Dirty dog with a cast on her leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty dog with a cast on her leg

I do a lot of work with local rescues and I just got a call about a dirty schnoodle with a badly fractured leg. She needs a bath but has on a cast on her front leg. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? I'm not sure how good dry shampoos are; I've never tried them. I might be able to wrap the cast with plastic but until I see her I won't know what I can do.

Any ideas? I haven't seen this little girl but I'm told she is really sweet and doesn't appear to be in much pain. I would love to get her cleaned up for her foster family.

Brenda

Yes you could wrap the leg in plastic but consider what can seep underneath of course. We have used dry shampoos and they work OK but will the area cleaned by dry vs full wet wash might me different. I would put a towel over the plastic to help to stop seepage. Spelling? You might do more of a sponge bath close to that leg rather than rinse full blast and hoping it doesn't get under plastic.

Comment

I just had a minor surgery on my foot and they gave me the most awesome thing to go over it. https://www.google.com/search?q=cast...94897453858144 Cheap at A local drugstore and NO water got in at all. They have them for everything so if you were able to get a smaller one, say for an arm it would probably work perfectly.

Comment

Casts need to be changed periodically to check the progress and to make sure there aren't any skin issues going on. If possible ask the rescue if you can bathe the dog the day it's going to have the cast changed. That way the vet can remove the damp cast, dry under it and re-cast. At least that's how we do it at my place.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
          I just had a minor surgery on my foot and they gave me the most awesome thing to go over it. https://www.google.com/search?q=cast...94897453858144 Cheap at A local drugstore and NO water got in at all. They have them for everything so if you were able to get a smaller one, say for an arm it would probably work perfectly.
          I had no idea! These are awesome. I hope your foot is better.

Comment

Excellent suggestion!

Comment

Working...
            X