Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-foaming, hypo, tearless, scent free, gluten free shampoo. Am I asking too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-foaming, hypo, tearless, scent free, gluten free shampoo. Am I asking too much?

Ha, gluten free. I slay me.

I use a recirculating bathing system. I am not interested in just spraying away the suds and beating back the foam after the fact. I would like to find a good hypo, tearless, unscented shampoo that doesn't create mounds of foam. Regarding the use of "too much" shampoo, the obvious answer of just cutting back the volume of shampoo to water isn't always the obvious answer it would seem hence my quest for a good low foaming shampoo. Any product recommendations? I like Best Shot ok which has been about as low foam as I have used, but it is not unscented or tearless. Bonus points if I can get it from Pet Edge which is running a special on shipping right now, but it's not a deal breaker if not.

I am looking at the Earthbath hypo tearless. It sounds appealing, but I would love to know how it performs in general and with a recirculating bather.

Comment

I can understand from digestion why gluten free would be great, but is its presence in shampoos truly a problem?

Comment

I was kidding about the gluten free which I meant laughing about it in the first sentence. I was just making fun of myself for seeming high-rent. Still would like to find a decent tearless, scent free, low-foaming hypo, though.

Comment

I used the Crystal Clear ( bark to basics/groomer's choice) in my recirculator today. Unscented, cleaned well and not crazy bubbly.

Comment

Not kidding Envirogroom is Gluten Free. Never could figure that one out. Anyway, except for the scent, Gentle Clean. It's a very mild fragrance, but it is a fragrance. Otherwise it fits your bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitewalk View Post
              I used the Crystal Clear ( bark to basics/groomer's choice) in my recirculator today. Unscented, cleaned well and not crazy bubbly.
              It is not tearless, is it?

Comment

Earthbath Tearless hypo is very low scent cleans very well. Sometimes 2 baths needed. As far as low foam w recirc NOPE. Bubbly. If you do Madra Mor mud, it is a good quick wash for dogs needing trimming. If using this product use a conditioner afterwards. No reactions ever from this product. Great for faces especially those w crusty chunks of eye boogers

Comment

I will check these out, thanks. I figured as much about the Earthbath when I went to look at reviews and one of the common comments was "lathers well."

Comment

Digging this thread back up to say I did try Earthbath tearless hypo and like it ok enough. It is super foamy, but I was warned and it's not totally unmanageable. It cleans well and satisfies scent sensitive clients. No complaints about performance or any reactions. But. My hands are suddenly extraordinarily dry. Not rashy or broken out. Just super dry and chapped. I see the above warning about using conditioner when using this shampoo, and I do (Coat handler). I can't think of anything else new in my line up. My other primary shampoo has been Best Shot which I've used for years wth no problem, and much of the Davis line. My skin isn't generally extraordinarily sensitive. But holy balls are my hands dry now. Anyone else have this with this shampoo? It isn't a deal breaker yet. I just wondered if it's common or if I'm just becoming a delicate flower.

Comment

Awe, delicate flower. I would smiley but can't figure it out. Anyway, while I use daily for faces it can be drying. Try some coconut oil on hands before you start the day and see if that helps. If not you might have to try something else out.

Comment

Ha! I probably am becoming a delicate flower in my old age. I use coconut oil a lot, but I just found an old free sample of Coat Handler's Skin Works, so I'm trying that out.

Comment

Oh my gosh I love that stuff. Although I haven't used it in awhile

Comment

Cockerlvr is right, Envirogroom is gluten free. It was explained to me that if a dog has sensitivities to gluten in its diet, it may also have sensitivities to gluten topically. I haven't seen seen anything one way or the other about gluten causing a reaction topically, but it could happen. Gluten is typically added in one form or another to thicken a shampoo to the consistency that we are used to seeing in shampoos, my understanding is that that is its only purpose, so Envirogroom took it out. Their shampoos are less thick than others, but I get more baths out of a gallon than with other shampoos too, I surmise it's probably because there's more shampoo in a bottle that hasn't been thickened by unnecessary ingredients. Much like Quad conditioners - no thickeners.

I was recently given samples of some Envirogroom products and have to say, for my water, the De-Shed system works far and away better than the Best Shot system that I started out with based on the recommendations on this forum. Their products are low sudsing and easy to rinse. Gentle Clean works well, but my favorite so far is the Hypo Remedy. Its fragrance comes from d'Limonene, a terpene (oil nutrient) that comes from orange peels and has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This one is not tearless, so I don't use it on the face, but it is not drying, dilutes well, is amazingly deodorizing, eases itchiness related to bug bites and skin irritations and I find coats are clean and lustrous when using it. It's a fabulous all purpose shampoo. I've also used it undiluted on dry feet for a few minutes before the bath and have had reports that dogs are licking their feet less than before, and to keep doing whatever I'm doing.

As for using Madra Mor as a cleanser, I have found it to be ineffective. I shampoo and clean first, then apply Madra Mor as a treatment to the affected areas.

Comment

The funniest thing is that after I had post the initial post here being all cheeky, a client really did ask me to use a gluten free shampoo on her dog. First time ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X