Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any Petrochemical free products out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Petrochemical free products out there?

I was recently diagnosed with allergies to alcohols and petrochemicals. Unfortunately the shampoos and conditioners and most of the colognes I use contain these. Right now I have been wearing gloves while bathing, but I'd like to be able to find some shampoos and conditioners that are safe for me to use without gloves. I am hoping for some recommendation for some products to look into. I have been looking on my own but it is hard to know where to start and so far all the better know brands I have looked into, even those claiming to be natural, have all used petrochemicals.

Most degreasers are of course petro oriented, so dish soap is out for you unless you get plant derivative. We use 7th Generation and it works great, laundry, dish soap, spray cleaner. So avoid Dawn.

http://www.wildwash.co.uk/pg/56/Why+use+Natural is a UK pet shampoo. http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/dog-shampoo/ I think Mercola's is.

I would double check Espree and even Madra Mor Muds if you do those. You can check out Bark 2 Basics and Green Groom, they may be at www.groomershoice.com. I am sure there are others.

Purepet? Earthbath?

Comment

Thank you Linda! I've never used dish soap on anything but dishes, but even the "all natural" shampoos I have been using are full of petrochemicals. It's even more difficult since so many products just include a few ingredients on the label or none at all. Thank you for the suggestions! I am hoping to be able to find something I can use.

Comment

I don't know if it's petro free but envirogroom?

Comment

How about Chubbs Bars?
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Than you cockerlvr! I did check them out, but their products contain Panthenol which is an alcohol, but their other ingredients look okay. Unfortunately it seem like a lot of the people I have contacted do not know what chemicals are what so I have been told a few time now that a product is okay only to find out that it isn't.

Cyn the unscented bar sounds like it should be okay. I talked with them and am getting a sample to try. Thank you. So far it is the only thing I have found that may work and isn't crazy expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomMiss View Post
              Than you cockerlvr! I did check them out, but their products contain Panthenol which is an alcohol, but their other ingredients look okay. Unfortunately it seem like a lot of the people I have contacted do not know what chemicals are what so I have been told a few time now that a product is okay only to find out that it isn't.

Cyn the unscented bar sounds like it should be okay. I talked with them and am getting a sample to try. Thank you. So far it is the only thing I have found that may work and isn't crazy expensive.
              You are welcome... Chubbs Bars are my go to shampoo.....and yep, the original unscented is my fav.....a clean slate so to speak.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Panthenol is not an alcohol....it is a humectant and emollient and moisturizer, but certainly not alcohol......Colognes For Pets has an Oatmeal Coconut Pet Shampoo that has coconut based derivative cleanser that is all natural if you order it without fragrance...or 98% natural if you want fragrance added.

Comment

I was able to use the sample on a couple dogs and was quite happy with the results. Both were light colors and I was surprised by how clean and bright they both looked afterwards. Now I just need to find an alcohol free conditioner.

Thank Rossi, I am going to have to give Envirogroom another look. It is so difficult trying to look up ingredients and trying figure out if they are safe for me to use. Thank you for the correction!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi View Post
                    Panthenol is not an alcohol....it is a humectant and emollient and moisturizer, but certainly not alcohol......Colognes For Pets has an Oatmeal Coconut Pet Shampoo that has coconut based derivative cleanser that is all natural if you order it without fragrance...or 98% natural if you want fragrance added.
                    ACTUALLY it is an alcolhol but not really..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthenol

"""Panthenol (pantothenol) is the alcohol analog of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), and is thus a provitamin of B5."""

and the term analog alcohol, as far as I can tell, means an item SIMILAR TO ....
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X