Bathing Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing Systems

Right now I just hand wash, and rinse with the hose from the tub. I have always done it this way and am comfortable with it. I like to be able to feel the entire dog with my own hands.

That said, what is the best bathing system, should I decide to get one, down the road. I would love to hear what everyone has, and their pros and cons. What did you try and love, and what did you try and hate?

THanks!

I can only comment on the Bathing Beauty, and I love it. If you get the impression that it is not hands on, that is only based on the operator. I always use my hands to ensure that they are clean to the skin, the recirculator is just a tool that makes it easier and faster. I never just add shampoo and hose away, I have a system. I wet the dogs down, then apply shampoo either straight or diluted 10:1 to the head/neck, feet, legs, butts, etc. Or all over if very dirty. If it is a double coated dog, I follow up with the zoom groom, esp. in the packed areas. If the dog is very stinky or if it is a medicated shampoo, I will let it sit in the pretty undiluted state for a few mins while I clean the ears, wash the face, trim nails, etc. Then I start up the recirculator and just work that shampoo around. I focus on feet and necks especially, or wherever the most dirty. If it is a shedding dog, I will brush the shampoo in with a slicker before getting to the washer. Sometimes I will repeat the brushing and repeat the washing. I then drain the tub, rinse the animal thoroughly and use the recirc to either apply a conditioner rinse, leave in or otherwise, or I just use a spray on leave in. If I have a dog that gets bathed frequently and is very clean to begin with, or if it is just a first wash on a dog getting medicated shampoo after, then I will just add to the water and wash that way. There are only 1 or 2 shampoos that I personally feel work that way and even then, they just don't seem as clean to me as I get them. Even though I do still do a little hand scrubbing, it beats not using one at all. When you work it around, it really gets them squeaky clean and makes rinsing so much easier when there are not concentrated spots of shampoo hanging around.

Comment

We use the Prima Bathing System at out shop. We love it. Easy to use and maintain.

Scott

Comment

I built my own recirculating (thanks neanea!) and I love it. Not only did a save a bunch of money, it saves me gobs and gobs of time bathing larger dogs. If I wasn't doing housecalls I'd use it on every dog. I first tried it on my Coonhounds. It worked great, it was fast and got them surprisingly very clean. My favorite aspect is the drastically reduced rinse time.
        That Tenacious Terrier!
        www.thattenaciousterrier.com
        https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I hold the bathing beauty in my right hand while massaging the coat with my left. Cleaner dogs in less time!

Comment

Also built my own recirc. Would hate to have to bathe every dog by hand again.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Bathing beauty all the way! I use it for everything from yorkies to huge 120 pound mutts. I never want to bathe/condition by hand again.

Comment

I too have a homemade recirc system, and love it. Pros for a homemade recirc saved a lot of money, cons had to hunt for the right parts(small town).. didnt get the foot airswitch for example cause I didnt wanna order it lol, but I get around that with my GFCI switch. Specifically on mine I know that I have a longer hose than I need right now so I have some of it propped up.. to get the recirc to get an initial suction I hold the hose vertical at the base, after it gets going tho everything is fine.

Pros for a recirc dogs come out cleaner and conditioned faster, use less product , and product rinses out easier. It really does a nice job on "rinsing out" dandruf and dirt. I do use my free hand to do some scubbing and to feel when an area is clean. If I have a really dirty OAY dog or cocker (nuff said) I will use my base shampoo add to tub plus water, wash as usual, then glop on a degreaser, some high cleansing shampoo, and some banana crunch and scrub areas like ears ect by hand(have to with Banana crunch to get the benefit). Then without rinsing and use the recirc to flush the other products very well down to the skin. Do half *ssed rinse, then fill tub with water and a bit of base shampoo and go over the dog one last time to "rinse" out any degreaser or hard to rinse product.. and just cuz lol. Works awesome, and when I washed my own thick filthy cockers they always came out clean. It also works great for show poodles with long hair such as my mini with 10" of hair. Gets the shampoo down to the skin with out damage to the coat, no tangles, and gets them cleaner than I could by hand washing them to begin with lol. Did I mention I love this machine?!

Cons, if you wanna call it that.. quite minor really. You have to take the time to fill the tub which depends on the size of tub/the more the tub tilts or has a well the less water you need and of course however much the sprayer puts out.. can be made simple by plugging drain and you wet dog down which you would have to do anyway. I use plastic screen for screen doors and rubber band it to the bottom of the recirc or one can use foot/ankle panty hose and slip it over the bottome to strain hair and such for going into the recirc. Plus at the end of the day or after particularly grundgy dogs you clean the recirc with vinegar and water.

I think that about sums it up. I think the pros by far out weigh the cons, but only you can tell for yourself whether you feel that way. I personally couldnt live without mine, even if I never groom someone elses dogs again. I really love it for my own dogs and that in and of itself is worth to have!

Comment

'star jet wash'...couldn't live without it. very simple to set up and use. around $300.00

Comment

I have the Hydrosurge bathing system. The one I have is not recirc, though, and pulls fresh water directly from the tap. I love it. I really feel that it helps the shampoo get down to the dog's skin. I usually saturate them with the shampoo and then massage gently all over with my finger tips just to make sure everything is clean. It has four hook ups for shampoo and it takes me months to go through a single gallon. I tend not to use the conditioner with it, though, as I feel it dilutes it too much. I can bathe small dogs in 3 minutes. Definitely a time saver. Also with the system I got we also got a lifetime shampoo deal through hydrosurge for three gallons of shampoo a month. I only order new shampoo maybe every four months or so. Their shampoo is not the best but a few are certainly very nice.

Comment

I use a recircuating system (Luxury Spa) and I'm very happy with it. I do use my hands on the dogs also. The recirc is great for all the reasons mentioned, and for getting conditioner all the way through those double coated dogs!

Haven't tried other types of systems, but one reason I went with the recirc is because I can use any shampoo with it.

Comment

For those of you that built your recirc what did you use? The new shop I'm at has some kind of pump and you just fill up the tub with water and a bit of shampoo and flip a switch.
                        My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

me too!

Originally posted by itsgot2bme View Post
                          For those of you that built your recirc what did you use? The new shop I'm at has some kind of pump and you just fill up the tub with water and a bit of shampoo and flip a switch.
                          I was toying with the idea of making my own recirc system also, but was wondering about the pump's horse power amount - How much HP does your machine use?

Comment

Working...
                          X