Styptic Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styptic Products

Hi guys and Merry Christmas to everyone. I was wondering what everyone uses for styptic products. I really hate how messy the powder is and would like to try something else. Has anyone tried the gels or pads? What about liquid bandage? And I have never tried it but it seems like the silver nitrate sticks would be painful? Thanks

Silver nitrate sticks are not only painful, they are expensive. I prefer Bio-Groom styptic powder over the kind sold in pet supply catalogs hands down.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I use the Styptic Gel from R7- I love it and will never go back to powder. Clots WAY faster, wipes off of the surrounding hair faster, less mess and minimal drips- no spills yet, and no inhaling sour and awful dust. Will make an awful mess of your clothes if you wipe it on yourself by accident, though- but it washes out.
      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Dr. Gold's

I purchased one of these at Intergroom a couple of years ago and it is the BEST! It comes in a syringe, so you get very accurate dispensing. It is a thick gel, no mess - ever. And it worked first time, every time. I loved it - and now I can't find any company that will ship to Canada

Here is a link, I'm not recommending the store/website (don't know them at all), just the product.

http://theperchstore.net/drgosucl0.html
        Last edited by flyingfur; 12-25-09, 02:41 PM. Reason: forgot link

Comment

That's my problem too.....No one will ship any of those products to Canada and Ren's doesn't sell anything but the powder. I would really like to try a gel. Does anyone use the silver nitrate or keep it on hand in case of emergency?

Comment

My coworker got me "aluminum something" styptic stick from walmart. It is white and has a pointed tip. When needed I wet the tip and push it into the nail, pushing quick in and hold it for 30 sec. It stops bleeding right away without mess and what is good about it is that you can push the quick inside the nail shell and it doesn't reopen when dog goes home. I always tell my clients if I quicked a nail and with this stuff it doesn't freak them out because there is no mess.

Comment

That's all I use is silver nitrate sticks, I worked as a vet tech before grooming so got used to them, are painful sometimes but stops bleeding immediately, will stain clothes/fingers but works great. Couldn't find them for a while so got the gel and liked it much better than the powder. I did find silver nitrate sticks on ebay for not too bad of a price, still more expensive than powder/gel but works so darn fast it is worth it to me.

Comment

Maritime Pet Supplies in moncton, nb has Dr Golds. I'm away for 2 weeks but when I get back I'll get the info if you can't find it.

Comment

The majority of the time I use nothing, just let it bleed till it stops on its own then clean with peroxide if needed. If it is a very stubborn bleeder I use silver nitrate sticks. One pack lasts me all year so I dont find them expensive. Some dogs think they are painful, others dont seem to notice.

Comment

I like the silver nitrate sticks. They dont seem to hurt any more than applying pressure with the powder, and the only time I tried the jel I hated it. I do use the powder but it makes such a mess, so I would rather use the sticks. I get them from the vet.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth View Post
                      Maritime Pet Supplies in moncton, nb has Dr Golds. I'm away for 2 weeks but when I get back I'll get the info if you can't find it.
                      Thanks!!!! They don't have a web site, but I'll try to email them.

Comment

Hate to break it to ya, but Silver Nitrate BURNS like the dickens. Try it on a cut on YOU then decide. I only use it when I have to. I keep a cauterizer pen also. I use it when styptic doen;t work. The singe only burns for a second, nitrate burns and burns.

To use Styptic powders without making a mess, use a qtip slightly wet to dip into the powder then apply to the nail. It stops the bleeding faster than using it dry, makes it go further cause it uses less powder, makes less mess because the powder is only applied to the nail itself in a small amount. I also use my fingertip, licked, to apply if I forget to put a qtip on the table.
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I have tried the gels, but they made a huge mess. An easy way to apply powder is to use a plastic bottle cap from a soda. Simply pack some styptic in it and press it to the dogs toe.....easy peasy!

I would only use a nitrate stick as a last option for a stubborn bleeder.

I now usually trim nails when the dog is in the tub. For some reason they typically struggle less and if I quick a nail I can run cold water over it. Cold water usually stops the bleeding and there is no need to mess w/styptics.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

So, do both the silver nitrate and the cauterizer burn the end of the nerve?

Comment

I keep the R-7 gel and powder on hand ,I also have the silver nitrate sticks just in case.which one I use depends on each situation although I have to admit I've used the nitrate sticks on myself more than the dogs but I do use the powder most of all.

Comment

Working...
                              X