Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Comfortis Reaction??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possible Comfortis Reaction??

    since this stuff has come out, every one has been just raving about it. i mean it really works. but i'm starting to wonder...

    i have this older cocker all of a sudden break out with these raised, scabby lumps, primarily around his neck and back. his vet said its cocker warts, but warts don't disappear and come back. his started about 2 or 3 months ago.

    then today, i had one of my regulars telling me about her 2 schns' skin, and how they have all of a sudden broken out(they are older and have never had schnauzer bumps). i told the lady i'd look at it for her. again, raised, scabby lumps. i have never known schn bumps to bleed, just be weird, flaky and rough to the touch. the bumps were so bad, the lady skipped her last appointment because they were so scabbed up and she knew i wouldn't be able to get their backs smooth with out running them over. theirs started in november.

    the connection? it's about the same time they started taking comfortis.

    is any one else seeing anything like this?

    i've done all the online research i can, and i've found nothing but the usual vomiting and blah blah blah don't give with high does of ivermectin. i know that this stuff is still so new that no one really knows for sure what can happen. i guess for now my research will have to be by personal experiences of others.

  • #2
    Sounds like -

    It sounds like these dogs could be having an immune system reaction, but other factors could be involved.

    For instance, did they also get shots recently? And are they on heartworm meds, too? Sometimes one extra thing is just too much for the system of certain dogs.

    Comment


    • #3
      I went to the comfortis website and there are some very scarey side effects......I wont use it

      Comment


      • #4
        11 year old Bichon may have warts due to Comfortis

        Our Bichon Frise has developed some small and medium sized pink warts; I think since he started on Comfortis about 9 months ago. Does anyone know if warts are common on older bichons? He did not react to topicals or CapStar.

        Comment


        • #5
          I do a Bichon that is about 11-12, she has warts all over. She is not on comfortis.
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

          Comment


          • #6
            I've looked online about how exactly comfortis works, and have not been able to find specifics... it must make the dog's blood toxic to the fleas, but how? Why is it toxic to the fleas? Or am I on the wrong track? Anyone know?

            Comment


            • #7
              I do two that are 11-12 and they both have warts.they are on advantage.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kdickerson View Post
                I've looked online about how exactly comfortis works, and have not been able to find specifics... it must make the dog's blood toxic to the fleas, but how? Why is it toxic to the fleas? Or am I on the wrong track? Anyone know?
                It doesn't have to do with the blood. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the fleas don't have to bite them to die. The fleas start having a reaction as soon as they land on the dog, and die within about 5 min. Thats what I can remember when a rep came to an animal clinic I used to work at.

                Comment


                • #9
                  See post below.
                  Last edited by cnjordan; 03-31-10, 11:43 AM. Reason: Provided more info and sources in subsequent post.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How Comfortis works

                    Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
                    It doesn't have to do with the blood. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the fleas don't have to bite them to die. The fleas start having a reaction as soon as they land on the dog, and die within about 5 min. Thats what I can remember when a rep came to an animal clinic I used to work at.
                    Actually, this is incorrect. Comfortis circulates through the dog's bloodstream, and it is only effective against fleas after they have taken a blood meal. Comfortis acts on the flea nervous system, causing paralysis and death. A recent study showed that there is no effect from fleas just coming into contact with the dog's skin. They have to bite.

                    Comforits info site: http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/comfor...-it-works.aspx

                    Research paper about effects of Comfortis on dogs:
                    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6b67bdb33f88b5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cnjordan View Post
                      Actually, this is incorrect. Comfortis circulates through the dog's bloodstream, and it is only effective against fleas after they have taken a blood meal. Comfortis acts on the flea nervous system, causing paralysis and death. A recent study showed that there is no effect from fleas just coming into contact with the dog's skin. They have to bite.

                      Ha, it is possible that I got comfortis mixed up with another flea product. We had so many reps come through the animal hosp. I'm sure I just got mixed up.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X