Good or bad way to pinch pennies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good or bad way to pinch pennies?

Ok, I'll admit I'm cheap. So, I thought I'd look for recipes for ear powder/body powder for handstripping. I've looked for ingredients that the pro's use but have come up with zilch-does anybody know what goes into these products, and if so, which are the active ingredients?

I've found one recipe for 'Thornit Powder that I was wondering your opinion on:

4 oz zinc oxide powder
    4 oz boric acid powder
    1/2 oz lodoform powder

Thanks for reading and for your input!!

I just use a little sprinkle of gold bond/and or ear powder. it's pretty cheap and some ingredients are the same as your recipe.
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

I think the ear powder has a bit of rosin in it. That's where you get the "grip" from, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I just use chalk for stripping and plucking ears. Ear powder can have a bad habit of clumping inside the ears, especially if you are putting it into the ear straight from the bottle and use too much. Chalk on the other hand you just take a small amount in your fingers.

Comment

I thought I replied to this yesterday but it went POOF! WHY when ear powder is so cheap to begin with would you want to make your own? I mean, a large bottle (and its not that big) of Bio-Groom Ear powder has lasted me several years, with three cockers with stripped backs and a scottie, two westies, 4 EFT and several mixed breeds all done monthly or more frequently in some cases. A tiny puff in the back and I have grip for days.

This is not a place you can save enough money to make it worth making it yourself.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as Debi, I have had my smaller bottle well over a year, I only use it for ears really. I bet I still have another years worth in there!
            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

lol I knew somebody was bound to say that. Well thx for the answer guys. I love advice and it's interesting to swap ideas. I didn't mention another reason for wanting to make my own was that I tried to call and find out the ingredients list and was instead sent an msds form. It claims to be totally non-toxic and yet there are warnings about it. I like natural products and I know they sometimes pack a bunch of useless and potentially harmful ingredients in everything, especially products for animals.

Also, I figured a small bottle would maybe last 6 months.

Comment

Boric acid is not natural, it is a poison of sorts, used in the Southern States to kill roaches, and it is toxic in large quantities, and also it is listed as a skin irritant.

Zinc Oxide,according to some,is toxic to dogs. DOnt know that I believe that, BUT....

If you want a truly all natural formula, use cornstarch but it will NOT give you good gripping power.

A small bottle lasted me two years last time I bought one.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                  Boric acid is not natural, it is a poison of sorts, used in the Southern States to kill roaches, and it is toxic in large quantities, and also it is listed as a skin irritant.

Zinc Oxide,according to some,is toxic to dogs. DOnt know that I believe that, BUT....

If you want a truly all natural formula, use cornstarch but it will NOT give you good gripping power.

A small bottle lasted me two years last time I bought one.
                  I was worried about the Zinc Oxide thing too,as I love Gold Bond for grooming powder. My vet said it is the type of Zinc in pennies that is toxic,she is pretty sure that Gold Bond is just fine.
                  "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                  Quote:Cath

Comment

I bought some rubber finger and grippy cover things. I found them at my local stationary/business supply store. they work great, and unless the dog is really greasy, I don't need powder at all.

Comment

wow, I didn't know those were poisonous! Thank you for setting me straight on that one. Yeah, I've seen those rubber finger things you're talking about, they look like mini condoms Maybe I'll try that, and use chalk. I'm using gold bond for now & I'll be careful to only use it in small quantities. I've taped up most of the holes on the top so only a small bit can come out anyway. Thanks alot for the tips you guys and keep em coming if anyone thinks of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by my.cats.name.is.psycho View Post
                        I'm using gold bond for now & I'll be careful to only use it in small quantities. I've taped up most of the holes on the top so only a small bit can come out anyway.
                        Go to WalMart and get one of those plastic dispenser bottles they have for mustard or ketchup, the kind with the little spout and plastic cap on top. Pour your Gold Bond in that.
                        Last edited by PuppyFluffer; 04-02-10, 06:18 PM.
                        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by my.cats.name.is.psycho View Post
                          wow, I didn't know those were poisonous! Thank you for setting me straight on that one. Yeah, I've seen those rubber finger things you're talking about, they look like mini condoms Maybe I'll try that, and use chalk. I'm using gold bond for now & I'll be careful to only use it in small quantities. I've taped up most of the holes on the top so only a small bit can come out anyway. Thanks alot for the tips you guys and keep em coming if anyone thinks of anything.
                          Chalk (talcum) is abrasive enough to wear out a rubber glove fairly quickly so, I would use the thick finger grips.

Is boric acid the same as 20 mule team borax?
                          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                          X