No announcement yet.

Curly Schnauzer how to straighten hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curly Schnauzer how to straighten hair?

I groom a mini schnauzer every 2 weeks and her skirt and legs are so curly..I mean, like she was permed curly. I have tried different nozzles on the dryer, I've brushed and combed while drying. Those curls just spring right back. I have taken down the hair on the legs with a 1 comb hoping less hair would not look as curly. lol
    Is there any kind of dog hair straightening products I should try? I am mobile so I don't have room for a standing dryer but I do have an arm to hold the dryer hose while I comb out...it's just not working. Any suggestions??

DesertDog,

I groom a mini-schnauzer just like the one you've described (I'm mobile too). I haven't figured it out yet either. I basically do the same thing as you... I use a #1 Wahl SS comb & sculpt along the legs, sides & chest area in order to tame the bushiness.

It will be interesting to see if someone else has a solution.

Comment

Ok. Glad I'm not the only one. lol. I have never had a dog with such curls in my 9 years of grooming. I'm ready to get out the flat iron. lol

Comment

I'd love to see this Shirley Temple of the Schnauzer world.

Do you have a "before" photo?

Comment

I don't have a picture of her..but I will take one when I groom her again in a few weeks..just groomed her Thursday and wish I would have thought to take one. Also, even though she is groomed every few weeks, her legs and skirt are almost always a little matted. I don't understand that one either. Her hair is so different.

Comment

I would towel and HV her enough so that she isn't dripping wet and then finish her off w/the stand dryer and stretch drying her. Have you tried any products like mousse or gel?

I have seen sch's w/monster coats like these, but most of them are matted messes when the come in and I get to straighten them out w/a 7 blade.....lol
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
              I would towel and HV her enough so that she isn't dripping wet and then finish her off w/the stand dryer and stretch drying her. Have you tried any products like mousse or gel?

I have seen sch's w/monster coats like these, but most of them are matted messes when the come in and I get to straighten them out w/a 7 blade.....lol
              I haven't tried anything but conditioner. She has really dry, flaky skin..the last 3 grooms, I have been bathing her in groomers edge medicated and am starting to see an improvement in her skin. I was using groomers edge hypo plus before that, but her skin was so dry. I thought about buying people hair straightening shampoo for her legs. lol
              She does mat really easy, but brushes out easy too. She has really thick hair. I always find it funny how in just 2 weeks, her hair is already clumping together.

Comment

Look at the hair on my head. You can't straighten curly. lol Heaven knows I've tried. When I was a kid I coated my hair with Dippity Do and rolled it around orange juice cans. Then slept on it. What a nightmare! All it took was one rain drop and boing, curled right back up. lol
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

What I do on those coats, besides using a no frizz human shampoo, conditioner and balm, (they DO NOT make a good one for dogs, but Frizz Ease is a great product I use quite often) is to use a dull coat king on the legs and skirt after grooming. That will encourage the new coat to come in harsher and straighter and removes the undercoat that causese the matting. This works great on all types of softer, thick coats. I also stretch dry from wet, no HV on that type of coat.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I will have to get some frizz ease and try that. I guess there aren't that many dogs with her type of hair or they would have come out with a dog product for them that works well.
                    Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Straightener! I have seen competitors use one in the ring. Might try that!
                      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

First of all you should not use conditioner on a schnz. It adds too much moisture and will curl it. Forget the fancy products, use a flat iron and straighten the fringes. Good luck, Joy

Comment

Working...
                        X