Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get some quality grooming gear on the cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get some quality grooming gear on the cheap?

What are some of your favorite online retailers? Who has the best deals?

Which tools/supplies do you choose "quality over quantity"?
    Last edited by Amanda Panda; 04-27-10, 11:23 AM. Reason: not getting proper feedback

I might be in the minority but I personally feel the answer to your title is, you can't. You get what you pay for in this business. That said, a lot retailers offer discounts and coupons. There are ads for equipment on here. If you buy in bulk you can often save. Check to see if there is a show around you can usually find a great show special. There are ways of finding deals on better quality items.

If you spend your money wisely on products that work instead of products you hate, you save a lot of money by using (and loving!) what you buy. I buy as quality product as I can and that TOTALLY reflects in my work. My scissors are more on the expensive side, my clippers are getting upgraded very soon, my blades are pretty pricey, I use Les Poochs brushes and combs, my products are premium, etc. But the result is getting the dog done faster, better, and with less hassle to me. I save a lot of stress to my body too.That not only saves me time but builds my clientele. That's money right there!
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Tr the used equipment for sale section of this board. That is the best I can do for you.

Stephen: That is www.petgroomerads.com and click the Used Products section, ads are free. You can also place a free ad in that section for
      "equipment etc wanted."
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I should clarify....

Inexpensive isn't my top priority!!

I'm mostly just looking for good place I can buy online, or maybe through catalog? thanks for the help!

Comment

On the Brink is right, don't waste your money on bunch of cheap stuff only to find out it isn't right for you. I made that mistake and know others that have as well. If you have the opportunity to go to grooming show DO IT. You can try out a bunch of different shears and find some that actually fit your hand and in your price range. Same with clippers you try out all the brands and find out which are too heavy for you, which are well balanced in your hand and once again in your price range. Not to mention the fact that there are all kinds of show specials you can take advantage of. It is well worth the money in the long run.

Comment

WOW…..what an oxymoron…… Go to trade shows, that way you can handle the equipment, such as scissors and clipper, to see if they “fit” your hand and if the weight is acceptable for your hand, plus most vendors have trade show sales and you don’t have to pay shipping charges.

Happy Shopping

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

have you tried Petedge.com or Ryanspet.com? Ebay is a good source as well.
              Debi
              http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
              My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

Originally posted by dogymom View Post
                have you tried Petedge.com or Ryanspet.com? Ebay is a good source as well.
                THERE you are! (& adorable little Keegan as well )
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                  THERE you are! (& adorable little Keegan as well )
                  hey Smart-n! Life just kinda got in the way.....but I'm getting ready to start a very small scale doggy spa in one of my bedrooms....getting all my ducks in a row and such...
                  Debi
                  http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                  My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

I like Groomer's Choice

For online. When I made my order for the month I'd compare prices with some of the pet supply places online and their prices (and selection) beat out everyone else on the small things and the big things. For example I'd find clippers there for 115 and the same ones would be anywhere from 130-200 on all the other websites I was looking at. Their groomer's choice brand is decent as far as no-name stuff goes, and I liked their selection alot.

As for items to splurge on and items to kind of cheap out on, it's probably individual preference. I knew I'd be doing alot of strip downs and shave downs so I started my budget out ready to spend good money on clippers and accessories, although I didn't buy a ton of clipper blades or combs (clients will have about 10 different choices for hair length, not 40 like if I'd bought every blade and comb available). Someone on here had mentioned she's only used her 4F once or twice---the 30, 15, 10, 7F and 5F are the most mandatory ones. And personally, I was all about the de-shedding supplies, but now I'm starting to really love scissoring so that's where the bulk of my tool money will be going. All the advice I have there is, just get the best you can afford. And get a Mars Flexi-Brush. There's alot of bang for your buck there.

So you might have to just figure out what it is you'll need and want. Get a starter pack for shampoos, a bunch of 12 oz bottles. B2B sells them, and so do some other places. CC has an intro pack too. So you can definitely save alot on shampoo and cond etc doing that.

Comment

Working...
                    X