Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanna use mousse and hairspray, can I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna use mousse and hairspray, can I?

What do you know about using mousse and hairspray? I am so interested in using products. I don't know which ones to buy. I do want to buy the brands that are for dogs because there is much heated debate about rather or not to use human products on dogs so I choose not to so I don't upset any customers.

What brand is good and not really expensive. How do you use mousse (wet hair or dry hair, or both), when do you use mousse, when does mousse/hairspray help you most?

I used it today to set schnauzers eyebrows while drying. Worked wonders! I have heard some groomers online say that the products cause a buildup and isn't good for pet dogs only show dogs because it causes tangles and matts if not washed out soon. Is that true? I would love to use products of all sorts on my clients if the owners wouldn't mind. Should the owners be notified? I don't think so because I am the professional groomer. I know when I shouldn't use products, like on a dog with sensitive skin or allergies.

I would love to dig your brain for all the goodies that you have about dog hair products. What do you use and where do you buy it? Do your clients moms and dads comment on a difference that they notice?

Thanks bunches!

Why?

would you want to do that on a pet? Show dogs have this done because nobody is touching them except a judge. It does cause build up and in fact can cause breakage if not removed properly. It attracts dirt and dust and the minute the dog walks out your door it will have been a waste of time and money on your part and are you going to pass that cost on to an owner because you like to play with product?
    If you can't make the dog look the way you want naturally don't expect the product to do it for you. Most show people use human grade sprays and goo anyway.
    IMO the few products worth using on pets are the coat sheens like The Stuff, CC and Royal Crown coat protectors for straight drop coats.

Comment

Originally posted by soapy scissors View Post
      I have heard some groomers online say that the products cause a buildup and isn't good for pet dogs only show dogs because it causes tangles and matts if not washed out soon. Is that true?
      YES, it is true. I will not use hairspray (haven't tried mousse, but I can't forsee a reason why on a pet) on my clients. The way I get my dog's hair to stay is to comb and cut over and over! I can't do that if it's hairsprayed. So the end result looks even but when the hairspray wears out it's choppy. Also, it is such a temporary fix.

Occasionally, if I have a yorkie, malt, or shih tzu topknot that has fly-aways, I will use a leeeeeeeeeeetle bit of Garnier Fructis Surf Hair, combed through, to get it all to stay. It doesn't attract dirt or mat up. That's about it.
      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I've done it

I gave my dog a mohawk & used some hairspray in there, & it lasted about 24 hrs or so. It was fun & I got to get a different view of the job I'd done on her mohawk but it's not good for hair. I just read the other day that product is the main cause of human hair damage. So, maybe you'd better not bother. Plus our job is to get the hair in as good of shape as possible, right?

Sorry, can't recommend any products except I'm pretty sure it's Royal Coat Crown Protector that Jodi Murphy recommends.

That said, it's really hard listening to advice when that advice, as intelligent as it may be, comes across as snarky. Can't a person ask a question or present an idea without getting bashed just for bringing up an idea someone may not like

Comment

Dog show people do use mousse ansd chalk and then Grande finale hair spray BUT

as soon as they are finished for the day at the ring, they wash it right. to leave it in for long causes tangles and other undesirable results. Never hairspray unless you want tangles. I use THE STUFF to make them soft and anti static spray.

Comment

I will put a tiny dab of gel on eyebrows or tied topknots, and I'll spray up mohawks; beyond that I don't use any spray, mousse, chalk, or gel on routine pet grooms. If I know the pet is going to be photographed, I'll offer to "do-it-up" and have them come back afterwards so I can wash the stuff out.

"That said, it's really hard listening to advice when that advice, as intelligent as it may be, comes across as snarky. Can't a person ask a question or present an idea without getting bashed just for bringing up an idea someone may not like "

What in the world? Snarky? Bashing? Where in the whole two responsive, constructive replies did you find anything snarky or bashing?

Comment

Funny, I use it all the time! I use Freeze it on heads and mousse as well.

You use Mousse while wet to add volume and texture and Hairspray to hold the shape. I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE and use a can of spray very week or two in the shop.

I am working on a blog entry (along with many others) but there is an entry on my blog about spray ing up yorkie heads.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
                would you want to do that on a pet? Show dogs have this done because nobody is touching ...IMO the few products worth using on pets are the coat sheens like The Stuff, CC and Royal Crown coat protectors for straight drop coats.
                AuntieBeth, this may the ONLY THING you have ever posted I completely, 100% disagree with. Sigh....A little product in a pets coat to help the hair stand or stay shaped will result in a better finish to the groom, making it look BETTER than it would without it once it breaks down and YES it breaks down just fine. I have dogs that I spray heads up on every week or two and have for years. NO ILL EFFECTS. My own dog, Toto gets his head srayed up every few days and has never had an issue.

