Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the shampoo is killing my hands/arms... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the shampoo is killing my hands/arms... help!

Hey there...
    I started at a new shop a few months ago and I really love it there. I do table rental now so I have to buy my own product. The person who owns the shop uses Fresh n Clean Oatmeal as her primary shampoo. I've just been using the same bc thats what the customers are used to. However, at the end of every day my hands and arms (anywhere the shampoo has touched) is irriated, red, rashy and hurts so bad. It has to be the product. I've worked at other shops and though my hands have gotten dry its never been this bad. We used a variety of shampoos at the other shops where I've worked. So I guess my question is.... Does anyone know of or can suggest a shampoo that is good for your hands? Or at least is mild or something? They make dish detergents now that are good for your hands, where is the pet shampoo? lol
    Thanks for your help!

If the owner is open to a different shampoo, then suggest something you know you don't react to. If the owner wants to keep the shampoo, then you need gloves!

Comment

I've never had any problems with any products from Best Shot or EZ Groom.

Comment

Gloves really are an answer but if you just cannot get used to working with them I used to use one of the brands of "liquid gloves." It's like a hand lotion but doesn't wash off easily and provides a stronger barrier action. Pharmacies and hospital supply stores carry them, and most likely online as well. I applied about 3 times a day and it did help.

Comment

Originally posted by jcasey829 View Post

They make dish detergents now that are good for your hands, where is the pet shampoo? lol
          You just answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
            You just answered your own question.
            Are you suggesting I use dish soap to wash dogs? I went to a NDGAA seminar a few months ago and they said the ph balance is compeletly different for us and dogs (I knew that but they went into such great detail with the skin of the dog that it really explained it nicely, I strongly suggest going to that workshop). I wouldnt think dish soap would be okay to use.
            Basically I'm looking for a good, gentle shampoo that isnt going to dry me out like crazy that someone may have first hand knowledge of. Maybe someone who had the same problems as me but then found something that worked better for them and did a good job on the dogs. I know a lot of companies are going 'green' so maybe someone can give me a suggestion for one of those lines to try. Or like the one poster said about the liquid gloves... I'm def gonna check that out. I just cant see using rubber gloves to bathe dogs because (to me) direct touch seems so important.

Comment

My hands are the same, I used to wear gloves and quit about a year ago. All of a sudden my hands are worse than ever!

direct touch is important but you do get used to using gloves and constantly double checking temps on your forearm. But say goodbye to dry hands and hello to a rashy forearm lol.

Comment

My daughter is my bather and she has the same problem. Her arms will get almost raw from the rash. We have experimented a lot over the years and she has narrowed the cause down to 2 things. Shampoos with baking soda and any pink or red colored shampoos. Sounds strange I know. There are still tons of other shampoos that don't bother her. We use a variety of shampoos Spa, Espree, Eqyss, Le Poosh, IOD, Show Seasons. We just stay away from baking soda types.

Comment

what shampoo is your shop currently using? Do you dilute it, use it straight? I really don't have any recommendations as I currently work for a corporate store and have only used 2 different lines of shampoo, one was a more bargain brand and the current one seems to dry the dogs out a bit, so I would imagine it would do the same to you. One thing I can think of though would be to dilute, don't ever touch the full strength shampoo. Also, second the gloves, I would rather be uncomfortable for a little while to not have dry itchy red skin all day everyday. I recently bought a vinyl apron to wear while bathing to keep my middle from getting wet, probably the best purchase I have made in a long time. I have also been thinking about wearing gloves lately too, not because I am irritated, but because I would like a manicure to last longer than a day! I have been really into doing my nails lately and w/ my hands in water a lot throughout the day, my polish will chip a little by the end of the day, it be great to do them every other day instead of every day.
                  I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                  -Michelangelo

Comment

I know the dilution of the shampoo is important. The groomer I am with used to use Epi-Pet which is good shampoo but you don't dilute it and it broke the bather out with rashes. We are now using Oster brand shampoos and do dilute this. Sometimes the ration is 50 to 1. You might want to try diluting it more and see if that helps. That was a topic at a seminar we visited and they were saying the same thing.

Comment

I have very sensitive skin. I put on gloves every time I head to the tub. It's kind of a pain, but it's my only option. Even a gentle shampoo can be too harsh if your skin is continually exposed to it.

The whole pH thing is kind of a myth BUT dish detergent belongs in the kitchen NOT in a grooming salon.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                        I have very sensitive skin. I put on gloves every time I head to the tub. It's kind of a pain, but it's my only option. Even a gentle shampoo can be too harsh if your skin is continually exposed to it.

The whole pH thing is kind of a myth BUT dish detergent belongs in the kitchen NOT in a grooming salon.

"So very true". I know of a groomer that uses Dawn detergent on dogs...yikes.

Comment

I break out from some shampoos. Some of Les pooch makes me break out Germinator makes me break out. I like Show Season, Quadra Pet, and my favorite is Espana. Espana is gentle on the dogs and my hands and makes the dogs dry quickly, brush out nicely and smell great but it one of the most expensive shampoos. So I use Show season cookie or oatmeal with quick dry for the first bath and then the espana as a second bath. Also Davis make the gold line shampoo that mix really great and is hypo. You can use this as a first bath and then a more expensive shampoo as a finish. I don't think the fresh and clean is a cheap shampoo. Its actually quite expensive and doesnt mix that well. A customer had me use it once and it was quite strong smelling

Comment

Originally posted by jcasey829 View Post
                            So I guess my question is.... Does anyone know of or can suggest a shampoo that is good for your hands? Or at least is mild or something? They make dish detergents now that are good for your hands, where is the pet shampoo? lol
                            Thanks for your help!
                            >>>

Allergies and excema are kind of individual, so I think you will probably have to find a shampoo that works for you. One thing I have done is hire a bather and do a couple more dogs a day, it makes a huge difference in my particular skin issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=jcasey829;409386]Are you suggesting I use dish soap to wash dogs? I went to a NDGAA seminar a few months ago and they said the ph balance is compeletly different for us and dogs (I knew that but they went into such great detail with the skin of the dog that it really explained it nicely, I strongly suggest going to that workshop). I wouldnt think dish soap would be okay to use. QUOTE]

NDGAA should not perpetuate that myth. It's not really important. If it were, we'd all be testing the pH of our water, both for bathing dogs and bathing ourselves. After all, we use a whole lot more water than we do shampoo.

The truth is, the pH range in pet shampoos and human shampoos is exactly that. A range. There are both high and low pH products in both. And there are neutral pH products for both, too.

Another consideration; have you ever seen a shampoo labeled "Do not use on German Shepherd dogs" or "Do not use on Labs?" I haven't. But I do know that the pH of those breeds is much different. I wish I could remember which is high and which is low, but I don't, and I'm too lazy to go look it up right at the moment.

As for dish soap. If you use dish detergent (it's not soap) you would be using it off label, which leaves you liable if the animal has an adverse reaction. And in that situation, your insurance carrier probably would not cover you. But there are groomers who use it without problems. There are people who breed and show that use dish detergent without problems. When I was a kid we used to wash our horses with dish detergent. And don't be fooled by their size, horse skin is more delicate than you think.

Now, on to the question at hand. If you know what shampoos you've used in the past with no problem, suggest switching to one of those. If the boss isn't willing to do that, gloves or barrier cream (or both) are the answer.

Derma Shield is probably the best barrier cream I've tried. And you can order it on line.

Comment

Working...
                              X