Field Spaniel, new breed for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Spaniel, new breed for me

I don't see that many unusual breeds, but today a lady had a couple dogs in to see the vet. One of them got away from her and came running to see me. I thought maybe it was an English Cocker Spaniel (never seen one before). She told me that they were Field Spaniels. They were REALLY cute. She says they are very smart and they don't submissive pee. They don't have as much hair as a American Cocker.

I think they might be more manageable to certify with. Anyone have any practical experience with them?
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

I DO! I have one! He is amazing, very easy going great hair to work with. I card and pluck mine. They tend to have sparse furnishings so make sure you have the pattern spot on, since that's going to be the main testing point I got a 91 on his practical. They really are a pleasure to work with!

Comment

The owner is really nice. I think she would let me use them. And she is keeping them in coat.
      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

sturdy little fellas

they have strong hunting instincts and yes carding and raking are the trick.

Comment

Cool, Keyray. I do think it would be a great dog to certify with, especially if the owner helps keep it in coat.

Funny thing, I stopped in at work the other day to pick up my check and my boss had one on her table and another one waiting to be done. I couldn't help myself, just had to jump in on he one on her table! I think I probably spent 45 minutes "playing" with it (er grooming for free . . . ) but the checks weren't in yet so I would have been standing around anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X