Curved thinning shears/Chunkers do anyone use them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved thinning shears/Chunkers do anyone use them

I am considering purchasing a pair of curved thinning shears. Does anyone use them? If so what do you think?

Thank you for the feed back.

Absolutely wouldn't be without them. Just watched the Groom Expo West live show a couple weeks ago and saw plenty of them in competitions.

Comment

Where are you going to get them from? I'm curious to try them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
        Where are you going to get them from? I'm curious to try them myself.
        Northern Tails has curved chunkers
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

precisionsharp.com has them

Comment

Is it on s special area if his website ? I looked at was his section for chokers and there aren't any curves shown. I would preferred to get things from Jeff if possible

Comment

Is it on s special area if his website ? I looked at was his section for chokers and there aren't any curves shown. I would preferred to get things from Jeff if possible
              Don't know if I have seen them on his site, read somewhere (here probably) he carried them so I spoke with Jeff about them. I wound up not ordering them at the time, so call Jeff and see if he is still carrying them. I hope so because I still want a pair of them, just needed to replace other things at the time and never got around to ordering them.
              Humm.....just looked at NT site. .....it said Jeff dosent sharpen chunkers curves due to something I didn't retain in my brain, lol, so maybe he dosent carry them anymore....but call or email him and see for sure.
              Last edited by Cyn; 03-03-17, 07:11 PM. Reason: Added more

Comment

Yeah, I heard sharpeners don't want to touch them.

Comment

That's why I originally held off was because the sharpeners didn't want to touch them. Something about the curve and angle of the teeth breaking / misaligning. Would love to hear from someone who actually uses them.

Comment

That's why I originally held off was because the sharpeners didn't want to touch them. Something about the curve and angle of the teeth breaking / misaligning. Would love to hear from someone who actually uses them.
                    If I were you, I would speak with Jeff about them. They are still far down my list of purchases....especially since I just ordered a new hydraulic table.

Comment

Curved Chunkers and Thinners have been a rave in the past two years. I myself have used both, and can't really tell the difference in the cut. They cost more and olnly two companies I know of sell them

Precision Sharp (Randy Lowe)
                      Affordable Grooming Shears (Stephen Toth)

Thats it!

The reason I stopped selling them and sharpening them was because of the problems associated with fixing these shears when they get bent. When regular shears get bent, there are two solid blades you can bend to get them back in shape. Not so with chunkers and thinners. These shears have only one blade you can bend back into shape without breaking them. The blade with the teeth are not solid and have only a thin strip of metal along the top. You bend these too much and the blade snaps.

I found out how difficult they were to fix on my own pair. I groomed with them maybe a month, and they fell off my table when I pulled on my clipper, the cord pushed it over the side. They were bent, wouldnt open and close unless the teeth snagged the cutting blade. I worked with those shears over 45 minutes and gave up, wasnt worth it. I immediately took my curved chunkers off my sales website, I didnt want to sell them with the fear of getting them in to sharpen and fix. Many sharpeners out there have told folks they can sharpen any shear, when they got the curved chunker in and worked with it a while, they swore never to mess with them again. My philosophy is, if you sell them, you better fix them. I know those I mentioned above sell them, but I dont now how well they fix them if they were dropped and bent. Better ask when you purchase a pair.

My website has many good quality shears with my name on them. Tested and approved by myself working in my own shop. MAny shear salesmen have never used a shear on humans or animals, but they can tell you all about what their customers think about them. Im different, Ill tell how they worked when I groomed with them. My site doesnt have tons of shears on it but they are worth purchasing and they are at my cost, no mark up.

-------------------------------------------
                      Jeff Andrews
                      Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
                      Mobile, Alabama
                      251-232-5353
                      www.northerntails.com
                      www.ntforsale.com
                      [email protected]
                      "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

Comment

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
                        Curved Chunkers and Thinners have been a rave in the past two years. I myself have used both, and can't really tell the difference in the cut. They cost more and olnly two companies I know of sell them

Precision Sharp (Randy Lowe)
                        Affordable Grooming Shears (Stephen Toth)

Thats it!

The reason I stopped selling them and sharpening them was because of the problems associated with fixing these shears when they get bent. When regular shears get bent, there are two solid blades you can bend to get them back in shape. Not so with chunkers and thinners. These shears have only one blade you can bend back into shape without breaking them. The blade with the teeth are not solid and have only a thin strip of metal along the top. You bend these too much and the blade snaps.

I found out how difficult they were to fix on my own pair. I groomed with them maybe a month, and they fell off my table when I pulled on my clipper, the cord pushed it over the side. They were bent, wouldnt open and close unless the teeth snagged the cutting blade. I worked with those shears over 45 minutes and gave up, wasnt worth it. I immediately took my curved chunkers off my sales website, I didnt want to sell them with the fear of getting them in to sharpen and fix. Many sharpeners out there have told folks they can sharpen any shear, when they got the curved chunker in and worked with it a while, they swore never to mess with them again. My philosophy is, if you sell them, you better fix them. I know those I mentioned above sell them, but I dont now how well they fix them if they were dropped and bent. Better ask when you purchase a pair.

My website has many good quality shears with my name on them. Tested and approved by myself working in my own shop. MAny shear salesmen have never used a shear on humans or animals, but they can tell you all about what their customers think about them. Im different, Ill tell how they worked when I groomed with them. My site doesnt have tons of shears on it but they are worth purchasing and they are at my cost, no mark up.

Jeff Andrews
                        Mobile, Alabama
                        251-232-5353
                        www.northerntails.com
                        www.ntforsale.com
                        [email protected]
                        And this is why we trust and love you Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post

Jeff Andrews
                          Mobile, Alabama
                          251-232-5353
                          www.northerntails.com
                          www.ntforsale.com
                          [email protected]
                          Wow, that's good to know. That's a pretty major downside.

Comment

Yup, and folks dont look ahead when they buy them. Most times the person selling them has no idea what they are selling anyway. I have had headaches with my own curved chunkers and vowed to never sharpen them, and I dont because most are bent.
                            I even listed on my website that I dont sharpen curved chunkers or curved thinners and they still send them to me. And get mad when I send them back.
                            Oh well..

Jeff Andrews
                            Mobile, Alabama
                            251-232-5353
                            www.northerntails.com
                            www.ntforsale.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

Is there a certain brand though that does it right?

Comment

Working...
                              X