Dryers for New Salon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryers for New Salon

I am setting up a new salon, and need some help deciding which dryers to go for first. I definitely want High Velocity, and have been thinking the K9-III is the most popular, but I don't see how it attaches to cages for cage drying. I have never used it before but I see it has some heat. I also need a heat dryer for finish drying, would the K9-III do the job the whole way through?. Not sure if I need a separate cage dryer, if I should invest in a stand dryer or hand dryer first etc. - to start I will be on my own, grooming about 3 dogs in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, and will be doing some cage drying - have not decided with or without heat, but will definitely need to be able to cage dry while hand drying. I don't mind spending some money to get the necessary tools, but if I can build up over time to a full line of dryers, that would be more cost effective. I can't decide what to go for first to get myself going. Note I will be grooming all sizes and coats, and my grooming space is small - about 10x10 including tub, table and a few cages. Thanks for your help!!

I would definitely go with the k9III for an HV, you will not be sorry. It is worth the initial investment since the time you save drying big hairy dogs will make the extra cash you spend on the dryer back almost immediately. I dry giant sized hairy breeds with this dryer in 15 mins max. It is too powerful though t o be used as a cage dryer, unless you want your dogs sitting in a high speed wind tunnel and coming out with hair that had been dried parted and sticking up in crazy directions. I purchased my K9III at a very good price from someone who had a long history of (and good feedback) selling them on ebay.

I use my little old orange Metro (with a cage attachment from Pet Edge) as a cage dryer. These are nice since they are versatile, can be moved around easily, and are easy to transport if you need to take a dryer with you somewhere. You can also use it as a backup HV dryer if need-be.

Just make sure the dryer you use for cages has NO heating element and your cages are well ventilated. Using a heat element in a cage is asking for accidental deaths to happen. Temps can soar to deadly levels VERY fast - also severe burns on dogs who lay down and allow a heated dryer to hit their skin in the same spot for any period of time.

Comment

I'm not sure if there are force dryers that you could use as a cage dryer, since they are pretty powerful I wouldn't want to point that into a cage with a pup. The K-III is a great force dryer though (especially with having 2 speeds) and I would probably invest in that first since you'll be starting small and working your way to more clients. I liked the Dri-Eaz Sahara cage dryers and Edemco has a nice Cage Pet Dryer with a timer. A stand dryer is nice to have but it depends on the types of clients you have. If you have a lot of full coat Yorkies, Maltese, etc. then a stand dryer is definitely worth it. If you do mostly big hairy farm dogs I don't think you'd be using the stand dryer as much then. Unless its a long drop coated breed, I usually only use a stand dryer for long ears (poodle, shih tzus, etc.) and the face if they don't like the force dryer too much.

Comment

Get the K9 III. Watch craigslist for a stand dryer. It took me almost six months but I got an oster for 70. I dont like to cage dry so I bath hv a little put them in a kennel to air dry and then finish dry them when I get ready to groom. Works great. Otherwise just invest in a box fan for cage drying. I see no need for a cage dryer unless you are super busy or have multiple grroomers. Plus this gives you a chance to see what your needs really are.

Comment

PLEASE before you buy a cage dryer, read my series on drying in my blog. We are going to be starting some tests soon on how hot cages get when a dryer is used in them. Waiting on thermometers is all.

I love my K9III but if you can afford it get a Davis or Romani with variable speed instead. POWERFUL DRYERS with more control. If you cannot afford them, then the K9 is the best bet IMO. All of those dryers pull a lot of amps so check your electrical load as well. Make sure your building can handle it.

I use a hand held human hair dryer with a dryer stand (Frank Rowe and Chris Christenson, AND GroomsHelper have them). Much cheaper and easy to control. I have a Edemco stand dryer but it needs repaired and I have about decided to just keep with what I have.

Cage dryers are nice, but in most cases a simple box fan in a warm room will do you the best. I think though, if you are only doing 6 dogs a day total, you can hand dry them easily.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Great suggestions! I am definitely aware of concerns with heat drying with cages - would love to get the dri eaze with the 3 attachments and no heat dry, just don't think I should get that right away, and it might not fit in my room. I will have a look at Davis and Romani - not sure if I can get them in Canada though. I think if/when I cage dry it will be with no heat, just a fan to keep them drying while I pre clip and bathe others.

Comment

Ya know, I threw away my three hose attachment for the Sahara. It put out very little air in the cages it was used on and leaked around the dryer itself, so it was not efficient. the hoses also tore up a lot and had to b e replaced nnot to mention how hard it was to store. IMO its better to use a few box fans than have that mess. LOVE the dryer, not the hoses.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

My concern when using "box fans" is hypothermia, I know this sounds extreme but it is actually more common than people know. When I first heard about it, I thought "pets with hypothermia during summer in Florida"- then after researching I knew that I wouldn't run the risk by using box fans.

Comment

I have to agree with gracie on the box fan I crawled in a cage with a husky trying to fix his towel i was of course wet from bathing that lg baby dog (huge dog brain of a 6 month old pup) it was freezing with the air mover on.I couldnt stand it .so I hand dried that beastly hair .took 45 minutes.

Comment

If used correctly, the dog is mostly dry by the time the fans are turned on. ou force dry them as much as you can then place them under the fans for a breif time. Drieaze actually uses the same basic technology. Volume air, no heat.

BBIrd uses them, I use them, MANY MANY top groomers do. If it makes you uncomfortable then DON'T but in my warm room (always 70--75 degrees) they are fast, efficient and dogs do not get cold. They are barely wet by the time they go in the cage dryer, usually only their faces are slightly wet.

It is a tried and true, thouroughly tested way to dry dogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X