Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topical Flea and Tick Treatment - What are you using ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topical Flea and Tick Treatment - What are you using ?

It's flea season - what topical product are you recommending ? I thought I heard some horror stories about one of them and I can't remember which one it was? I've had a couple customers ask me..

Thanks for your help...

I don't like any of those topical F/T products. I have a tervuren who suffers with neuro condition that started as a puppy and a topical F/T product is the suspected cause. I mix an all-natural spary recommended by my holistic vet. Down side is it needs to be sprayed daily, but better than poisioning my dogs.
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Ive been recommending Vectra 3D

Comment

I no longer use spot on treatments, and I don't recommend them to my clients. I use Comfortis, and don't anticipate changing that any time soon.

Comment

I'm with Helly. I work at a vet hospital that recommends Frontline to everyone. I had a HORRIBLE flea outbreak in all my animals last summer. They were ALL on Frontline. It only worked on the cats. I was giving my poodle all natural flea baths every other day and her white fur would be stained bright red from all the flea dirt. We bombed our house three times with the stuff the vet gave us and even had an exterminator come out twice. I ended up having to give my dogs Capstar ever 24 hours. It was a nightmare! Finally, I switched the dogs to comfortis and all the fleas disappeared! I just don't think the topical treatments have been working very well the past couple of years.

Comment

I rotate between Advantix (I live in the country so tick protection is needed) and Comfortis. As with everything. both have advantages and disadvantages. We all have heard about the topical issues, but comfortis needs to be given with some food or it can make the dogs throw up. Also, it is not to be used in breeding bitches, since there is a study going on about comfortis and causing birth defects.

Comment

I use K9 Advantix for my dogs and Advantage for my cat. We too have ticks around here, but don't be fooled, most of the dogs that come in with ticks live in the city, granted there is grass and trees in this city but I find more on those dogs than here in the country. I've never had a problem with K9 Advantix & Adavantage, but there are many horror stories out there. The worst one I've heard too many stories about is Seargants.

Comment

I, too, recommend Comfortis.

My guess is that the spot on medication you heard horror stories about is Hartz. They are a cheapie brand that is carried in most corporations and even grocery stores. They are responsible for quite a bit of heartache.
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I am also a fan of comfortis for the dogs. We use Advantage on the cats. The Frontline just seemed to stop working. I'm guessing the fleas are building up some sort of immunity.

Comment

I also started using Comfortis this past summer with great results and started recomending it to my clients. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have a problem w/ticks this summer (didn't find any on my dogs at all and barely had any "tick dogs" for clients.....which is odd) as I don't think that Comfortis is effective for ticks.

At least one of the vets in my area stopped carrying Frontline because there were so many complaints about it not being effective. Thats what I used for years w/goods results till last summer. I wonder if the pests get immune to a products after a while or if the company changed it's formula.
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Nothing. The cats haven't had flea since they were kittens. My dog only get the natural defence spray when we go hiking. I mighthave to use something when we move to Ok. but for right now no pests.

Comment

Comfortis is great! Our clients and I haven't had any flea problems since switching.

What do y'all do about ticks if your dog is only on Comfortis, though?

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                          I don't like any of those topical F/T products. I have a tervuren who suffers with neuro condition that started as a puppy and a topical F/T product is the suspected cause. I mix an all-natural spary recommended by my holistic vet. Down side is it needs to be sprayed daily, but better than poisioning my dogs.
                          What makes you think you aren't poisoning your dogs? Because you're using an "all-natural" spray? All natural doesn't mean safe or non-toxic. And a lot of all natural insecticides contain toxins. Natural toxins, yes, but toxins just the same.

And the chances are good that your "holistic" vet is a naturopath, not holistic. Most people professing to be holistic vets don't even know what holistic means, or the dogma that holism is based on.

I got nothing against naturopah, but I wish they'd quit hijacking a term that doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means. Those of us who believe in holism take offense at having the term used just to sell products and services that have nothing to do with what we believe in.

Comment

i use comfortis when I need it. Frontline doesn't work at all on the east coast. My aunt ended up getting rid of all the carpet in the house and putting down hardwood (terrible I know) a lot of customers have issues. we sell the zodiac, works for some but not others.

Comment

I have heard of frontline and advantix not working in certain regions because pests build up an immunity. If your dog is on comfortis and you need tick prevention frontline makes a spray that you can spray on the dogs legs, belly, and neck before going out. It doesn't last as long as the monthly treatment but I have had owners say it works well. There is also a company that makes a tick collar, just like the flea collar but only prevents ticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X