South Bark-Just don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bark-Just don't get it

I had read so many rave reviews about South Bark Blueberry facials I decided to buy a gallon at Intergroom. I have been using it for a week and honestly, have no clue what the big deal is. The smell is awful. When I was at the show with a friend of mine and she smelled it she said the tropiclean version smelled much better. Today my employee took a whiff and gagged and said she had used it before and it had smelled much better then. So perhaps they have changed the fragrance? I don't think it cleans any better than the SS Truly Tearless I had been using on faces and again, what little scent is left behind is not what I would call overly wonderful. I'm also not thrilled at the whole aspect of having to massage it in for 2-3 minutes. I guess I am still not comfortable having anything around the eyes that has such a strong fragrance because even though products can SAY they are tearless, I know it doesn't mean it won't cause damage to the cornea. So please, be honest, is this just a marketing technique? I mean, I've been telling my clients that I bought this new product and that their dog will be having a special facial and they love the idea, so as an advertising tool or marketing technique I think it's a great idea. BUt after so many rave reviews I feel like I just must be missing something. And at $40 a gallon I guess I was expecting a heck of a lot more from the product.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I bought a small bottle (thank goodness) @ Hershey in 08, so I don't know if they've altered the smell or not...but 1 whiff of it, and my asst. said it made her nausous. So I could only use it up when she wasn't here...she was serious.
    If the bottle had no label, and I just sniffed it w/out all the hype...I would have thought it was bubblegum smell. Blech. Honestly...I didn't notice it doing any better of a job than anything else I've used on faces, just way pricier.

I think it's just one of those things that the people that love it....really love it, and the (minority, apparently) of us that don't...well, we really don't. I'll stick w/ my Tropiclean, NS Hypo-Aloe and Les Pooch Puppy.

I just gave myself a really, really, cool idea for a leetle experieeement I'm gonna try this week on a white face dog. I'll keep you posted...if it works...it'll be so much fun for the dog AND me!
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I also don't think it leaves a lot of scent after rinsing so at the last show I bought the Blueberry clove cologne that smells wonderful to compliment the facial. When I first started using it I wasn't overly impressed either but since I had already bought it I went ahead and used it anyway and I will tell you what impressed me the most is that it lightened the stains on the face especially on the white schnauzers mouth area. I really didn't notice it right away but the clients noticed how bright their faces looked and how the stains faded. I actually love to use it now. In fact I use it on the face and head and ears. I use it on my own poodles and love the results. I think it took a little getting used to and some time to really see the results. BTW my clients have raved about the blueberry cologne and I love the fragrance as well. I have migraines so I;m peculiar about scents but I love this one and it really compliments the facial. Keep using it since you already have it anyway and I'll bet that you'll soon love it, too.
      ~*~Robin~*~
      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I prefer the Tropiclean facial for the smell. Southbark is okay as far as smell, but a great whitener!
        Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

Yes, i too bought a gallon of it at APF. I was using the Tropiclean version before. I really think the Triopiclean one leaves a scent longer, and a better scent. The South bark wasn't all that to me either. Here i have a gallon of it so I'm using it on dirty white dogs.

Comment

i think it smells wonderful.

but for the price... and i dont think it cleans as well as my espree foaming facial

Comment

I think BBF is over-rated.

Not only that, as I have a variety of colognes as it is, why would I want the dog's face to smell like BBF when I used another scent on the rest of the body?

Comment

I think it smells really good and the SPA smells really good. I don't think it is worth $40 a gallon. I switched to using Nature's Specialties Berry Tearless Shampoo. It smells fresh and sweet and costs less. I occasionally use it all over for puppies/kittens.

Comment

I prefer the Spa Facial Scrub over the BBF as well, but just ordered the LP Puppy Tearless and really love that too! The SB BBF DID seem to smell bubble-gummy to me too and had no scent after. I want my face's to smell really nice so when the client cuddles their dog, it smells nice.

Comment

I never understood the hype about BBF. I bought a gallon of it a few years ago. I don't think it cleans the face any better then my regular shampoo and I certainly don't notice any scent after rinsing. Which is probably good because I absolutely HATE fruity smells anyway. (especially on a smokers dog. Fruit and nicotine are a horrific combination) I talked my daughter into taking a tiny taste of it just to see if it really did taste like blueberries. She said it didn't. After gagging and repeatedly rinsing her mouth out she said it tastes like soap. I tried to get her to stick some in her eye but she refused. Big chicken.

I DID try to get my 40 bucks back and offer a facial treatment for a few extra bucks. Only one client took the bait and I wound up not charging her the extra couple bucks because I felt like I was ripping her off and I just like the lady too much.

Wasn't impressed with the whole "whitening" thing either - but I've tried many whiteners with no luck. I think it might be because I have hard water? I dunno.

I'm not saying it's "bad" stuff. It cleans just fine, IMO...... but I didn't think it was anything to brag about and I sure as heck don't plan on spending another 40 bucks on it.

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                      I think it smells really good and the SPA smells really good. I don't think it is worth $40 a gallon. I switched to using Nature's Specialties Berry Tearless Shampoo. It smells fresh and sweet and costs less. I occasionally use it all over for puppies/kittens.

I also use the NS Berry tearless and I also like it a lot. If I'm not using any cplogne I will use the Berry because it leaves a nice scent. Il like it all over for the babies,too.
                      I did get a cranberry foaming facial from a vendor at APF that is supposed to be green and I don't know who makes it but I don't think it does very well cleaning.
                      I mostly use the BBF and not so much for the scent but for the brightening and fading stains. So far I think it does the best job for that.
                      ~*~Robin~*~
                      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I bought a gallon at the Pasadena Expo. Because of all the raves I read on here, I didn't know what to expect. I do love the smell. It does great as a whitener. I have a westie and I use it on her body also. Overall, I don't know if it lives up to the hype, but I do like it and plan on purchasing another gallon next year at the expo. I also got some samples of the Natures Specialities Berry Tearless. I liked the smell of it too and it is great on the faces, just doesn't have the whitening that the BBF does.

Comment

Ya know, I really like it. Scent is opinional, the Le Pooch Vitamin Enriched makes me gag while a lot of others like it, so it's whatever you think. But I love it for my brachycephalic dogs. You know that musty, almost moldy smell some shihs get in their face? BBF takes it completely away for me. My clients really like it too...don't even have to try and sell it; it sells itself. I know I say that a lot but I think it shows something when the average consumer can see a difference from a professional product.
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

good to know.

I have SPA blueberry faciel, and I wasn't overly impressed with the scent. it cleaned really well, but so do a lot of things. I didn't use it too much for the longest time, then I went to a seminar and was told that Blueberries help slow down the oxidization that causes tearing to stain, and that ucky teary odar.

So I tried it again, on my sister's schnauzer. I left it sitting while I washed the rest of the dog, and It didn't seem to do anything really fantastic... but when we got her outside after the groom was all finished, my sister commented on how much whiter her beard looked, and when I looked down, it looked WAY better... and the next day she said her face smelled much better too. She was worried it would smell like the smell you smell when you smell the bottle, but it actually just left a very clean scent, which lasted quite a while.

I have considered purchasing the South Bark Blueberry Faciel, thinking it would have a better scent, but if it doesn't smell any better, than i'll stick with the SPA stuff.

Comment

I think this is the only time I have ever read any negative reviews on the BB facials. I was going to order a gallon to try it myself, but if it smells anything like bubblegum I am glad that I didn't order it yet. I'll just stick w/LP puppy for faces. IMO it does a great job as a "facial".
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X