Best shampoo for skin staph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shampoo for skin staph?

I have this sharpei who has had many issues with staph, mostly the neck area. This is an ongoing problem but the vet has not suggested any particular shampoo. The vet only prescribed a spray on medication that I don't remember the name of. The clients previous groomer was using Les Pooch Medacetic shampoo. Her vet did say it was ok to continue use, but I don't particularly care for the scent, nor is this client seeing any difference in the itching at home.

The client gave me her own bottle and it's gone now, so I'm in a position to talk to her and her vet about possible change him to a different shampoo with client and vets permission.

I was thinking of either EQyss Mikro Tek, Espree M+Lacaid, or Tropiclean OxiMed. The tropiclean contains salicylic acids as does the medacetic from les pooch. I realize that I need to use something with bacteria & fungal fighting ingredients, just don't know what. Plus I don't want to turn him into a science project.

Has any of these shampoos worked for any of your most difficult skin clients, or do any of you have a better suggestion? I charge this client alot of money and she's an every 2 week grooming, plus I don't have to do his nails because they are very short already. I told her I would resupply the exact shampoo. I don't normally do that, but I make good on his grooms.

Should I just call the vet and have her prescribe a shampoo rather than choose one?

Why don't you call Davis company? They are in the business of medicated dog shampoos. Here is there website: http://davismfg.com/
    good luck. you sound like a very dedicated groomer. good for you !!

Comment

I have used the Espree's Melacaid with great results! I had a cruddy cocker that nothing worked but this.

Comment

Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent, meaning it causes the dead skin cells to slough off. It's sort of like a pealing agent, only not quite that strong. Salicylic acid is also the active ingredient in OTC wart removers, only it's at a stronger dosage. Most of the medicated shampoos contain keratolytic agents; salicylic acid, benzoil peroxide, pine tar or coal tar.

If it were my dog, I'd be using Davis Maximum Chlorhexidine shampoo, which is antibacterial/antifungal. If it were my clients dog, I'd have them ask their vet if that shampoo is OK to use.

Comment

Show Seasons makes a chlorhexadine shampoo called Soothe. It smells great and cleans up those skin nasties. I think Stephen said that they are a new sponsor here now. Their website is http://www.showseasonproducts.com/.

Their prices are great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
            I was thinking of either EQyss Mikro Tek, Espree M+Lacaid, or Tropiclean OxiMed. ...
            I would give Eqyss a call and probably try MicroTek shampoo and spray. I don't really care for Tropiclean Oximed.

Comment

I would use a Benzoil Peroxide-based shampoo, such as PyoBen, OxyDex, or SulfOxyDex. If the skin is flaky/oily, in addition to the bacterial lesions, the SulfOxyDex would be the best option.

Second choice would be a chlorhexidene-based shampoo.

Comment

I can't believe that you don't like the smell of Les Pooch medicated! It smells so yummy I could eat it! It smells like Apples! My all time fave scent
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Owell, my suggestion was denied by my customer anyway. I thought about trying the Davis chlorhexidine- it makes sense. I didn't even know Davis had those products. She loves the smell of the les pooch medicated stuff, I on the other hand want to vomit by the smell.

She just thought that it was the previous groomer that he has staph from and thinks it will never go away now. She's convinced her old groomer caused the infections and now I'm convinced that eventually she'll go elsewhere when she thinks I am also the problem. I don't think I'll lose sleep over that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                    Owell, my suggestion was denied by my customer anyway. I thought about trying the Davis chlorhexidine- it makes sense. I didn't even know Davis had those products. She loves the smell of the les pooch medicated stuff, I on the other hand want to vomit by the smell.

She just thought that it was the previous groomer that he has staph from and thinks it will never go away now. She's convinced her old groomer caused the infections and now I'm convinced that eventually she'll go elsewhere when she thinks I am also the problem. I don't think I'll lose sleep over that though.
                    I wouldn't lose sleep either Crystal...you did what you could going above and beyond to really educate and provide the pet some relief.

Let her go if she must!!!

Comment

I don't do any animals that I suspect have staph. Years ago I got a staph infection from a dog and I was on antibiotics for over 6 months. Never again, totally ruined my skin in the area that it affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Woof_x_2 View Post
                        I don't do any animals that I suspect have staph. Years ago I got a staph infection from a dog and I was on antibiotics for over 6 months. Never again, totally ruined my skin in the area that it affected.
                        That would actually be kinda difficult, as staph is a normal part of the flora and fauna on skin. Even your skin. Hot spots are staph infections. Those brownish, crusty plaques you find on dog's skin are usually staph. Flea bite dermatitis usually ends up with staph. It's everywhere, and it ain't going away.

Comment

I think Malaseb is the best- antibacterial/antifungal. But the thing with medicated shampoos is that you have to use it at least twice a week until the skin problem is under control- most vets will recommend every other day for serious issues. Because most people don't do that- the shampoos can't take their full effect.

Comment

helly it is very possible for someone to get a staph infection from someone else as it can be transmited through an open cut on your skin if you touch it. my husband was in the hospital 2x for this the infection got in his blood stream and both times he was in the hospital for about 8 days or so the dr told him that because he was overweight and his skin was so stretched out that he might of scratched too hard and opened his skin and got the infection that way so that's another way of getting it too.

Comment

re Davis products

My Shih had awful stinky skin, & is very allergic to fleas.

I ordered the Davis Miconazole (2%) and Max Chlorhexidine (4%) shampoos.
                              Along with every other medicated shampoo they make & several others.

OK I'm thinking MAYBE the shampoo addiction is a little out of hand....)

IT actually says on the bottle after soaking with Miconazole, follow with the Chlorhexidine. (It's the same as a popular vet shampoo- sneaky!)
                              I use my bathing system taking my time then letting each application sit for 10 minutes or so.
                              Rinse extra well.

No conditioner.

Then towel dry only- she has a 5AO.
                              I do this every other day.
                              She has never looked better!!!!

THANKS DAVIS!!
                              Erica

PS -those not using a recirculating bathing system, I learned from Gemdach on this board, to hyper dilute shampoo by mixing/diluting in a bucket then applying the mix first. Don't wet the dog first.

Comment

Working...
                              X