Speed Feed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Feed??

This may sound stupid but.....I've read that some of you use what's call a "speed feed"? I'm assuming they're clippers but what's so special about them? Can someone explain?? It sounds like maybe I should be looking into getting these??

Laube Speed Feed

They are light, cordless clippers that come with 2 rechargeable batteries so that you can keep on truckin'.

There are pros and cons, but I DO use them quite a bit.

Debi Hilley (I think) has stuff on her blog about even using them with the comb attachment on the bodies of her groomed dogs, as she really likes the look.

They come with ONE blade that adjusts from a #9 to a #40 by moving a switch (not JUST those numbers, but most of the ones inbetween too - #10, #15, #30 - 5 sizes in one blade).

Comment

So do they keep their charge pretty well?? I know I'm always struggling with my dremel after awhile when the batteries start going bad on me. I got a pair of rechargeable mini clippers from andis for free for ordering a bunch of stuff and those things were not worth what I paid....which was NOTHING!! Of course, they just had a single very short blade that never seemed to cut any hair?? I really may have to look into these.

Comment

im glad you asked this question cause i was wondering the same thing,where can you buy them?

Comment

I think most suppliers that carry Laube would have them. I don't think there is a cordless clipper that can match the speed feed. It;s small,powerful,easy on hands,combs don't fall off,batteries don't have a memory so can be charged anytime. I have gotten some very severe pelted legs off safely wetshaving,and using it on #9.after drying was able to 7f.
          "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
          Quote:Cath

Comment

You should be able to find them in the regular catalogs... petedge, ryans etc....
            Or go to laube's website.
            If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

You can use them to clip the whole dog. The combs have teeth closer together than usual and leave a very nice finish especially on very thin maltese type coats that generally look ******. I can clip 3 to 4 small dogs on one battery but they come with 2 so you just switch over anyway. You can also just keep putting the clipper back on the charger between uses, you dont have to run it right down before recharging. They are definately worth buying. I also like that I can do a 9 length without having to use a regular 9 blade!!! I did a pom today with the 6mm speed feed comb, the owner and the next client couldnt stop raving about how awesome and plush he looked.

Comment

We have a pair of these at our shop the owner bought used from someone. I'm not sure, maybe the battery isn't charging all the way or what, but I found they are not very powerful at all and can't believe anyone could actually use them to groom a body. Do you think I should buy a new battery and try them again? Could that be the problem?

Comment

i love my speed feed! I've had mine for a few years and haven't had any real problems with them. Other than changing the blades, I've not had to replace anything else <knocking on wood>

They are great for doing under the neck (with the guard combs) or the pits, where there is such a risk of nicking with a regular blade. I also love to do small dogs with the guard combs.

It's been my experience if they seem like they are losing power, the blade may need to be either replaced, cleaned, or oiled. Of course, the battery may need to be replaced too, but I've never had to replace either of mine.

Comment

I'm not sure

There are some Laube,and speed feed experts on here,who will hopefully answer your question. I find mine has lots of power for such a little machine. The severe pelted doodle here had his pelt safely removed,mostly with the speed feed on #9.Although he looks kinds bald,when dry,and reclipped he looked good. The yorkie, every thing but the finsish scissoring/blending was done with the speed feed,and the combs. I find it very easy on my hands .Maybe yours needs a new blade? or batteries?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Love it

I agree with everyone about its versatility. I've never had a problem whatsoever. Battery seems to last a long time and it's never needed repair in many years of use. I've only replaced the blades. I use it with comb attachments quite often for entire grooms of small breeds, e.g., yorkies, maltese. Also, I find it lightweight and quiet. (Okay, where's my commission?) LOL

Comment

Yeah Gitl Where is my commision too? LOL I have only had 1 problem with mine that I would like to share just in case it wasn't an isolated incident. A few months ago I bought a new blade for mine,and was having trouble with it nicking the webbing on the backs of pads on #30,or #40/right out of the package. I kept inspecting it ,and could not figure it out. My daughter has better eyes,and finally saw the problem. It was misaligned,and shaved shorter on one end than the other,which made it catch skin on the very fine setting. My supplier of all things clipper and sharpener Adam's new edge replaced it no charge. The new one is fine.

Comment

SO can you use one for your main clippers? why or why not?
                          i like them but dont do enough dogs to need a trimmer that would get used once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                            i like them but dont do enough dogs to need a trimmer that would get used once in a blue moon.
                            They are not meant to be a clipper, but do work well in some instances AS a clipper. Honestly, I wouldn't want to rely solely on a speed feed to do all my clipper work.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                              I've had mine for almost a year, and use it exclusively on my 3 small dogs. The combs that come with it are all I need. I'm very pleased.
                              Debi
                              http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                              My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

Working...
                              X