I DO use some dog products b ut have not found them to work really well, so i stick to mainly human grade, which, in this tye of product, work great and cause no problems. IMHO it would be wrong NOT to use them if it would give you faster, beter results than what you can get without them for the same money. HECK I charge MORE for grooms in here than most other shops in town do and the products give me a product I can charge more for with minmal effort. Since sprayin gup a yorkie head takes me two minutes and yet the result is so fantastic, I would be silly not to do it. A little spray in a topknot will make it much easier to scissor sometimes than oine without it thus saving me time and making the finished product look better.

Almost every schnauzer that comes through my doors gets a bit of product n their legs and eyebrows. It makes the hair easier to workwith and gives me a nicer finish as well.

NONE OF IT lasts more than a few days and my clients keep their dogs clean and in good condition. Maybe that makes a difference. I dont know, but I do know that the quality of my finished work would diminish GREATLY if i did not use the products that I have at my disposal.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by my.cats.name.is.psycho View Post
                  That said, it's really hard listening to advice when that advice, as intelligent as it may be, comes across as snarky. Can't a person ask a question or present an idea without getting bashed just for bringing up an idea someone may not like
                  Thanks my.cats.name.is.psycho, when I read her response I was put back a bit. It seemed to be a bit snotty. To say that I will ruin the dogs coats because I just want to play with products was inappropriate. I don't want to play. I want to use what is at my disposal to make my clients look better. You can't deny that yorkie hair has a mind of it's own and I believe that if I added a bit of mousse (a bit not the entire can) then I would have a stiffer hair to scissor and it would hold it's place.

I will use products and I will only use products on clients that come in often.

Soapy

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                    Funny, I use it all the time! I use Freeze it on heads and mousse as well...blog entry (along with many others) but there is an entry on my blog about spray ing up yorkie heads.
                    Particentral, I appreciate the insight. I know that the dogs in shows are covered HEAVILY with products that is why it must be washed out promptly. I intend on using it sparingly as to hold the finished look for a day. Products are made to help in grooming. My thought is that people use products to look better and to hold that perfect style so I want the same for my dogs.

Comment

One thing you might consider rather than spray or mousse. KY jelly. Apply it when the coat is wet, comb it through, and dry. It really does work wonders, and there's no real liability issue, because vets use it as a lube when collecting fecals, doing internal exams, and the like. If it accidentally gets in the eyes there's much less risk of irritation. And if you make sure you get the water based product rather than glycerine base, it rinses out with no build up.

Comment

Particentral and bb bird both have blogs about using products and both use humane grade. I use hairspray and mouse all the time to get a better finish and my dogs don't come in all that regular and they never come in worse if I use products vs I dont. I use freeze hairspray and big and sexy mouse. I use mouse on every yorkie I do. Since I started using it my heads turn out so nice. I also use hairspray to get better finishes on the legs of schnauzers and yorkies. I love using products.

Comment

I have about 10 yorkies that all brought me pictures of yorkies with perfectly round westie heads saying they wanted their dogs to look like that. What ever it took, which means hairspray (Im a freeze user also). So 3 years later Im still spraying up those original 10 and lots more because they all want that cute round head. So far no ones come back bald because of the hairspray. So I say SPRAY AWAY!

Comment

What about Isle of Dogs vanity products? I have the Hold mousse. I've only used it once so I can't gauge how I feel about it. Though I definitely didn't hate it, the one time I did use it. I have Lift too, which I do like very much. Anyone else using this collection?
                            That Tenacious Terrier!
                            www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I think what my.cats.name.is.psycho was trying to get at(at least what I understood) is that like her/himself it is really disappointing to get 'snarky' comments when you ask questions as a newbie. I have seen her/him as a lot of questions and am assuming they are new to grooming and may be getting some bad responses. I know being newer myself there are a lot of different opinions going on and some disagree with topics we are asking questions about but do it in a way that isn't constructive, kinda makes ya feel stupid for just asking!

Annnyway, as far as the original post. I use CC thick n thicker spray in poodle top knots & schnauzer legs.. so far.. Still working with it a bit here and there. I don't like to use a new product with fragrance without asking customers first and usually I forget to ask until the owner is gone. When I do use it, I dry the hair, spray, then fluff it up with heat+slicker. Don't over do it or you get flakies, just a light mist. It makes poodle tk look awesome.. it's not crunchy, just like normal hair but now with body.

Comment

Working...
                              X