Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natures Specialty products - anyone have complaints with causing hives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natures Specialty products - anyone have complaints with causing hives?

Groomed a clients shepherd on March 28th . I had recently decided to try out a new brand of shampoo & conditioner as I had read some good things on here about Natures Specialty products. I used the EZ Out® Deshedding Shampoo and EZ Shed® DeShedding Conditioner. I made sure to thoroughly rinse all of the product out of the coat.
    Client was happy when I brought the dog back in.
    fast forward to just now, a full week after the groom. I get a text message from the client asking what kind of shampoo is used cause apparently the dog broke out in a horrible bright red rash/hives. I asked them when they first noticed the rash. She said right after the groom. I have yet to respond back again to that last text . I’m not sure how to respond. I know there’s a right way and there’s a wrong way. Everything in my gut tells me to ask why they didn’t thing to contact me sooner if they noticed it immediately after the grooming. I know if i was the client and a horrible rash that looks like this appeared on my dog right after the grooming i would have made contact with the groomer much sooner. I have included the photos they sent me.
    has anyone else had this kind of reaction to this products or any of Natures Specialty’s products? Also any advise on how to go about responding to this client would be very much appreciated. I’ve never had a client complain about reactions to products I used to groom their pet with. Then again, this is the first time I’ve purchased this brand. There are several other clients dogs who I’ve used groomed this past week using the same shampoo and conditioner with no other issues . I’ve even checked in with them to confirm no other problems.

I forgot to post the photos of the dog and rash that the client sent me today. Here they are. What do you all think?

Comment

Too bad they didn't call sooner. It looks like the dog pulled out his hair-an easy place to get to on his hip. Is it possible this dog has a bad hip and the grooming process aggravated it? It could be the shampoos, too. When I've had a client pet react to a shampoo, I offer to re-bathe it for them. Some dogs do re-act even when all others are fine with the product. Think peanut allergy. My best guess here, tho, is that it's something else and not the shampoo.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

First I don't use the brand, it is popular and I haven't heard of this happening with their product. Second is what other causes, it sure was rather large so quick. I am somewhat puzzled.

Comment

I do use NS plum and whitening shampoo...have for many years. I have never had an issue. I would think if this was caused by shampoo, it would be all over his body (or at least more than this one place). Could you have accidentally brush burned in this area? Just throwing that out there, NOT saying you did. Client should have contacted you when this was first noticed, but since it has only been a week I would offer to shampoo dog again with a different shampoo.
          I really agree with Karla, dont think shampoo had anything to do with it, but he sure pulled out a bald area for some reason...painful hip, ect.
          I would NOT offer a refund if they pass on a redo bath
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Agree with Cyn. Also wanted to say this is why I stick with one product. People will claim all kinds of things and when I say I've used the same shampoo and conditioner forever they can't really come back on that.

Comment

Oh heck no. That took some major knawing on the dog’s part. They needed to contact you sooner. Doubtful that’s from the Shampoo. Far too extreme.

Comment

Now how to address this with them is the question. I’m fortunate to have a vet I can rely upon for these things. I would have offered to do a hypotonic shampoo bath and super rinse it and get a vet’s opinion.
                Last edited by Kurt99; 04-05-21, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Could you have possibly overdone it with the furminator???

Comment

Didn’t use a furminator. And I’m very careful when I’m brushing to not brush burn the pup. I did ask why she hadn’t contacted me sooner i could have rebathed the dog with hypo allergenic maybe she wouldn’t have chewed her self up and she said because she was out of town for the past week. Dog stayed at home.. so now I’m wondering how she even knows for sure it was caused by grooming if she wasn’t even home to see when it started.
                    And dog does have another small raw spot on the upper tail. I offered to rebath the dog with hypo allergenic shampoo waiting to hear back from her.
                    i contacted natures specialty and they responded that they’ve had no other complaints and the product is their best seller. I do believe them since I’ve heard nothing but good things about their products.

Comment

Being so localized to one side and the tail would lead me to believe it’s something else entirely. Not you and definitely not the shampoo causing that. Natural Groomer shampoo will irritate the skin if you don’t rinse it super well, but then again you’d see it all over the dog not just one area like for the GSD.

Comment

Owner was out of town? I'm thinking a bad case of separation anxiety. Dog pulls out hair. Shepherds do seem to react over the top sometimes.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Agree, most likely not the shampoo. May be the anxiety. Should go to the vet.

Comment

Not sure where my mind is necessarily going with this, but does the dog have hip dysplasia issues?

Comment

I haven't heard of a GSD not having hip dysplasia

Comment

Working...
                              X