alternative to stand dryer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to stand dryer?

I need to fluff dry a standard poodle in full coat, but none of the shops I work at have a stand dryer. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this with an HV?

Yes, there is. But you either have to have the arm & clamp that holds the darned hose, or you have to be really coordinated.

OK, so there is a way to do it if you don't have something to hold the hose. Take it completely off. Sit the dryer on a table or counter top so it's blowing at the dog. You'll need to back it off from the grooming table a bit. Play around with the distance until the air flow suits you. Use one motor.

Comment

They make a great Groomers third arm thing now,not like the old ones that flopped. It will clamp to the table,and has a flexible metal arm with a stron pincer for holding and pointing your hv noxzzle,or a blow dryer. thus leaving your hands free to fluff away. I forget where to get them though. hopefully some one will know. They are great I need one too.
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

found one in ryan's and petedge for $20. sweet! so what's the benefit to having an hv and a stand dryer? why would people have both if you can just use the third arm?

Comment

Originally posted by Valschunk View Post
          found one in ryan's and petedge for $20. sweet! so what's the benefit to having an hv and a stand dryer? why would people have both if you can just use the third arm?
          I didn't really get it until I had a standard with exceptional coat (Jet). Anyhow, with her, I can really tell the difference when I finish with the stand. Everyone else, not so much. I have the Double K nice blue one

Comment

I bought one of those third arm things which was 2 clamps and a bendable gooseneck in between. I found the clamps to be so tight that it wouldn't hold my dryer, or it would squish it. Do they make ones that more cradle the nozzle?

Comment

Never met a standard (or any other breed) I couldn't finish 90% with an HV dryer and the last 10% with a hand blow dryer. In fact, it's easier for me than the stand dryer. I have learned how to prop the nozzle up with a brush laying it down on the table to do feet....and no dog yet is fast enough to escape from me and my hand dryer for head and ears!! I really think you need the heat in the end to straighten and smooth....hv all the way just never cuts it for me....

Comment

I straighten my poodle out with the HV once he's 95% dry I take the nozzle off then hold the hose directly on his skin while moving it slowly on him the force and and heat combined will straighten that coat right out.I refuse to brush while drying a dog.

Comment

I think no breed looks as smooth or fluffy with just an hv, love both, different purposes. jmo
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I have found that if I totally brush the coat out before I start drying, I get a nicer finish with the HV.

Comment

Chris Christensen (cherrybrook) has an arm and clamp that I use. VERY sturdy, and the hose isn't clamped into place, it's postioned with a rubber band-y looking thing. It's expensive but the best quality I've found and it truly works. And it's less expensive than buying a stand dryer, haha! I don't have room for both and I take the nozzle off my K-9 II, clamp it in, and finish the last 5%. Works great.
                      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I typically use the hv til the dog is about 90-95% dry and then I use just a regular human hair dryer and go over the whole dog to set the hair with the heat. It's better if you have a HV that gets warm while drying, it takes a lot less time to go back and finish with the hand held dryer. I also use a third arm thingy, I have one that has a clamp at both ends, and then i have one that has a holder for the hand held dryer and it bungees it in. When I HV and brush I usually just stick the HV under my arm, right in my armpit, that way I have the use of both hands.

Comment

Originally posted by elizo View Post
                          I really think you need the heat in the end to straighten and smooth.......
                          Using heat weakens coat. If you want that poodle hair to continue to fluff properly use a stand dryer setup. Heat includes hotter than tepid water, dryers, and clippers.

But, of course in pet grooming we have to strike a balance between proper and presentable.

I use a clamp style arm and HV and it works great!

Comment

Working...
                          X