Greasy coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasy coat

I have a shih tzu mix that I groom all of the time and he has the greasiest coat on a dog that I've ever seen. Even after a bath, his hair lays limp. Anything that I can do to make this dog's hair look not look so limp and lifeless? I've been using Espree shampoo and Conditioner but it still doesn't do the trick.

(I sound like my wife talking to a Sally's cashier)
    Last edited by Jedd; 11-25-09, 04:09 PM.

Try this site. Alpha white is excellent and if that doesn't work use grimenator next time Be sure to follow up with a good, gentle conditioner every time.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I use Oat Milk Float!!! IT's AWESOME!!! Just add a bit to your shampoo

Comment

I have a St.P. that also has a greasey coat, we tried many different thing on him but never had great results until this past week, we used the Griminator shampoo...WOW what a difference! You might try this on your shih tzu.

sittingpretty

Comment

Grimeinator is great, but when that won't do, I have had amazing luck with using Bark 2 Basics Citrus Shampoo full strength. For greasy dogs, I think using a conditioner is a great idea to prevent the skin from continuing to overproduce oil. I like to use a light mist of Quadruped's 'All in One Dematting, Detangling Leave-In Conditioner' (loooong title) or another very LIGHT rinse conditioner. I have also heard, but not tried, of using cornstarch on the dirty hair: work in a generous amount, let it sit a little while, brush it through and then shampoo and condition as usual. The idea is that the cornstarch will absorb the oil before you ever bathe. The Lavenderm that I am currently using seems to do a nice job of degreasing as well, at a 10:1 ratio dilution...so many options : )

Comment

I believe you will get better results in whatever shampoo you decide to use if you put the shampoo on a dry coat. I think it makes a big difference. I think Parti gave that tip before. I also have used Grimeinator and like it,too.
            ~*~Robin~*~
            "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

espree tar and sulfur usualy works for me, baking soda mixed in helps,soap up the pup and then work the baking soda in, sea salt is also good. also ask what they feed, a better diet can do wonders.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Grimeinator 'tis. Thanks.

Comment

I do an Airedale with thyroid issues and her coat would feel like it was coated with baby oil even after two baths with degreaser. I started using Davis Tea Tree Melaleuca shampoo on her at each appt and it took care of the grease issues. The antibacterial properties of the shampoo work great when used over time.

Comment

Working...
                  X