Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, my clippers are going out AGAIN

Hello!

I'm looking for some suggestions on clippers! J groom about 8 dogs a day, so they gotta withstand some hard work. I LOVE my Andis excels, but for the 2nd time in under a year, my cord is going out. It's an $80 fix each time, so I may just invest in something new. Help a fellow groomer out?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Andis Excel cord is roughly 45 buck (depending where you purchase). I just replaced one on my 9yr old Excels (first time it has needed replacing) it took me 5 mins to change out this cord. I also have a 2nd set of Excels that are 3 yrs old.....no issues with them either. This is with clipping appx 10 dogs a day 5 days a week.
    Are you using the tie wraps on your cord to keep it from bending? (You can read about this method on Northern Tails site)I have always tie wrapped my cord on the Excel before even reading NT'S site as one can tell it will bend easy where the cord enters the clippers and bending will short out a cord.
    8 dogs a day.....any professional clipper should hold up to this amount of dogs daily for years.
    However if you want to try a heavyer-duty clipper, look at the Double K cable driven clipper. Had those for 20 yrs and they would clip though anything at the rate of 25 dogs a day (had a bather in those days) but watch that cable...it will break down same as Excel cord if you don't tend it correctly.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Laube
      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Yeah, the cord is about $40. Very easy to change yourself but you need a small screwdriver. Worth buying a small set of drivers. You need to take better care of the cord. Like Cyn said, zip tie the cord to the hanger. You can also get a wire loom used to group wires together. That plastic loom will prevent the cord from crimping and folding and make it last longer.

Comment

I do my cords and some other things, use the instructional downloads at northerntails.com. Very helpful.

Comment

The reason your cords break all the time on Andis clippers is because of the bad design. If you look at the back of your Andis, you'll notice the cord goes in the center, and the two body halved clamp down on it to hold it in.

Years ago, back in the 90's, Andis cords were made of soft pliable rubber, we never had a cord short out. Today, the cords are made with cheap hard rubber outer skin so they can save money. As you move around the table, your actions are moving the whole cord back and forth. In a few months those body halves have dug into your cord enough to short it out.

Here is the fix. I developed a fix for the Excel because I have two running in my shop. When I first got them, it was about 7 months to the day that both cords went out within a week of each other. I though Andis programmed them to go out, lol lol

Read this article over and do the fix. If your cord isnt shorting out, do it anyway and especially on new clipper. I havent had a cord short out since I done the fix, been two years. DO NOT PUT A MONKEY CORD ON THE EXCEL, it just adds more weight to the cord and possibly it will short out quicker. Thanks

Clippers with converters on cord.pdf

-------------------------------------------
            Jeff Andrews
            Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
            Mobile, Alabama
            251-232-5353
            www.northerntails.com
            www.ntforsale.com
            [email protected]
            "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

Comment

Curious if you move around a table out in middle of room? I've never had a cord go on my Andis ( I have two AGC super two speed) in 14 years. My original set was a black single speed i sold it, never had cord issues either BUT due to my layout I'm against 2 walls and have to move dog around, I cannot move. I sit for most small dogs for this reason. I wonder if this is why in all that time of full time grooming I don't have cord issues ( to be fair my Andis are lighter use in last 5 years, I use Wahl cordless and scissor a lot)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

If you go a little further back like in my case, (20 years), the Andis clipper back then had a cord made out of very soft rubber. When you moved around the table the cord was so soft that it did not bind and and cause the WHOLE cord to move as you moved around the table. The cords back then move out past the end of the clipper where the stress relief (thick part of cord behind clipper) hooks into the clipper. When the stress relief moves, it causes the body halve that hold this cord in place to start to dig into that rubber. After a while its starts to short out.

They changed the type of rubber they used for cords around 2000-2002, and it has started this big transition of cords now starting to short out. If you dont use the ziptie method on nthe Excel cords, they will start to go in 6 months depending on how many dogs you groom a day. These cords for the Excel costs $45.00 just for the cord, and it would make anyone mad to replace them twice a year.

So, the best thing to do, since everyone knows about the problem, is to prepare for it. Use the article I wrote and ziptie the cord to the hanger in back. With the cord secured to the hanger, it is forced to bend out where the cord is suppose to bend, and not right behind the clipper where the body halves can dig into it and short it out.

The Andis excel is my opinion is the best running clipper they make. So if it takes zip-tying the cord to keep it running, thats what I'll do. Since I ziptied both Excels in my shop, Ive had no cord issues, and you should do the same.

Ill attach the procedure again so you have it.

Clippers with converters on cord.pdf

-------------------------------------------
                Jeff Andrews
                Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
                Mobile, Alabama
                251-232-5353
                www.northerntails.com
                [email protected]
                "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

Comment

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Comment