will be into the quick before you know it! Also be careful when the band gets almost worn out and you are thinking its time to replace it, the band will break and fly off when you are grinding a nail. Trust me, it does not feel good to get smacked on the forehead with a sanding band....

Comment

I don't like the battery dremels. The plug in one has more power.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

That is exactly why I like the battery ones; less power; if you accidently snag a chunk of hair it won't yank it out by the roots or tangle in a ear or tail if the dog jumps.
          I clip the nails first and the battery dremel is just fine for shortening and smoothing them.
          deidre

Comment

Go to peticure.com and watch the videos, then go to WindyWays blog and read her article on nail care. Answers given, free of charge.

While you are at Peticure, order the head for the darn thing to make it safe to use! If you follow the instructions on their site the nails will be smooth with only one head. I never switch off heads on the thing or else I would have to have two going.....too time consuming!
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
              Go to peticure.com and watch the videos, then go to WindyWays blog and read her article on nail care. Answers given, free of charge.

While you are at Peticure, order the head for the darn thing to make it safe to use! If you follow the instructions on their site the nails will be smooth with only one head. I never switch off heads on the thing or else I would have to have two going.....too time consuming!
              If she got the small cordless, the dremel cap won't work. You'd have to get the corded or the 10.8v cordless. I bought the big cordless for that very reason. I love that cap! But I only have 1 client who asks for dremeling anyway...shame.

Comment

Petacure head

I have the cordless one and the petacure head works on mine
                MEme

Comment

Originally posted by RevWind View Post
                  I only have 1 client who asks for dremeling anyway...shame.
                  I rarely am asked for it, but I use mine a lot. I like it for the small dogs that you know like to climb their people. The owners (when they notice) appreciate them being smooth. I also use it often on dogs with dark nails (especially big dogs, for some reason) to get closer to the quick after clipping, or if the nails are fairly short to begin with.

I have a battery operated one too, and I like that it will stop if the hair gets caught on it. I don't like that it will only work for fifteen minutes or so before the battery needs to be recharged! I keep the stone grinder on it. I'm careful not to let it get hot. It only takes a few seconds on each nail anyway.

Comment

It fits my small one. I use the Litihium Ion one though. As much power as a corded one and about two hours of power on one charge. I usually charge ONCE a week. On the weekends.
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                      It fits my small one. I use the Litihium Ion one though. As much power as a corded one and about two hours of power on one charge. I usually charge ONCE a week. On the weekends.
                      Which is the one you have? The small one I'm thinking of does not have a screw off head for the cap to screw onto.

Comment

Wallmarts sells a cordless dremal for $20 bucks it has slightly less power listing on it and to be honest I don't feel or see the difference between it and the pet dremal which sells for $49 and up.. for those on a tight budget this works just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                          Wallmarts sells a cordless dremal for $20 bucks it has slightly less power listing on it and to be honest I don't feel or see the difference between it and the pet dremal which sells for $49 and up.. for those on a tight budget this works just as well.
                          That's the one I picked. It's nice and small in my hand. I've been having fun practicing with my good dogs. I'm getting used to it.

Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

I love love love my dremel. I've been using one for 10yrs and would'nt be without one. I've used many over the years, now I just have a regular corded one because I like the power for giant and large breeds. I demel almost every dog that comes through my doors. I service a large elderly population and I find it helps with not cutting human thin skin. JMO

Comment

I am a dremel fanatic. There is not a toenail that I don't dremmel. I have the corded one. I stole it from my hubby's shop. lol It takes a bit to get used to but stick with it. The dogs LOVE it. So much better then clipping and I never, ever quick a nail.
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X