Wetting dog and apply concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetting dog and apply concentrate

I have a friend who is new to grooming and starting as a bather. Her instruction was to wet the dog well and then apply directly concentrate. They don't mix up bottles of diluted shampoo.

Anyone do that?

That's a new one. Might be a problem with some ultra concentrate shampoos. I will do that sometimes with thick vet prescribed shampoos (note to vet shampoo makers-your product is not groomer friendly) to help spread the shampoo. I'm assuming that she applies the concentrate and dilutes it in with the water sprayer.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

The woman who trained me taught me to do that. However, after being on this board I have learned better.....

Comment

I think you use less shampoo and it takes less time. Some groomers apply diluted shampoo on a dry dog, and again I find you use more product. A pre-dampened dog then diluted shampoo to me works best, and rinses faster and I don't think it is any less clean. In fact look at 2nd shampoos for the really dirty ones. Already wet and rinse easily.

Comment

That sounds like a "retail" or home consumer way to do it. that can be hard to spread. it will totally depend on the brand & breed though. like small flat coated dogs i totally use full strength on yuppy puppy brush, and i will use Melanie Newman, not a strong chemical 50-1 type.
          how you bath also plays a role. Im premixing and applying on DRY dog so as to get the most effective cut on grease, so i might mix a little stronger apply to dirtiest areas(feet/belly/bum) and recirc through, then add touch more water as i recirc, that solves the problem of being hard to get into thick coated dogs. and i will grab a little concentrate for my brush to scrub toes etc,

Comment

That just doesn't make sense. I think it would take longer, use more product than needed and maybe not rinse as well.

Comment

I usually will do a pre-wash with a hypo and our bathing system before doing any of the vet shampoos. It spreads a lot better, and I feel it gives the medicine a better chance of working if the grunge is taken down first. The only one I would do straight on a dry dog is a flea shampoo, and those always seem to take an absurd amount of product

Comment

Yep I agree I don't see any benefit going direct, it will likely take longer and use more.

Comment

Remember a few years ago, Parti told us about a method she used at home with a ladies bath puff....I do use this idea.....wet the dog, use a little shampoo on a wet puff, then lightly spread all over the animal. It works like a dream. I have a recirc. system for big hairys, but for my little guys I use this method. It saves time and water.

Comment

I have used a natural sponge to spread diluted shampoo and it worked fine. But I would never use concentrate that way, I am sure it is faster to use the puff or sponge with diluted IMHO.

Comment

I do that sometimes on tiny dogs when I don't habe any shampoo mixed. One squirt or dollop in my hand is more than enough to bath a little yorkie or shih tzu. Doinf it this way I don't need to worry about mixing that will go bad if I don't use it all up by the end of the day.
                      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I’m with Naturally Furry. Mostly wet and then use diluted though. Main exception is white dogs that are truly filthy, especially the feet and tush. I’ll use a small amount of undiluted product on those areas and let it really work in while I do the rest of the dog. It seems to work well enough that my clients are almost always amazed at how white their dogs look.

Comment

So I posed the suggestion to a groomer friend would you ever wet a dog and apply concentrate shampoo? It didn't take 2 seconds for a reply. "Are you crazy!!!???"

Comment

I do a combination of all of the above depending on dogs coat and condition.

To answer the OP I wet and use undiluted degreasing shampoo on all my yorkies. I wash them twice. Otherwise they just aren’t clean enough and I end up re-washing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X