silver nitrate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver nitrate question

i bought some silver nitrate sticks thinking they would work better than the messy styptic ****. Well, i must be using them wrong b/c they don't seem to be doing the trick. how am i supposed to be using these. their were no directions. i just thought you held the end of the stick onto the bleeding nail. does anyone use these and do you think they work better than styptic powder and gel?

silver nitrate sticks

thats all I use at the clinic where I work. You put the tip of the stick right inside the nail and hold it there for a little while. Be careful not to get the nitrate on your skin it will leave brown spots I'm usually not that careful because I come home with brown spots all over my hands. I do like them though. The dogs may yelp because it does sting when you first put it on. I also use them if I nick an ear.

Comment

Helly made a post in a previous thread about styptic powder and I have been using this technique since...I wet the end of a Qtip in water, stick it in the powder, and then apply to the bleeding nail. Works great! Why don't they put instructions on these things???

Comment

I believe you have to moisten the tip then apply.. never tried it on a quicked nail. have used on slight nicks, seemed to work fine.

Comment

the directions say to moisten the tip with water before applying this will activate the solution. many of us use the blood as the activator but the directions call for a drop of water.. try that..I use the sticks as a last resort or if I run out of quick stop.. they can be somewhat pricey.

Comment

You can wet the tip if you want to but you dont have to. Wetting will dilute the chemical slightly. They wont work if there is blood pouring out, you need to wait until it slows down a bit so apply pressure first then use. Keep it on the quick for a few seconds so it has time to work and keep applying it until there is no more bleeding. You can multi use them on the same dog but not for multiple dogs. You also MUST keep them away from light or they wont be any good, keep them in black plastic and keep it closed properly. If you touch one to your skin you will get a brown stain that has to wear off, you cant wash it off, it only takes a day or two.

Comment

To stop the brown spots, rinse your hands or whatever area got the stick on it with salty water. that kils the reaction of the SN with the sun or heat and the brown spots never happen. Learned that from a vet who used it doing tails. It also works when you are using it on dogs. I rinse the affected area in the saline water after using it and th ahir never turns brown, which is important because you KNOW you never cut a brown or black dog, only white ones! The reaction of the SN and either heat or sunlight is what causes the stains. It will not be evident until the dog goes home. You can also transfer it from your hands to another dog (I did that once on a white poodles face no less! I always try to wear gloves when using the SN.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Does anyone know if these things have an expiration date, or quit working after a period of time?

I had a tube of them left over from dew claws on a litter i had and I keep them in the shop. I quicked a rear dew claw on a Rott mix and it bled and bled like a stuck pig. This dog stood in the tub for 15 minutes and i could not get the bleeding to stop despite packing it with styptic powder over and over. I finally ended up using about 8 nitrate sticks and those didnt seem to work either - normally they seal stuff right up instantly. What a mess.

I am wondering if the sticks were to old (about 2 years) or this dog had vWD or some bleeding disorder. Either that or maybe the large amount of blood was interferring with allowing the stick to work properly?

(yes I do wet the tip before use)

Comment

if they do expire the packaging should have an expiration date on them depending where they were purchased I suppose I buy my direct from the vet .. they have to be kept in a cool dark place.

Comment

I can personally attest to the fact that it does indeed sting. I had a little cut on myself, thought why not? A few choice expletives later....Just shows how stoic most dogs are.

Comment

They do expire and the quit working if exposed to light or excessive heat. And YES they sting like the dickens! Couldn't pay me to use one on myself
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X