Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with fabric remnants after cutting bandannas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with fabric remnants after cutting bandannas?

I had a client late for an appt this morning so I decided to start cutting the loads of fabric I bought a few weeks ago. I always end up with a big strip of cloth at the end of the roll, too small to make a bandanna out of, but too big to just throw out. (Does that sound like a hoarder???!!) LOL!!

Just thought I'd ask other groomers here who buy fabric and cut bandannas if they do anything productive or creative with whats left. I've thought of sewing little bowties, but I gotta face it, I'll never get around to putting the work into that.

Any ideas that are fun and easy???? Or should I just purge myself of the scrap fabric like a good little hoarder.

Post edited because I like the way Particentral said it best.
    Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 03-30-10, 08:48 AM.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Buy in increments that make a square, so for 45 inch fabric its 1.25 yards, 2.5 yards, etc.....and I use any strips left over to make collar covers. 2 inch wide strip sewed together, turned right side out.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Years ago when I used bows. I would cut it into thin strips and make cute fabric bows.

I order my fabric in 1.25 yd lengths and end up with a small strip left over. I just cut a few narrow small puppy bandanas out of that leftover now.

You could always save bags of your leftovers for people who sew to use for pillow or dog toy stuffing.

Comment

Makes sense! and I like the collar cover idea. Thank you!

Comment

i use it to make rag ribbon bows, or bow ties or little bandanas for dog statues

Comment

I made a really cute skirt once by sewing long scraps like that together to make a new large piece. Maybe you could do that for bandannas? You could always take up quilting too.

Comment

I buy fabric in 1.5 yard sections and cut pieces off in (close to) squares...I think I get 3 "sorta squares" per piece. I just run my scissors from one corner to another making triangles and make them smaller and smaller until I have the sizes I want. That way, I don't have any leftovers.

Comment

Bows! I also will sometimes make a little bowtie for the boys. Doesn't take much trouble, no sewing involved!
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Make tooth brush rag rugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Briarpatch View Post
                      I buy fabric in 1.5 yard sections and cut pieces off in (close to) squares...I think I get 3 "sorta squares" per piece. I just run my scissors from one corner to another making triangles and make them smaller and smaller until I have the sizes I want. That way, I don't have any leftovers.
                      Well, if you buy 1.25 yards you will get 4 SQUARE pieces...with no leftovers. For 60 inch wide fabric you have to buy 60 inches, or 1 and 2/3 yards. PLUS it will save you a little bit of money not buying that extra .25 yard
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Oh lets see... i make ties for dogs, bow ties, collar covers and then for the cats i make cat nip pillows. then i take and make braided rags for the dogs to play tug with, and braded rugs for the cats to sleep on. Darn there is a couple of other things, but i just cant think of them. I have gotten good at cutting the bandanas, and i am running short on scraps....

Comment

I use mine to make corresponding neckties, bowties, (for the boys) and bows for the girls.
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I buy 1 yard and 7 inches. That generally gives me [B]exactly[/B] what I need without the leftover. I hated having to deal with that couple inches of fabric too.
                            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                            X