No announcement yet.

Styptic Powder ( the good and the bad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styptic Powder ( the good and the bad)

I bought some Top Performance Styptic Powder from the Petedge company and had problems from the time I opened the container. It seems that if left opened the contents get hard. I found some Oster Pawformance and it doesn't have this problem. The bad thing is that they no longer make this product. I don't know about other groomers but I leave some in the cap all day and work from there when trimming nails. I have called the Oster company and it seems that if they have enough requests they will return making this product. I am open to suggestions in others also. The one ingredient that was in the Petedge brand and not in the Oster brand is sulfur. I am not a scientist so no sure if this would cause the problem.

If you are interested in getting this product back, please let them know! I am including phone, and address so if anyone is interested here is the information:

Oster Direct Service Center
    904 Red Road
    McMinnville, TN 37110
    Phone: 931-668-7171
    800-830-3678
    Fax: 931-668-7276

I hesitate to buy anything that is the Petedge brand...why not just use the original and easiest to get ahold of? Even the petsomethings sell it...Quik Stop.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

How about R-7??

I think R-7 is the brand I use, and it stays quite powdery.

Comment

I use the Davis brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
          I think R-7 is the brand I use, and it stays quite powdery.
          R-7 is quick stop and yes I have to agree this is the best I have found as well.

Comment

Kwik Stop.

If it starts getting hard I just scrape it with the nail clippers and it loosens up.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
              I hesitate to buy anything that is the Petedge brand...why not just use the original and easiest to get ahold of? Even the petsomethings sell it...Quik Stop.
              I used to buy Quik Stop and once I mistakenly left the top off and it hardened. So I started buying the Pet Edge brand for half the price and found absolutely no difference in performance. And regardless of brand I make sure the top is on & tightened. Besides, anything I leave the top off will get hair in it so for that reason alone I'm more careful.
              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Well, I never leave the top off anymore but I am most definitely a klutz and have knocked it over and spilled copious amounts of it more than once. So now I'm careful.
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

There is one advantage...when it is hard, it doesn't spill! I just loosen what I need as I need it. I have too many hands on the Kwik Stop, it always ends up hard.

Comment

I like using the little 'rocks' once it get's hard, just hold it against a nail and voila! And I can keep one handy in my tool box w/o worrying where the container is.

Comment

I have tried them all and nothing beats Bio-Groom. You won't believe how FAST it works until you try it.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

A couple of suggestions. I use a small container that holds a small amount of styptic, never the original container. WHY? Becuase IF it gets spilled or the top get left off I o nly lose a small amount. Big Lots has small travel sized containers that fit the bill perfectly. they are round and hold up really well. NOW I but the biggest container I can get to save money. After opening, however, they can still get hard even if they are closed, if they last long enough (and I do not ues very much QS to begin with). To avoid that, I use those little silicone packets that come in medicines, urses, etc. I put two or three in the container then never have to worry about clumping happening.

there are also nail styptic applicators that you pack the powder into and then stick the nail into. SOme pople have good luck with those. I never really did. Laube had (domt know if they still do) a conatiner with a "shaker" top. You shook out only what you needed.......
                        Attached Files
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I use the R7 Quik Stop, and buy the big container and separate it into one smaller container for my back bathing area where I do the big dogs, and then leave the rest of the big container on my front grooming table. I never leave the top off, and have had the same container for almost 4 years without it going hard.

I have HEARD, but never tried this, that you can soften it back up in the microwave. Maybe someone here can tell us if that is true.

Comment

I have had the same tiny jar for 2 years. It did get hard, I just shake the jar every once in a while so I have some loose and when I need it, I turn the jar over and shake some into the lid.

Comment

yup, microwaving works.
                              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                              X