Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color...

Good afternoon to all,

I am wondering about color, I see all these cool looking dogs with their ears done, or tails, how do you go about doing this, what products are best and is it a difficult process?

I have a lot of teens with dogs around here, and I was thinking after seeing some of the pics on here that it would be cool to do one of my dogs, and see if I could get some teen business by adding color. I've never seen it done on the island where I live, so it may be worth a shot. Teens have more disposable income than most adults now, and they like new trends...
    My Mannyman would look awesome with a mohawk, it would suit his personality, and I'm kinda strange, so it would suit me as well LOL! Tika, my Lhasa, would look great with some pink and purple through her tail and maybe her ears....

Can someone tell me more about this process and the products used?
    Thanks
    Lisa
    AKA Gluergirl / Little_Critters on e-groomer

I use either Manic Panic or Beyond the Zone for coloring Emily. You can get either product at Sally Beauty Supply or you can order Manic Panic online. Depending on how often you bathe your dogs the color will last from 6 to 8 weeks. If you want temporary color you can use blowpens.
    Use conditioner to prevent the color from setting on areas you DON'T want it. Emily's bracelets are always in color.
    Most of my clients know to expect Emily in color and it is a way to get your name out there for doing something different.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Thank you for your reply, and I will look into those brands. Are they fairly easy to use and how long do you let them set, before rinsing out? I have never known anyone who does this so it is nice to find someone who does it often.
      I thought it would be a good way to hit a different market, by offering a service that I haven't seen here before, and I think it's fun looking.
      I have wanted to do my own dogs, so I will work on them first, then I think I will drive into town and hit the boardwalk for all to see! I am sure on a little island like this, it is bound to start up some conversation LOL!
      Thanks again,
      Lisa
      AKA Gluergirl / Little_Critters on egroomer

Comment

I don't like Beyond the Zone at all. I've tried it on my dog and my own hair and it was a waste of money. Manic Panic is good, but it can last a really long time. I did my own dog w/ sidewalk chalk last night and it looks cute. It lasts a few days and washes out easily. You soak the chalk in warm water, color the hair, like a marker, and the brush and dry the hair.

Comment

Hey Lisa, I just did Olives tail purple last week. Used Manic Panic in Ultra Violet. Let it sit for 30 minutes, combed through with a find tooth comb to get to the roots and wrapped her tail up in a plastic bag. There are a bunch of posts on here about the procedure part of colouring(at least I think I remember reading them b/c I don't know how else I know this information) that were really helpful. I also did a purple heart with a stencil on her side last Halloween. I just got my first colour client today so I have to do a special order. Gonna get red, pink, blue/turquoise and another jar of purple. Pet Supply house has the manic panic dyes.

Comment

I like chalk (pink ears in my avatar is done with chalks) for temporary color and Dawn Omboy's color line "Queen of Color". These are nice intense colors and pretty true, easy to apply and last well. The Avatar dyes are very intense and last FOREVERRRRRRRRRRR, so if you don't want it to last that long, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on shaving your dog down to remove the color later on. I used it on my s'poo's ears once a long time ago and it took a long time to grow it all out because I wasn't going to shave them off!

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
              I like chalk (pink ears in my avatar is done with chalks)

Nea Nea, does this get over everything if it gets wet at all? Just curious if it would make a mess in my clients homes.

Comment

Elizabeth, not really.

There's not that much pigment left on the coat after you've applied it, brushed it in and dried it. It really gives a nice POOF to the coat as well. It stays on pretty darn well and I've not noticed any rub off or fading, like with blopens or the spray on colors, but it does wash out clean and easy.

Comment

Bailey slept in my bed, on top of my brand new comforter after I colored him w/ chalk. Nothing rubbed off.

Comment

I can hardly wait to try this, maybe the chalk first to see how it looks and change it up every few weeks, then go for it and get some Manic Panic and get to work! Something exciting and fun...I like it!

Thanks for ideas, and way to go Elizabeth, I would love to see some pics of Olive's tail if you have any!

I'll go through the old posts and take a look for the procedures of applying color.
                    You all Rock!

Lisa
                    AKA Gluergirl / Little_Critters on e-groomer

Comment

Elizabeth, if you ever get down to Halifax, there is a new Sally's in the new business park outside Sackville. I wonder if they carry any of the colors?

Comment

Hey Lisa, I have one on facebook in my mobile pictures and there's also one on my eGroomer page! I really wanna try the chalk now, thanks NeaNea and Maltese Mama. =)

Comment

Something else to mention, make sure it is legal where you are. I don't know about Canada, but here in the US it varies from state to state. Unfortunately it isn't legal my state.

W/it not being legal here, I haven't attempted the more permanant colorings. I have used Crayola Paint Pens and decorated w/stencils and designs. It's not as dramatic as the picts I have seen using Manic Panic type color, but it was cute and it did wash out easily even though the paint pens claim they are permanant.....lol.....I guess the makers didn't test on dog hair.

Have fun "playing" and post picts of your creations!
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by Addiron View Post
                            Elizabeth, if you ever get down to Halifax, there is a new Sally's in the new business park outside Sackville. I wonder if they carry any of the colors?
                            Next time I`m in the city I`ll definitely check that out, thanks!

Comment

It also depends on your dogs coat. Anything works well on one of my poodles, but manic panic was a waste of money on my Silas. I used "special effects raw" on him, available at Hot Topic stores. You can find it up to $5.00 cheaper/bottle online. But it's also nice to use something that is specifically labels for use on pets in the case of clients. Pet edge has their own brand, Queen of color, PetEsthe.... especially because if you are doing a clients dog, you aren't going to spot test it, then redo it. i spot test all human products on my dog before I fully apply them. Can you imagine IF the client dog had a reaction to a human coloring product? I guess iv'e just become more protective of the art of creative grooming lately. But I can just see something stupid getting it banned in more states, and I don't want that.

Comment

Working...
                              X