Will this shampoo cocktail work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this shampoo cocktail work?

Sure would hate to have the dog's hair fall out or skin melt off.

I posted about this itchy-scratchy Shih I am watching for 10 days...on Oregongal's thread..but to recap. she's allergic to everything, on a controlled high quality diet, great owner, lots of vet Rx shampoos tried over the years, none worked for more than 12 hours.
    All the tests have been done, no sarcops, no thyroid, etc. Just one of those on-going miserable, frustrating situations.
    Doggie now gets Medrol 2Xweek. So that's the long story short.

Now...as our tree pollen is sky-high right now, when she came to me on Sat,she was in miserable condition. (Tis the season)

Owner was all out of vet shampoos...so I dug out a sample bottle of Show Season's "Soothe". Bathed her in that, cooler H2O, wrapped in warmish towel for 8 minutes, rinsed, then used the "Soothe" creme rinse, same drill.
    This dog has not itched since then.

Here's my dilemma...I only had that one tiny sample bottle of shampoo. (Yes...I jumped online this am and ordered a bigger one)
    I would like to re-bathe her again in a day or 2, and perhaps one more time before she goes home.
    Pretty exciting if this helps her.

THE "cocktail" question....
    I have a bottle of Chlorhexiderm SCRUB (for my hands...it's vet stuff), and it's 2%.
    Do you think it's ok to mix a shot of that in with some benign Hypo shampoo to get close to the same results?
    I doubt the stuff I ordered will be here before Thurs.-Fri. It's just SO nice to see this dog not ripping herself apart....
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
    THE "cocktail" question....
    I have a bottle of Chlorhexiderm SCRUB (for my hands...it's vet stuff), and it's 2%.
    Do you think it's ok to mix a shot of that in with some benign Hypo shampoo to get close to the same results?
    I doubt the stuff I ordered will be here before Thurs.-Fri. It's just SO nice to see this dog not ripping herself apart....
    If I were to use those two shampoos, I would wash with Chlorhexiderm scrub first and let sit for 2-3 minutes (lets the CHG penetrate into the skin). Then rinse and use the hypo to wash away any perfume, colour, fillers from the Chlorhexiderm. Since CHG actually gets into the skin (and stays there for about 6 hours), the hypo shampoo won't affect the anti-bacterial properties. Good luck!
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Crazy View Post
      If I were to use those two shampoos, I would wash with Chlorhexiderm scrub first and let sit for 2-3 minutes (lets the CHG penetrate into the skin). Then rinse and use the hypo to wash away any perfume, colour, fillers from the Chlorhexiderm.
      A MOST excellent suggestion. See...that's why I come here.... (so I can wonder in my own overflowing w/ minutiae mind.."why didn't I think of that"?) Thanks CC!

Comment

chlora

the only problem with chlorahexidine is that is drying!! you would be better to use a tea tree(malaluca) and aloe. i know from expierience! chlora is better for dandrafi/oily yuck; where as mallalucca is allergey. try and see. i have a dog allergy prone and a hollistic vet who said switch. also, you might want to try a tea bath. after shampoo, conditioner; breww 4 tea bags, cool, pour over the dog and let dry outsde. the tannens are very soothing!!!

Comment

CHlorhexi is not drying. It is very good for itchy skin that nothing else works on. It has been my experince that in some dogs the itching is caused by microbials and mites that are missed on every scraping known to man. Those are the ones that it is being said NOW to treat for mange even if you cant find it, cause one dogs normal mite level can cause ntense irritaiton in some dogs. Others can be over ridden with the mites and act like nothing is wrong.....As for Maleluca, it works SOMETIMES. SOMETIMES it doesnt. You cannot say that one shampoo will fix everything. Each dog is different and each situation requires a different treatment. I have seen allergies to THAT moreso than any other medicated shampoo out there. I have one dog, Sonny, a shihtzu that comes to my shop almost every day for daycare that itches REGARDLESS of what shampoo we use and I have used every shampoo in the world it seems from LP to IOD to SS to Stazko to Microtek and every medicated i can find, hypos, conditioning, clarifying, everything including RELIEF. Know what works????? Selsun Blue. Anything else and he will dig himself to death and be bleeding in places within an hour. It took me almost 6 months to try this but now he doesnt itch and smells great and is bright white...so it goes to show that no matter WHAT you use someone will have a reaction and you need to tailor your shampoos to each dog indvidually.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Pawson....I neglected to say that I've been following up w/ a "Soothe" rinse as well, and it contains aloe and lanolin, so I think that might be aiding as well.

I have had very few reactions to shampoos over the years...but for some reason the tea tree ones really set me off, so I can't use those.
            One of the worst reactions I had was when I got some fish medication on my wrist years back....sure enough, it had tea tree oil in it, go figure?

This seems to be working well for the time being, but with this dog....anything can change, so i appreciate the additional leads Parti.

I keep eyeing my bottle of Lym dip....lol! (Best to wait until the vet comes around I guess? I think they just like sucking money out of these people...or are so advanced that they sometimes overlook some of the simplest of stinkin treatment possibilities, but who am I???...)

Comment

Working...
            X