Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can you keep undiluted shampoo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you keep undiluted shampoo?

I have a gallon of Double K Hypo Plus. After looking at Parti's excellent video and blog about dilution, it has dawned on me that I am going to have this shampoo around for a long time. I was diluting, but not to the extent that I could dilute. I do house calls for indoor cats.
    Is there any decrease in effectiveness or safety of shampoo over time, as long as the shampoo is kept out of sunlight in a cool place?
    I ask because I had a degreaser that came in semi-solid form -- similar to a lotion. I kept it for less than a year, stored in my closet. One day I opened it and the chemical smell hurt my nose! I threw it away.

I've been wondering about this too. I bought a lot of grooming equipment at an auction and there were several gallons of shampoo & conditioners. How will I know when high quality products should be tossed?

Comment

I've asked this very question to the several dealers at GroomExpo and they all said that their product has a long shelf life, ...years. This proves correct in my experience, I've used shampoo that is at least 2 years old and have super results. I also used shampoo that is 4-5 years old on my doxies and also had super results. I've drawn a mental line on some medicated shampoo that is at least 25 years old.......I used it to scrub down my tub......and it still lathers as though it is new.

Happy not throwing it away

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

If it smells bad.....throw it to the curb. I am sure different shampoos have different shelf lives.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yes, if left undiluted and stored properly, it can go years. Regardless, if I have a shampoo bottle and it sits, I probably didn't like it and I will donate it or let my groomers take it. I try to buy stuff I will use. I wasted too much money on products that end up sitting.

Comment

Agree. The degreaser which I wound up throwing away wasn't my sort of product. I didn't like it. For one thing, it came in a big oddly shaped container, so was inconvenient to bring to house calls.

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
            Yes, if left undiluted and stored properly, it can go years. Regardless, if I have a shampoo bottle and it sits, I probably didn't like it and I will donate it or let my groomers take it. I try to buy stuff I will use. I wasted too much money on products that end up sitting.

Comment

Working...
            X